My Best Film: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I can't remember who the dude is that posted these threads originally, but I thought I'd pick them back up again with Arnie. Also, I know there was a bit of discussion last time about the difference between 'favourite' and 'best' films, but talk about either.

Any new Arnie film was pretty much a major event in my childhood and I still remember the arguments I had with my dad when he wouldn't let me bring back a pirate copy of Terminator 2 from Malta when I was 14 because I'd already bought Predator 2 and he would only let me take one home.

I think, for me, it's a toss up between T2 and True Lies for his 'best' film. True Lies is absolutely great, there is so much going on in that film and it's a shame they couldn't have gotten a sequel together. Even Tom Arnold is funny in it.

My favourite, though, is Commando, narrowly ahead of Predator and Total Recall, which I really warmed to eventually after not really liking it to begin with. I even love Kindergarten Cop, though. It's Arnie.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't remember who the dude is that posted these threads originally, but I thought I'd pick them back up again with Arnie. Also, I know there was a bit of discussion last time about the difference between 'favourite' and 'best' films, but talk about either.

Any new Arnie film was pretty much a major event in my childhood and I still remember the arguments I had with my dad when he wouldn't let me bring back a pirate copy of Terminator 2 from Malta when I was 14 because I'd already bought Predator 2 and he would only let me take one home.

I think, for me, it's a toss up between T2 and True Lies for his 'best' film. True Lies is absolutely great, there is so much going on in that film and it's a shame they couldn't have gotten a sequel together. Even Tom Arnold is funny in it.

My favourite, though, is Commando, narrowly ahead of Predator and Total Recall, which I really warmed to eventually after not really liking it to begin with. I even love Kindergarten Cop, though. It's Arnie.

Same here - I remember how excited I used to get when I spotted a new Arnie poster of his latest flick that was due out.

He's still my no.1 movie icon.

1. Predator

2. Commando

3. Running Man

Even his later movies End of Days, The 6th Day etc were enjoyable viewing.

• Paid Members

T2 for me, as it's my overall favourite film ever. Closely followed Jingle All The......jeez I can't even joke about that.

This is a must watch for all Arnie fans by the way, can you name every movie?

• Paid Members
Same here - I remember how excited I used to get when I spotted a new Arnie poster of his latest flick that was due out.

He's still my no.1 movie icon.

1. Predator

2. Commando

3. Running Man

Even his later movies End of Days, The 6th Day etc were enjoyable viewing.

I really need to see End Of Days, I love Peter Hyams.

I haven't seen The Running Man in such a long time as well.

T2 for me, as it's my overall favourite film ever. Closely followed Jingle All The......jeez I can't even joke about that.

This is a must watch for all Arnie fans by the way, can you name every movie?

Hang on - which film is the line "My name is John Kimble, and I love my car" from?

I'll be honest, there are a number there that I don't recognise.

edit: Kinderkarden Kop looks a lot of fun, weirdly, I may have to watch it.

• Moderators

Kindergarten Cop

edit - is the answer to Loki's question, not my favourite Arnie film (I do think it's a cracking film though - a prefect blend of action, comedy and family movie-ness).

As a kid I used to absolutely love Last Action Hero. Me and my brother used to watch it pretty much every Sunday (alternating between that and Demolition Man, more often than not).

I recognise that it's a bit rubbish, but I still really like it. And the soundtrack is pretty hot.

"Best" film though? Probably Total Recall or Predator.

• Moderators

The Running Man has it all. Jesse Ventura doing Captain Freedom's Workout, Yaphet Kotto, Richard Dawson playing a fantastic "Bizarro Richard Dawson", Chico's head exploding in the first 2 minutes, Dynamo's car, Dynamo's costume, Dynamo's singing, and Dynamo saying "I'll show you dickless!". It also has that awesome old woman, and the jingle of "We bring you joy we bring you strife". And that's without going into Climbing For Dollars.

It hits the spot!

Conan the Barbarian for me, a true classic and one of the best scores in movie history, in addition I think Arnie was well suited to the silence of the movie.

I'd put it like this

1. Conan the Barbarian

2. Predator

3. Total Recall

I do think End of Days is hugely underrated.

Archived