Harsh insight into a British Wrestling publication.

SonToTheRescue

Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed that. Well there goes that rant.

Were you going to have a rant about him mocking Mickey Mouse degrees, Gladrags?

insult or not that made me laugh, but no i just figured it was something worth putting out there on the off chance anyone else had experienced anythi g similar.

I once wrote in correcting a retarded letter they'd printed the month before, but it turned out Fin had made the letter up or something.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A degree in "Film and Televison". LOL

I presume you're going to elaborate on that.

It's nothing to do with that.

ACTUALLY

He spelt it right and I spelt it wrong, haha.

Anyway my point was just a twatty comment mocking his degree. I just find it an odd degree to be doing. I know there's the saying "A degree's a degree" but some are more beneficial than others and are seen as important. For example I put a degree like that into a hobby, similar to media and art.

I just think with how shit the job market it is, it's essential that you pick a decent one unless if you pick a unique degree and have something to back it up upon completion of the degree. To back this up with the recent student fee increase there has been a decrease of over 40% less students applying for media degrees.

But this has fuck all to do with the topic. Just explaining my comment previously.

your spot on sir, thats why I'm trying to find as much independent work as possible.

• Paid Members
Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed that. Well there goes that rant.

Were you going to have a rant about him mocking Mickey Mouse degrees, Gladrags?

Yes I was but I'm off for a meeting with the Cambridge Footlights crew now and haven't got time.

Why is it a harsh insight though? You write to them saying "Can I have a writing gig please?" and they basically say no. Why is that harsh? If you walked in to the offices of The Sun and said "Giz a job then Mr" you'd get the same response or probably none whatsoever. I think you're making a bit too much fuss out of something that I'm sure a lot of people have found out by asking them the same question but as others have said, bitching about it on a forum won't win you any points later on down the line. Instead email Fighting Spirit, having read their publication I'm sure they'll hire any fucker.

again its not the fact they've said no, it was the brush off response i didn't particularly like considering much more reputable outlets had the grace to give me at least a thank you.

Is that not being a bit up your own arse though? "How very dare they, I SonToTheRescure have written to Powerslam and they haven't even said thank you. The very cheek of it. Jeeves, fetch me my complaining gloves, I'm signing up to the UKFF"

Genuinely laughed out loud reading that.

Don't forget 'resinate' as well Grammar Police.

But they're right mate, if you were looking for a gig writing for them, and things were spelt wrong etc, it doesn't look good.

But Power Slam seem like twats with work experience, I've worked for organisations far bigger than Power Slam who have been nothing but hospitable and helping and gave me a chance. Fin just seems like a tiresome old grinch who can't be arsed with young folk who have the termerity to want to succeed in his line of work.

Don't get too down about it, you will encounter people like that, and you'll encounter people who'll be nothing but helpful.

Why is it a harsh insight though? You write to them saying "Can I have a writing gig please?" and they basically say no. Why is that harsh? If you walked in to the offices of The Sun and said "Giz a job then Mr" you'd get the same response or probably none whatsoever. I think you're making a bit too much fuss out of something that I'm sure a lot of people have found out by asking them the same question but as others have said, bitching about it on a forum won't win you any points later on down the line. Instead email Fighting Spirit, having read their publication I'm sure they'll hire any fucker.

again its not the fact they've said no, it was the brush off response i didn't particularly like considering much more reputable outlets had the grace to give me at least a thank you.

Is that not being a bit up your own arse though? "How very dare they, I SonToTheRescure have written to Powerslam and they haven't even said thank you. The very cheek of it. Jeeves, fetch me my complaining gloves, I'm signing up to the UKFF"

Genuinely laughed out loud reading that.

Don't forget 'resinate' as well Grammar Police.

But they're right mate, if you were looking for a gig writing for them, and things were spelt wrong etc, it doesn't look good.

But Power Slam seem like twats with work experience, I've worked for organisations far bigger than Power Slam who have been nothing but hospitable and helping and gave me a chance. Fin just seems like a tiresome old grinch who can't be arsed with young folk who have the termerity to want to succeed in his line of work.

Don't get too down about it, you will encounter people like that, and you'll encounter people who'll be nothing but helpful.

thank you sir.

im not heart broken by any stretch, i just think a piss weak attitude like isn't merited anywhere, bad spelling or not.

• Paid Members

Personally just jumping into the Film and Television Studies degree being a Mickey Mouse one, I plan to take that very degree if exams, UCAS applications and such go well.

It might be seen as a bit of a piss take degree, however for someone like me who's planning on going into teaching once he leaves Uni for Post 16's teaching Film Studies, it is a little bit crucial for my job prospects.

However, on the topic of Mickey Mouse degrees, I have infact found one for Southampton Solent teaching Comedy Writing and Performance for

A degree in "Film and Televison". LOL

I presume you're going to elaborate on that.

It's nothing to do with that.

ACTUALLY

He spelt it right and I spelt it wrong, haha.

Anyway my point was just a twatty comment mocking his degree. I just find it an odd degree to be doing. I know there's the saying "A degree's a degree" but some are more beneficial than others and are seen as important. For example I put a degree like that into a hobby, similar to media and art.

I just think with how shit the job market it is, it's essential that you pick a decent one unless if you pick a unique degree and have something to back it up upon completion of the degree. To back this up with the recent student fee increase there has been a decrease of over 40% less students applying for media degrees.

But this has fuck all to do with the topic. Just explaining my comment previously.

Ah, so it was your poor spelling, fair enough. Sorry to the thread starter in that case.

As for degrees in general, I'm sure some people take them solely based on the eventual income they may generate, but surely you have to have a keen interest in the subject too? I'm sure an accounting degree would lead to a higher chance of making big money than my "hobby" degree (!!!), but I fucking hate working with numbers and it would bore the arse off of me. My intention when starting my degree was to be able to work in an industry I love, not the one that would make the most money.

As for media based degrees being 40% down on applicants, that's quite possibly due to the costs involved. I know that my course has just become the most expensive at my whole University, as the equipment we use is of such high value.

• Paid Members

My Film & TV degree has served me just fine, it's actually landed me a well paid job recently and there's more opportunities on the way for me. It's what you make of it at the end of the day, so fuck twinn and his shitty generalisations and his shitty spelling.

Personally just jumping into the Film and Television Studies degree being a Mickey Mouse one, I plan to take that very degree if exams, UCAS applications and such go well.

It might be seen as a bit of a piss take degree, however for someone like me who's planning on going into teaching once he leaves Uni for Post 16's teaching Film Studies, it is a little bit crucial for my job prospects.

That depresses me. I think everyone who does a film degree should want to make films, even though the degree itself qualifies you to do nothing but teach others it. The idea of doing it just to perpetuate that cycle is soul-destroying, to me. Also, there must be at least 50 media students per teacher in the country on average... Assuming that most of the teachers are in the job a while, even the cynical field of teaching media courses must have shockingly few vacancies for graduates. I've taught a few film/video workshops at colleges, and the full-time teachers there just seem to be doing it to pay bills until the work they want to do takes off. So it is nice that someone genuinely wants to do that job, but mostly depressing. My university lecturers mostly seemed to be genuinely into their jobs, but they were also deviants and alcoholics. There are few things I despise more than academics who make entertainment boring with their fucking textbooks and dull lectures.

However, on the topic of Mickey Mouse degrees, I have infact found one for Southampton Solent teaching Comedy Writing and Performance for

Archived