New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

19 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

And whilst I love the classic line, that’s my point I suppose, all of those figures are the same height. In fact there’s a Tazz figure which is bigger than Andre & Big Show.

Jeremy is interviewed on the major wrestling figures podcast this week and this point is raised. They just never thought about it until they seen Matel scale them when they released their figures 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

Jeremy is interviewed on the major wrestling figures podcast this week and this point is raised. They just never thought about it until they seen Matel scale them when they released their figures 

Yeah, I found his explanation a bit odd, considering ToyBiz we’re doing it a bit right with WCW figures in the late 90’s, to some extent at least anyway. The Giant was massive, Mysterio was small etc. Either way, it’s the standard now, so to not do them in scale would just look a bit cheap in some peoples eyes. Price point will be everything of course.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Yeah, I found his explanation a bit odd, considering ToyBiz we’re doing it a bit right with WCW figures in the late 90’s, to some extent at least anyway. The Giant was massive, Mysterio was small etc. Either way, it’s the standard now, so to not do them in scale would just look a bit cheap in some peoples eyes. Price point will be everything of course.

I guess it comes down to cost. Toy biz at that time were huge and could throw money at toy lines. That market has disappeared. Look at the amount of action figure lines we get now compared to even a decade ago. Back in the 90’s every summer movie had a toy line. Rightly or wrongly, Now the action figure section is tiny in most toy shops. Collectors market is the target for a lot of lines now. Jazwares are one of the only toy companies that still try to put out action figure lines regularly to the masses. I’m guessing they will be trying to do it as cheap as possible. And equal height moulds maybe a way of doing it.

The scaling thing always seemed like a lazy but profitable business decision. Aside from some outliers, the weight divisions in wrestling surely mean you can group similar sized figures into batch runs of mold sizes? I seem to remember the Crash Holly figure having a shortened torso and arms but the legs being standard build, which made the figure look odd but got the idea across.

I knew they'd do the Elite and Jericho first although there are much more colourful characters they could have chosen. I knew they'd match the existing market toy builds and styles. I love that AEW have got the deal. It's just a shame there's no surprises.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

They had a few different Torso’s and arms and leg moulds, but size wise it all were very similar. They tried a line called R3 which was scaled (Big Show obviously towered over everyone else) but it was a bit of a financial flop so they carried on with RA scale

• Paid Members

Sorry for the DP. But Mattel have revealed some new bits. This though is from their Ultimate line which is supposed to be their top end collectibles line. I haven’t seen a Face Sculpt that bad since the end of BCA and start of the TTL era 

775F7926-C273-4CB3-843B-DF6BAA64EC01.jpeg
Rest can be found here https://forum.wrestlingfigs.com/thread/362444/official-fair-2020-mattel-discussion?page=1

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

19 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sorry for the DP. But Mattel have revealed some new bits. This though is from their Ultimate line which is supposed to be their top end collectibles line. I haven’t seen a Face Sculpt that bad since the end of BCA and start of the TTL era 

775F7926-C273-4CB3-843B-DF6BAA64EC01.jpeg
Rest can be found here https://forum.wrestlingfigs.com/thread/362444/official-fair-2020-mattel-discussion?page=1

Meghan Markle.