Sign in to follow this  
King Pitcos

New wrestling figures!

24 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

They aren’t just children’s toys though are they, that’s like saying all video games are ‘kids games’. Their audience is full of adult fans for a start, all buying merch and collectibles. Those figures are aimed at everyone, from kids to adult collectors, much like mattel are with their limited edition 80’s characters. Little Barry wants another Reigns, fair enough, but Dad Garry wants that limited Harley Race. 

I suppose when you have WWE/mattel producing figures with accurate individual scale/size, that sets a standard. Then you have smaller companies like the Super 7 team and the Legends of Lucha Libre guys following suit. They’re making sure they make their figures to the industry leaders scale, so that kids and collectors can collect/play with those figures & mix them perfectly with the other brands, it becomes expected that AEW will also do the same.

I really hope they have, and as I say, if they release further details about the specifics of scale and they are in fact in scale/size with other lines (including accurate scale of their roster) then fair play to them. I’ll 100% change my opinion, but I’m basing my view on what they’ve released so far, and as it stands the figures appear to be the same height as each other without any differentiation.

To the company making these they probably are, that's my point. Just look at their products, they seem like an odd choice to go with and are nothing like those others you mentioned. But they obviously want a more mainstream company that can put these in toy shops all over the world.

https://www.wickedcooltoys.com/products/

Edited by Merzbow

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

They aren’t just children’s toys though are they, that’s like saying all video games are ‘kids games’. Their audience is full of adult fans for a start, all buying merch and collectibles. Those figures are aimed at everyone, from kids to adult collectors, much like mattel are with their limited edition 80’s characters. Little Barry wants another Reigns, fair enough, but Dad Garry wants that limited Harley Race. 

I suppose when you have WWE/mattel producing figures with accurate individual scale/size, that sets a standard. Then you have smaller companies like the Super 7 team and the Legends of Lucha Libre guys following suit. They’re making sure they make their figures to the industry leaders scale, so that kids and collectors can collect/play with those figures & mix them perfectly with the other brands, it becomes expected that AEW will also do the same.

I really hope they have, and as I say, if they release further details about the specifics of scale and they are in fact in scale/size with other lines (including accurate scale of their roster) then fair play to them. I’ll 100% change my opinion, but I’m basing my view on what they’ve released so far, and as it stands the figures appear to be the same height as each other without any differentiation.

Are the Mattel toys scaled? My godson has loads but have never noticed any difference in heights with the elites or basics.

Jeremy Padawer is behind Wicked Cool Toys which is now part of Jazwares. He was in charge of Jakks's line from 2002 until it went to Mattel and he came up with the Classics line

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

To the company making these they probably are, that's my point. Just look at their products, they seem like an odd choice to go with and are nothing like those others you mentioned. But they obviously want a more mainstream company that can put these in toy shops all over the world.

https://www.wickedcooltoys.com/products/

Oh I absolutely agree with you on that mate. Very bizarre choice. I remember them making some absolutely shit Mortal Kombat figures in the early 2000’s. Big clunky things.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Are the Mattel toys scaled? My godson has loads but have never noticed any difference in heights with the elites or basics.

Jeremy Padawer is behind Wicked Cool Toys which is now part of Jazwares. He was in charge of Jakks's line from 2002 until it went to Mattel and he came up with the Classics line

And whilst I love the classic line, that’s my point I suppose, all of those figures are the same height. In fact there’s a Tazz figure which is bigger than Andre & Big Show.

Remember those TNA ones where they just put out the whole roster regardless of whether they'll sell or not? The fucking Naturals, A-1 and Sonjay Dutt were all over the shop. What a waste of a work day, putting those together.

Our little original ECW wrestling figure video, with guest appearances from Steve Corino & Joel Gertner has just hit 1000 views. Pretty chuffed with that. 

FB12811F-2A08-4D43-BD03-1B625D6C2A6D.jpeg

19 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

And whilst I love the classic line, that’s my point I suppose, all of those figures are the same height. In fact there’s a Tazz figure which is bigger than Andre & Big Show.

Jeremy is interviewed on the major wrestling figures podcast this week and this point is raised. They just never thought about it until they seen Matel scale them when they released their figures 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Jeremy is interviewed on the major wrestling figures podcast this week and this point is raised. They just never thought about it until they seen Matel scale them when they released their figures 

Yeah, I found his explanation a bit odd, considering ToyBiz we’re doing it a bit right with WCW figures in the late 90’s, to some extent at least anyway. The Giant was massive, Mysterio was small etc. Either way, it’s the standard now, so to not do them in scale would just look a bit cheap in some peoples eyes. Price point will be everything of course.

18 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I'd love it if they did an Orange Cassidy figure with no shoulder articulation.

My girlfriend pointed out that Orange Cassidy should get an "inaction figure".

2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Yeah, I found his explanation a bit odd, considering ToyBiz we’re doing it a bit right with WCW figures in the late 90’s, to some extent at least anyway. The Giant was massive, Mysterio was small etc. Either way, it’s the standard now, so to not do them in scale would just look a bit cheap in some peoples eyes. Price point will be everything of course.

I guess it comes down to cost. Toy biz at that time were huge and could throw money at toy lines. That market has disappeared. Look at the amount of action figure lines we get now compared to even a decade ago. Back in the 90’s every summer movie had a toy line. Rightly or wrongly, Now the action figure section is tiny in most toy shops. Collectors market is the target for a lot of lines now. Jazwares are one of the only toy companies that still try to put out action figure lines regularly to the masses. I’m guessing they will be trying to do it as cheap as possible. And equal height moulds maybe a way of doing it.

The scaling thing always seemed like a lazy but profitable business decision. Aside from some outliers, the weight divisions in wrestling surely mean you can group similar sized figures into batch runs of mold sizes? I seem to remember the Crash Holly figure having a shortened torso and arms but the legs being standard build, which made the figure look odd but got the idea across.

I knew they'd do the Elite and Jericho first although there are much more colourful characters they could have chosen. I knew they'd match the existing market toy builds and styles. I love that AEW have got the deal. It's just a shame there's no surprises.

Edited by CavemanLynn