My Best Film: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Red Sonja nearly made my list, I prefer that to the Conan films, purely because Ive seen it the most times and has something about it a je ne sais quoi

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Red Sonja. The small child deep inside insists that it's my answer. The terrible acting of Nielsen, the woeful attempt at creating chemistry between her and Uncle Arnie, the fat man/prince double act... it's all so shite. But I loved it. And you get to see some tittys.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I always preferred Red Sonja to the Conan films, which for some reason I just didn't like at all. I've just never really warmed to that sword and sorcery shite outside of the Fighting Fantasy books.

The most underrated Arnie film. It is what it is. Its a Christmas feel good film. And its funny. Love watching this in the lead up to Christmas.

I wish this was true - I really do. I remember loving this film ages ago. But last Christmas I watched it and... it's just terrible. Not even in a usual Arnie way but just utterly awful. I think it's Sinbad that ruins it for me. Him or Anakin Skywalker.

Anyway; Commando. It's just AWESOME. Plus it's way better than it should be since it's clear that Arnie doesn't realise it's a comedy.

I think it's Sinbad that ruins it for me. Him or Anakin Skywalker.

I've always enjoyed the movie, but it's funny how growing up makes you view things differently. I watched this again last year and got really annoyed at Arnie's shitty little kid in it. He doesn't want his dad to go to work but wants daddy to get him all the toys that he wants. Spoilt little shit.

Is there really a bad Arnie film to be honest, weather they're too over the top with action or comedy, lets face it, all of Arnie's movies have been enjoyable no matter the genre or theme.

OK, Hercules in New York is Fucking terrible, but that's when he was just starting out.And to be fair, as bad & dire as it is, you watch it to the end because it's Arnie & then you watch one of his good films after you've made yourself sit through that just to see how his acting came on.

Was having a discussion with the Mother the other day about Arnie funnily enough & she was like, I don't think he could ever really act, it was all more of his body & muscle that got him his roles, which, to be fair, is maybes a close true point when he was just starting out, but, as I said to her & put her in her place on the matter, his acting improved over the years & he got better as time went on.

We all know he can do action, we all know he delivers one liners well & he's actually quite good in the comedic role with the likes of Twins & Jingle All The Way etc.

Anyways, my personal top favorites are Commando & Predator.

That's not taking away from all his others as I enjoy them all & I'll probably just end up listing every film Arnie has done as being good or great (Even Collateral Damage & he really isn't all that Buff action hero or comedic in that, but, it was a OK'ish film still with a decent & simple enough story to follow).

Just got Predator on Blu Ray Saturday night gone & the job on it is immense, it looks that good, if you didn't know it was an 80's film, it looks very modern day visually, stunning colour & clarity.

Need to get more of my Arnie films on Blu Ray.

• Paid Members
Plus it's way better than it should be since it's clear that Arnie doesn't realise it's a comedy.

I'm not going to be able to watch that in the future without that in the back of my mind now. Every line I'm going to be thinking, "Ha-ha, he doesn't realise it's a comedy. Idiot."

• Moderators
Is there really a bad Arnie film to be honest,

Yes.

Was having a discussion with the Mother the other day about Arnie funnily enough & she was like, I don't think he could ever really act, it was all more of his body & muscle that got him his roles, which, to be fair, is maybes a close true point when he was just starting out, but, as I said to her & put her in her place on the matter, his acting improved over the years & he got better as time went on.

I am stunned that this is a revelation to anyone. I thought it was a universal assumption so obvious as to be unspoken.

• Paid Members

Bit disappointed there haven't been more mentions for Red Heat. One of Walter Hill's most underrated films, and I think that Arnie and James Belushi make a cracking pairing. Not one of the best buddy cop films you will ever see, but it's great fun.

"I do not want to touch his ass. I want to make him talk!"

• Moderators
Bit disappointed there haven't been more mentions for Red Heat. One of Walter Hill's most underrated films, and I think that Arnie and James Belushi make a cracking pairing. Not one of the best buddy cop films you will ever see, but it's great fun.

I don't think you'll ever see people citing it as their favourite Arnie flick but it is often overlooked. I forgot how good it was til I caught it when it was on telly a few weeks back.

Arnie is amazing, and people always say hes a 'shit actor' I dont think he is at all, he just had a weird sounding accent is all. My favourite has to be Total Recall. I remember demanding my mum tape it when I was younger, as it was on too late for me to watch it. I watched it so many times that I remembered the quotes for life. Ronnie Cox is an awesome bad guy (as he is in Robocop) and I loved Michael Ironside even more when I found out he was the voice of Sam Fisher. running man is another amazing film. I remember watching Hercules in New York, which was terrible but so terrible it was good. It provided good laughs for junk food night with the lads. Also cactus Jack, yet again bad but amazing at the same time. 6th Day is another classic. I pretty much love everything he does, his movies are always really good. I never get distracted during them because of how packed of action they are. Collateral Damage was confusing as I dont see how a fireman would battle terrorists, but Arnie makes it work, because he is quite frankly my favourite action guy. And with a name like Heinrich Beckman, how can you not be in love with the film?

Yes.

I am stunned that this is a revelation to anyone. I thought it was a universal assumption so obvious as to be unspoken.

You can't just say Yes & then not list a bad or what you maybes perceive to be a bad film. At least big mickey lists Junior as being bad.

It wasn't a revelation, like I said, you could say it was somewhat a semi agreeable point when he was just starting out as it being based off a 'look' to begin with, but, the more roles he got, he learned to act as he went along, as you would as you go along with the profession.

You don't think Arnie was just offered roles like Terminator, True Lies, Eraser, etc based just off his look do you? He had been acting a good few years by the time those roles came about so they will have wanted somebody that they think or thought could play the character that was written or somebody else may have gotten or been offered the parts based on acting over look. They clearly thought Arnie could act the parts as well as have the look as there are plenty of other people in 'action land' who could have been offered the roles instead.

I'm very surprised by the lack of love for Red Heat also. Like you say, might not be the best buddy cop film you'll see, but, it's entertaining & you'll get enjoyment out of it which is all you want from a film really.

Junior was atrocious.

To be fair, it has some mildly funny moments, but, it was never going to be anything great as the story is so far over the top anyways to begin with & is something that can physically not happen, it's all a bit tongue in cheek & I think Arnie worked well with the character / film.

Might seem like he's trying too hard in some places, but, he gave it ago & obviously felt this wasn't going to ruin or break his action career by having an attempt at something different. Bit ballsy, so fair play to him even if it wasn't perfect.

You don't think Arnie was just offered roles like Terminator, True Lies, Eraser, etc based just off his look do you? He had been acting a good few years by the time those roles came about so they will have wanted somebody that they think or thought could play the character that was written or somebody else may have gotten or been offered the parts based on acting over look. They clearly thought Arnie could act the parts as well as have the look as there are plenty of other people in 'action land' who could have been offered the roles instead.

I would say Terminator 1 was very based on his look it's not like he had to do much acting and he only said a few words in it.

• Paid Members

Fun The Terminator fact: the studio wanted James Cameron to cast OJ Simpson as the Terminator but Cameron turned the suggestion down because he didn't think anyone would believe Simpson as a killer.

Archived