Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
This is a guy who if im not mistaken risked his life to save old WWF master tapes in a fire?

Nearly. It was his father, Dennis Dunn, whose car caught fire with weeks of TV shows in the boot. Dunn risked his life to get them out rather than see the company stuck in a quandry, and so ingratiated himself with Vince's father. Kevin Dunn joined the team after the reins had been passed from Vince Sr to Jr, but the goodwill that Dennis Dunn had stayed with Kevin, who makes even more money than listed above, since that figure is base salary and doesn't take into account stock awards (~$680k in 2011, ~$750k in 2010).

Anyone know what injuries Taker is actually carrying? If he's not healed with a full calendar year, you have to assume they are injuries that will never heal enough for him to work a proper match again.

• Paid Members
Anyone know what injuries Taker is actually carrying? If he's not healed with a full calendar year, you have to assume they are injuries that will never heal enough for him to work a proper match again.

IIRC he had some sort of shoulder surgery, and whilst he's mostly healed up, he's just not in good enough shape to compete.

Being dead takes a lot out of you.

Taker's a perfectionist. He'd be able to work basic stuff, punches, chokeslam, last ride, tombstone, but he couldn't deliver at the benchmark he's set over the past 5 years for Wrestlemania-caliber matches. I understand his desire to perform at his best, and if he never wrestles again, 20-0 in an epic match coined "End of an Era" is really the perfect way to bow out. Selfishly, I want Cena vs. Taker at WM30 though.

• Paid Members

He's had all kinds of injuries going back to the mid-90s, which he works through. He was going to retire in 99 because he was so banged up. His knees, back, neck, shoulders, the lot. He's 48 as well, which isn't painting the best picture. Its also a case that his matches are all planned out well in advance. The Shawn matches and the Triple H matches were worked on months before the event took place, getting his fitness levels up to do half an hour and working out all the spots down to a fine art. So the fact he isn't actually in training currently is a big indication he might not be working Mania. He still might of course, but he isn't the complaining type. You would think if he wanted to wrestle at Mania, he wouldn't be speaking up about how banged up he is.

For me, as soon as the hair went, he didn't look like the Undertaker. Something just looks wrong. And if he's got a gut on him, that would make him look more of a parody. I remember last year when he turned up in the wig, if that match wasn't locked in well in advance I wonder if he'd have done it. When the picture came out of him with no hair that looked like he was settled into retirement then.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
For me, as soon as the hair went, he didn't look like the Undertaker. Something just looks wrong. And if he's got a gut on him, that would make him look more of a parody. I remember last year when he turned up in the wig, if that match wasn't locked in well in advance I wonder if he'd have done it. When the picture came out of him with no hair that looked like he was settled into retirement then.

I didn't think that at 'Mania, but i did at Raw 1000. I remember when that picture surfaced loads of people said he looked like Christopher Lloyd. I can imagine him looking just like Christopher Lloyd in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' eventually, cane and all. That's if he ever happened to turn up on TV again post career in some sort of retirement/Hall of Fame thing.

I wouldn't mind Undertaker missing this years 'Mania like CTX said, it's not essential and it could add to appeal of him returning next year for one more time. I think that would be just about the most suitable way for him to lose a 'Mania match if they ever wanted to do that. But considering those things you mentioned, that he'd be planning the match out and training for it months in advance, if he isn't at that point this year it seems a bit odd we got the tease from Triple H at the Slammys. We definitely haven't seen the last of him, i'm sure. But i can't see it being worth having him this year and risk definitely not having him next year, when even if he couldn't make next year, he bowed out in perfect fashion last year.

• Paid Members

I'm just speculating, but maybe he doesn't fancy putting his body through all that pain for a bloke the level of Punk. Frankly, if I was in 'Taker's position I'm not sure I'd bother if I was the 'third main event' and not facing a Shawn Michaels or Triple H.

It's a wise move to wait a year and get a better spot with a Lesnar or Cena.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Paid Members

For me, the Punk thing would only work if he still had the 400-day streak. I think someone said on here Punk lost at Rumble, he's definitely doing one in the middle at Elimination Chamber. How can you rebuild him in time for WrestleMania to go against the Undertaker's Streak? Punk needs a win at Mania to get himself back on the tracks. Whether that's against Ryback or Orton or Jericho (with the roles reversed from last year). If he loses at EC and WrestleMania, that's Chris Jericho-post Undisputed title run stuff. He's better off beating a semi-level star than doing a job for a major star in convincing fashion.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
It's a fair point, but possibly WWE see it differently. Who else is there for 'Taker to face, if he does bother to come back for #29?

Cena. He's probably the only guy with the profile and ability to have the kind of epic match with 'Taker that the whole mystique of the Streak requires.

EDIT: Shit, just read you wrote 29, not thirty. Ignore the above.

Edited by Carbomb