Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

They don't really have ads as often as that, a lot of it is advertising tours in USA etc that they just cut to an ad break on Sky Sports for.

No the advert breaks are as often on the USA Network. It's just that sometimes WWE will promote something of their own 30 seconds before they go back to the live feed. This sometimes results in Sky airing a few seconds of this as they rejoin the USA Network simulcast.

They don't really have ads as often as that, a lot of it is advertising tours in USA etc that they just cut to an ad break on Sky Sports for.

No the advert breaks are as often on the USA Network. It's just that sometimes WWE will promote something of their own 30 seconds before they go back to the live feed. This sometimes results in Sky airing a few seconds of this as they rejoin the USA Network simulcast.

Ah right, that's my bad then. Staggering to think they'd have that many ad breaks. I usually prefer USA method of a longer ad break at start and end of shows so can watch all of the middle uninterrupted as well. Or at least that's how Lost was!

A live episode of Raw has adverts every five fucking minutes. It's insufferable. How does that compare to UFC and other TV shows over there? Ad rates might be low for WWE but they must coin it in through sheer volume.

Whatever they have on Raw is normal for American TV.   You must watch American shows here where it's obvious it goes to an ad break, but it doesn't, if you know what I mean.

I don't think that's true.  We get the same amount of ad breaks when we watch it live as they do, they just last a bit longer for us, because certain stuff being promoted specifically to an American audience, or stuff where promoting it is against broadcasting laws here or whatever we just get that Raw logo for a bit.

Sorry - others replied saying the same thing while I was thinking about something else.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members

In general, US TV has more individual ad breaks than would be typical for UK TV, but UK ad breaks would be longer. The actual total number of minutes of ads in each, say, hour is about the same (about 16mins each hour).

Obviously we get the US-style ad break numbers/lengths when we watch a live airing of a US show, like a WWE Raw or a UFC FS1 Fight Night.

WWE Raw isn't live in the West Coast is it?

Usually Sports are aired live in the States, The UFC on Spike usually aried in tape delay in the West coast and I think Bellator does the same with HBO Boxing After Dark.

I think Nitro used to air live then an immediate replay straight after

Edited by the_mole

In general, US TV has more individual ad breaks than would be typical for UK TV, but UK ad breaks would be longer. The actual total number of minutes of ads in each, say, hour is about the same (about 16mins each hour).

Obviously we get the US-style ad break numbers/lengths when we watch a live airing of a US show, like a WWE Raw or a UFC FS1 Fight Night.

OFCOM regulations in the UK limit broadcasters to just 12 minutes an hour, over 4 ad breaks (roughly, though its 3 if the slot straddles an hour).

Live content can have more breaks, but the 12 min rule is pretty strict. If it's going to exceed that, UK broadcasters need to fill the rest of the time with promo content.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

OFCOM regulations in the UK limit broadcasters to just 12 minutes an hour, over 4 ad breaks (roughly, though its 3 if the slot straddles an hour).

Live content can have more breaks, but the 12 min rule is pretty strict. If it's going to exceed that, UK broadcasters need to fill the rest of the time with promo content.

I thought Lost on Channel 4 was the first show to do away with that rule, breaks before credits and so forth. Channel 4 got wrapped for it, but they still did it

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/528760/channel-4-found-breach-rules-ad-break-timing-lost

Placement is different from amount.

If you've got an hour show, you can still only take 3 internal breaks and a 4th Junction Break if the show is ending.

Channel 4 are serial offenders for pissing about with placements, though.

• Paid Members

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/733041852664811520

Batista posts an accurate response to Stephanie McMahon tweeting about slapping wrestlers, essentially echoing what people on here have been saying for years.

Speaking of people being late to the party.

Speaking of people to ignorant to realise people generally don't read every single thread on here

Anyway Snitsky, it's in the random post thread as well. It's a good read. Clint makes a ludicrous claim and everyone puts him right

Edited by Nick Soapdish

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/733041852664811520

Batista posts an accurate response to Stephanie McMahon tweeting about slapping wrestlers, essentially echoing what people on here have been saying for years.

Speaking of people being late to the party.

Clint makes a ludicrous claim and everyone puts him right

Slight exaggeration there. I mean people have really been agreeing with you lately right?