Harsh insight into a British Wrestling publication.

SonToTheRescue

• Paid Members

haha should I avoid you if we ever meet, just incase your hatred of academics gets too much? :p

Nah I get what you mean, there are enough people at college that drop out of Film because they find out its just not watching Films all day, however I was somewhat blessed in getting a Film tutor that is Welsh, a massive football fan and more interested in wrestling than any teacher I've met after showing him a bunch of Mexican stuff for background on watching Mexican films as our exam this year. Guess you've just gotta find the teachers that don't make it boring.

Personally on the depression of not making films, I'm freaking useless with a camera but the lighting and sound and stuff I can work with really well. Maybe a background role in film at the best in terms of practical but I can easily tell you why I enjoyed Kick Ass much more for its camera and sound effects haha

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha should I avoid you if we ever meet, just incase your hatred of academics gets too much? :p

No, it's not violent or anything. Just seething, impotent rage. If anything, I'll take it out on prostitutes when I'm in my fifties.

Nah I get what you mean, there are enough people at college that drop out of Film because they find out its just not watching Films all day

For me, it was a lot of watching films all day. Not good ones, mind. Old, boring French new wave ones by Jean Luc Picard that were just a car driving round for three hours. Or the one about photography and murder set in swinging London. Then someone waffling about diegetic and non-diegetic sound for an hour as a shower of cunts sat trying to look like they were paying attention but really thinking about what they were going to dress up as that begins with the letter B for the pub crawl that night. Bag o' shite.

I was reading up on what it takes to get an assistant writer's job at WWE the other day. You need a year's practical experience in scriptwriting, producing or editing, a good knowledge of the product and a degree in a media course. Then, I presume, you can try work your way up to becoming a writer. And obviously there's tons of travel. Still, one can dream.

• Paid Members

haha see those type of films I could live with at Uni, guess just different tastes really. It is what I plan to do with my future, now that I've finally got my priorities right finally.

Final year of college (meaning I leave at 19 because I pissed about way too much the first year) onto uni, onto teaching. Nothing too exciting but it'll leave me with opeprtunities at the age of 23ish to make decent enough money for someone of that age so.

Also means I can go back to training to wrestle once I stop being a skinny runt.

• Paid Members
For me, it was a lot of watching films all day. Not good ones, mind. Old, boring French new wave ones by Jean Luc Picard that were just a car driving round for three hours. Or the one about photography and murder set in swinging London. Then someone waffling about diegetic and non-diegetic sound for an hour as a shower of cunts sat trying to look like they were paying attention but really thinking about what they were going to dress up as that begins with the letter B for the pub crawl that night. Bag o' shite.

Ahh, it's like it's 2001 all over again. Did you ever get subjected to Laura Mulvey and her drivel? *shudders*

• Awards Moderator

I can kind of understand the magazine being snotty in their initial response. After all, the information Original Poster needed was right there in their publication - all he had to do was read the thing or check its pages. They'd probably want to know that a prospective contributor knows his stuff regarding what they do. If his letter had said, "I know on page 7 it says this, but look at how amazing I am, go on, give us a go anyway", and had received a response or greater or equal snottiness, he'd have a better point to be getting on with.

On the other hand, the magazine's reply puts me in mind of the kind of emails my manager sends, and he's a twat, so my sympathies also to SonToTheRescue.

EDIT: I would be interested to know if "Bag o' Shite" was what Pitcos went to the Begins With B Pubcrawl as.

I don't want to come across as dickish here, but as an aspiring journalist myself (games though, not wrestling), one major thing you want to avoid is spelling and grammar mistakes in your writing. Whether it be an application to somewhere or the work itself, it makes you look like a kid just wanting to scribble anything down that you think looks class.

It's not that big of a deal on here of course, as this is just a forum, but if you want to be treat like a professional then act/write like one.

Petty though it may be, this gave me a chuckle.

Ahh, it's like it's 2001 all over again. Did you ever get subjected to Laura Mulvey and her drivel? *shudders*

I only remember all that "male gaze" stuff from A Level ("you know what's misogynistic? Slasher films! Also, everything else!"), but it almost definitely factored into at least one module on the degree as well. I tuned out a lot of stuff at university because it was just reiterating content I'd already gone through at school or independently.

I would be interested to know if "Bag o' Shite" was what Pitcos went to the Begins With B Pubcrawl as.

Woo! I wrote that as "begins with an F" at first, and switched it to the B to tie in with the Bag o' Shite line (which was initially planned to go before that long sentence with the diegetic sound reference, then shifted to the end as it made a good closer) for the reader's pleasure. I wasn't sure anyone would consciously connect it because I have a low opinion of everyone's intellect and comprehension skills, but felt the delayed or fractured alliteration would provide the reader a sense of satisfaction on at least a subconscious level.

See, soullessly analysing glorious things (like my posts, or episodes of Chris Morris' Jam) is boring and crap.

• Paid Members
My Film & TV degree has served me just fine, it's actually landed me a well paid job recently and there's more opportunities on the way for me. It's what you make of it at the end of the day, so fuck twinn and his shitty generalisations and his shitty spelling.

This!

My Media Degree gave me studio experience that I couldn't have got without it (like most industries its very closed and more who you know) and the contacts I made from it got me a job working for the Premiership for 5 years, getting paid to watch football so yeah, go fuck yourself and so on.

But Power Slam seem like twats with work experience, I've worked for organisations far bigger than Power Slam who have been nothing but hospitable and helping and gave me a chance. Fin just seems like a tiresome old grinch who can't be arsed with young folk who have the termerity to want to succeed in his line of work.

Don't get too down about it, you will encounter people like that, and you'll encounter people who'll be nothing but helpful.

On the flipside, when I contacted Fin about work a few years back, I offered up some feature ideas which hadn't been done in the mag before and some examples of my written work, and he replied with a 90-minute phone call and a commission for several hundred pounds' worth of work.

I don't want to sound like a prick about this, but it all rather hinges on whether your writing is good enough, doesn't it? He doesn't owe anyone a tour of his living room just because they have a media degree and a few fanzine columns under their belt.

But Power Slam seem like twats with work experience, I've worked for organisations far bigger than Power Slam who have been nothing but hospitable and helping and gave me a chance. Fin just seems like a tiresome old grinch who can't be arsed with young folk who have the termerity to want to succeed in his line of work.

Don't get too down about it, you will encounter people like that, and you'll encounter people who'll be nothing but helpful.

On the flipside, when I contacted Fin about work a few years back, I offered up some feature ideas which hadn't been done in the mag before and some examples of my written work, and he replied with a 90-minute phone call and a commission for several hundred pounds' worth of work.

I don't want to sound like a prick about this, but it all rather hinges on whether your writing is good enough, doesn't it? He doesn't owe anyone a tour of his living room just because they have a media degree and a few fanzine columns under their belt.

id be inclined to agree with you, if he'd actually read any of my stuff.

Archived