Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

My boss enjoys "outing" my wrestling fandom to pretty much anyone in the office that stops by our department, hoping for derision and embarassment. Today it was the head of HR, who had to check she heard "Wrestlemania" three times before immediately texting her husband asking him to send her the photo of him and the Iron Sheik at her cousin's wedding (possibly to one of his Children). Then she told us about how her Aunt used to have Hogan, Sheik and several other wrestlers round for Friday dinner until Sheik's drug problem got so bad that she banned all wrestlers from coming round the house.

All the while I'm desperately resisting the urge to shout "FAAACKIN BULLSHET."

With regards to Sky I for one am quite happy the WWE gave them a bit of a shafting.

Feels like a nice bit of revenge for the average freeview customer who have lost virtually all live football from next season.

Pay to fucking watch it then, everyone wants stuff for free nowadays, just go to the pub and drink cordial when there's a game you want to watch if you don't want to pay for Sky/BT

To be fair it isn't about something for nothing. Its about one or two companies making a monopoly on sporting events for themselves. European cup competition and The Open in golf has been lost to those companies this year, long traditions lost to money. Its about balance and how long until Sky & BT take the rights to the likes of Wimbledon or the World Cup. Yes at the moment they are protected bit for how long.

I am more than happy to go the pub or pay for something I want to see I'm just saying I'm happy to see Sky take a little hit for once.

Full list at: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/listed_events.pdf

Wimbledon is among the events that have to be offered live to channels available in 95% of home, which means anything Freeview now. The Open is category B, where only highlights have to be offered.

Thanks for that list. I knew there was a list of sorts.

When you look at it how long can the BBC fund the Six Nations? That looks most at risk.