Harsh insight into a British Wrestling publication.

SonToTheRescue

Get used to rejection, OP. Christ knows how many emails the editor of a magazine gets every day, I'm surprised your unsolicited mail got any response at all.

I'm applying for new jobs at the moment, and having been in the position of being the employer I know that busy people often forget to reply to emails even if they feel inclined to. You have to spread your net wide and not take anything personally. If you start down the road of blowing up every time you get a rejection, it's going to be a long road to your first job.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever get subjected to Laura Mulvey and her drivel? *shudders*

Holds hand up.

Been there, done that disproved her theories, using the Alien Quartet of all films and that is monsterous feminine in some circles, came up with a number of other gazes to boot, using the same material.

Last time I read anything about her, she had back tracked quite a bit, nearly completely iirc, that women were only in films to be looked at for male pleasure and couldnt drive the narrative of a film among other things

Dunno, if she had stopped going on that women were forced into a lesbian gaze, by sexualising women from a male perspective whilst watching films though. Cos that is clearly what happens isnt it? :duh:

This whole thing's a work.

The OP is Fin Martin, who is downright sick of the slagging he's got on here lately, and has crafted a marvellous plan to finally get people on his side a bit. To make it a truly multimedia angle, it all happens right around the time he prints that little tidbit about not contacting them for work experience on Page 7.

Don't fall in to Fin's trap. Instead, pick a favourite wrestling related thing you would like to happen to him.

Mine would be for John Cena to STF him for 7 hours, or for Khali to split his head with a chop. What about you?

This whole thing's a work.

The OP is Fin Martin, who is downright sick of the slagging he's got on here lately, and has crafted a marvellous plan to finally get people on his side a bit. To make it a truly multimedia angle, it all happens right around the time he prints that little tidbit about not contacting them for work experience on Page 7.

As silly as the OP may have been, I don't think anyone thinks Fin is any less of a cunt than they did pre-thread. Fin is the worst.

Don't fall in to Fin's trap. Instead, pick a favourite wrestling related thing you would like to happen to him.

Mine would be for John Cena to STF him for 7 hours

I think you mean the NPSTF lol. It wouldn't hurt.

What about you?

Viscerape/Stinkface combo, then he gets up into a million ROH-style head-drop suplexes that break his neck and back in several places and give him multiple concussions, but no spinal damage outside of a bit of a hunch when he walks. Anyway, after the last suplex, John Cena hits him with the Five Knuckle Shuffle and an Attitude Adjustment through a window. Fin lands on shards of broken glass, then the spitter from Jurassic Park gets him. Then Just Joe shouts through the fence that his family have all just died in a fire.

I don't want to come across as dickish here, but as an aspiring journalist myself (games though, not wrestling), one major thing you want to avoid is spelling and grammar mistakes in your writing. Whether it be an application to somewhere or the work itself, it makes you look like a kid just wanting to scribble anything down that you think looks class.

It's not that big of a deal on here of course, as this is just a forum, but if you want to be treat like a professional then act/write like one.

Antagonising people who turn you down because you didn't like their tone won't get you anywhere either. What if one day they're looking for someone? They won't accept the guy who had a pop at them, wrote about them on a forum and sent badly written messages.

This. When you're starting out you lack the relative experience to get published. Bare in mind there's gonna be hundreds of people out there wanting the same gig you're after. It's nothing personal towards the writer to get turned down. Even if they were being a dick to the original poster. An editor is gonna hire someone who's done this work before for other noted publications/websites. Who can follow a brief and who's work doesn't need editing or proofreading. That's the harsh reality, you have to work at your craft, listen to the feedback -if any- and be a professional. Talking about it openly like this just makes one look unprofessional. Trust me, I know

• Paid Members
You guys who know of Laura Mulvey; did you ever have to watch her film, The Riddles of the Sphinx? I have no idea how anyone took her criticism seriously when that's what she makes herself.

Never had the misfortune. Just read up about it and it sounds exactly the same pretentious bollocks that I would expect it to be.

She does look a bit like Lizzie Birdsworth, though, it has to be said.

A degree in "Film and Televison". LOL

I presume you're going to elaborate on that.

I assumed he was just addressing the fact that "Television" has been spelled wrong (and the impression that gives of someone after a writing job).

The OP didn't misspell it, Twinn did.

Thanks for pointing that out, Chris. Otherwise I'd have not known this important fact despite it being mentioned a few pages back :rolleyes:

Archived