Harsh insight into a British Wrestling publication.

SonToTheRescue

But Power Slam seem like twats with work experience, I've worked for organisations far bigger than Power Slam who have been nothing but hospitable and helping and gave me a chance. Fin just seems like a tiresome old grinch who can't be arsed with young folk who have the termerity to want to succeed in his line of work.

Don't get too down about it, you will encounter people like that, and you'll encounter people who'll be nothing but helpful.

On the flipside, when I contacted Fin about work a few years back, I offered up some feature ideas which hadn't been done in the mag before and some examples of my written work, and he replied with a 90-minute phone call and a commission for several hundred pounds' worth of work.

I don't want to sound like a prick about this, but it all rather hinges on whether your writing is good enough, doesn't it? He doesn't owe anyone a tour of his living room just because they have a media degree and a few fanzine columns under their belt.

id be inclined to agree with you, if he'd actually read any of my stuff.

What examples did you include?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this about Fin.

Regardless of his wrestling opinions which some I agree with and some I dont, he has always been polite and friendly with me when I have emailed him in the past.

I did notice on his Twitter a while back that he was fed up with people sending him messages about work experiance though.

• Paid Members
Besides, I'm not too sure if aspiring to write for a wrestling magazine in this day and age is the smartest move ever;

I'm pretty sure he didn't say he was aspiring to do that, merely looking for some additional experience.

A degree in "Film and Televison". LOL

I presume you're going to elaborate on that.

I assumed he was just addressing the fact that "Television" has been spelled wrong (and the impression that gives of someone after a writing job).

The OP didn't misspell it, Twinn did. I think Twinns attitude is pretty shitty actually. Depending on the job you hope to do this could be a very important course as others have already said.

The point isn't that your spelling and grammar isn't amazing. That's not necessarily a problem day to day.

But when you are writing to a prospective employer, you need to get stuff like that right. Especially when they are a professional journalist! Use a spellcheck function and get someone more literate to proof-read your work. If you can't be arsed to take the time to take yourself seriously, I don't see why he should.

I'm not sure whether it's the case or not, but people seem to be assuming what he sent to PowerSlam was identical to what he's just posted here. This is a wrestling forum, what he sent out may well have correct.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who seem to disagree with the OP. I think that's a really poor response from a magazine such as PowerSlam. Let's not forget, the OP is the student, they are supposed to be much more professional after a number of years in business than he is. No reply at all would have been better than that snotty one.

I'm not sure whether it's the case or not, but people seem to be assuming what he sent to PowerSlam was identical to what he's just posted here. This is a wrestling forum, what he sent out may well have correct.

He certainly gives the impression he's quoting directly/pasting from the original email. If not, I would think he'd have clarified that by now.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who seem to disagree with the OP. I think that's a really poor response from a magazine such as PowerSlam. Let's not forget, the OP is the student, they are supposed to be much more professional after a number of years in business than he is. No reply at all would have been better than that snotty one.

To be honest, you would expect they'd just have a stock rejection letter.

• Paid Members
Always love it when Neutral Kris rocks up during a debate.

SEX AND DRUGS AND SITTING ON FENCES

IF FOUND PLEASE RETURN TO THE FENCE

ARSE SPLINTERS.

I'm going to start marketing that one.

WTF are you lot on about? I'm quite clearly on the side of the OP! Perhaps I should be more of a cunt with my opinions sometimes, but we already have Mr. Seven for that.

EDIT: Mr. Seven didn't actually offer up an opinon on the topic, just wandered into the thread to flame and he likes to do on occasion.

• Paid Members
Always love it when Neutral Kris rocks up during a debate.

SEX AND DRUGS AND SITTING ON FENCES

IF FOUND PLEASE RETURN TO THE FENCE

ARSE SPLINTERS.

I'm going to start marketing that one.

WTF are you lot on about? I'm quite clearly on the side of the OP! Perhaps I should be more of a cunt with my opinions sometimes, but we already have Mr. Seven for that.

Ohh dear.

Edit: Off on side but the merit of a degree seems to be devaluing at an alarming rate. PS are knobs and so is the OP. That seems fair.

Archived