Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Buddy Rogers beat Antonino Rocca in a made-up tournament to become the first WWWF Champion as well, didn't he? And didn't they claim that took place in Rio too?

No buddy Rodgers was just given the belt after a dispute over the finish in an nwa title match.

Hogan's brilliant. WWE's plans for him between now and WrestleMania no doubt go about as far as him coming to the ring on Raw to do a generic, half-forgotten promo promoting the network's lack of six-month commitment, but he's training for it like he's challenging Savage for the belt.

Who is there from his era who just saved their money and got fat and probably leads a comfortable lifestyle now?

• Paid Members

Maybe a side topic, but how would you make people care about the IC and US title?

Well for the last 4 months WWE has made the WWE Championship itself seem like it's not important so I don't think they really give a fuck about the IC and US titles at the moment. That's probably why they play hot potato with them. Just to remind people that those titles are still there, not that many people care these days. The days when the Intercontinental title meant anything are long gone which is a shame really. 

I still love the background story that they came up with for introducing the IC title to the business that Pat Patterson had allegedly won it in Rio de Janeiro during a tournament.

To specify (and this is what I love in particular about the story), he was the WWWF North American champion and he won the South American championship in the Rio tournament, thus unifying the two and creating the IC. I was particularly glad when someone on here finally explained this to me, because for years, the word "Inter-Continental" seemed like it wasn't any different in meaning from "World" - after all, all humans live on continents, don't they? So it was good to know they meant two specific continents.

So a hybrid between Breaking Bad and pro wrestling? He says it's not a pie in the sky idea but that's exactly what it is. None of them live in the real world, it's like who can dream up the next big idea to stop us all having to get real jobs.

They should just film behind the scenes, in the locker rooms and in the cars of a handful of independent wrestlers as they travel on the road from show to show and edit that into a TV series. Have them ham it up for the cameras. Broken down wrestlers smoking drugs before going and wrestling in front of 50 people, that's your reality based Breaking Bad ready made.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Who did he beat to unify the Australasian Championship?

and the Asian Championship???

That has always been a misconception, Unifying a North American & South American Championship would theoretically make it 'the WWE Americas Championship'.

Hey, I'm only telling like I was told, which is what I wrote above.

As to the term "Inter-Continental", I have seen it used in literature to refer to the Americas; during the War of Independence, the then government of the rebel colonies was called the Continental Congress and the militia were the Continental army.