My Best Film: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Devon Malcolm

I would say Terminator 1 was very based on his look it's not like he had to do much acting and he only said a few words in it.

You could say that if we're just going by the lines spoken in the film, but to me, acting isn't just the lines you speak, it's also about the Movements, Mannerisms, Facial Expressions, etc, etc that you give and add to your character as well as the talking.

Arnie may have got the Terminator role on his look alone, but, when you watch T1, 2 or even 3, you believe that Arnie is / could be a robot sent from the future because of his facial expressions & movements making you believe this guy is actually a robot, hence 'acting'.

So whilst there's little dialogue / voice acting from him in T1, you get a decent to good range of facial / movement acting from him to believe it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Terminator (first one) is by far my favourite film starring anyone (see my avatar)

It's just amazing, treads the line between gritty, dirty 80s b-movie and sci fi spectacular in a way that nothing else has, I love everything about it, Arnie is so iconic in it.

The special effects were groundbreaking at the time but now look a bit creaky (in a cool way though), the atmosphere is incredible, mixing dirty 80s LA with Sci Fi is always cool, I love the scene with the Terminator in the club. Arnie doesn't say much but he doesn't have to, he is beyond perfect in this film. Love those 80s movies with an 18 certificate.

Having said that...

Terminator 2 is incredible, without a doubt the best sequel of all time in my opinion, most sequels are more of the same but James Cameron took his gritty movie that had been a huge hit and decided the sequel (made 7 years later) should be the most expensive film of all time, a risky decision but one that paid off incredibly, it's not just more of the same, it follows the plot of the first and adds to it but it feels totally different. The T-1000 is great too, a brilliant villain for Arnie and the liquid metal effects were absolutely the best effects possible in 1991 and still look good today. A fantastic film in it's own right and definitely deserves to be a favourite among many, I've seen it loads of times and I know lots of others who have too.

Terminator 3 and Salvation are a disgrace as far as I'm concerned, would prefer it if they hadn't been made.

100% spot on pritt stick licker. T2 is better than any other sequal. I can still sit and watch it. Among the many videos I would watch repeatidly as a child (as children do) would be both terminators, total Recall (as I've stated is my favourite Arnie epic) and Twins which I never consciously did, but I would always want a pizza whilst watching. All my friends were probably watching never ending story or fern gully or some shit, but me, I wanted Arnie epics. I actually think Arnie is a good actor. yes in Hercules in New York and Cactus Jack his acting was terrible, but they were his first movies and his bad acting made the films hilarious so still provided something good.

• Paid Members

A few things I'd like to just throw out there -

Terminator 4 is a good film if you don't go into it expecting Terminator 1 or 2.

Terminator 3 is a fantastic film if watched as a comedy.

Batman and Robin isn't an "Arnie film" in the same way Batman isn't a "Jack Nicholson film". If you want to call it a bad Arnie performance, then you'd still be wrong as he's one of the only redeemable things about the entire film, whether it's for the right reasons or not.

• Paid Members
Terminator 2 is incredible, without a doubt the best sequel of all time in my opinion, most sequels are more of the same but James Cameron took his gritty movie that had been a huge hit and decided the sequel (made 7 years later) should be the most expensive film of all time, a risky decision but one that paid off incredibly, it's not just more of the same, it follows the plot of the first and adds to it but it feels totally different. The T-1000 is great too, a brilliant villain for Arnie and the liquid metal effects were absolutely the best effects possible in 1991 and still look good today. A fantastic film in it's own right and definitely deserves to be a favourite among many, I've seen it loads of times and I know lots of others who have too.

Indeed. Terminator 2 is brilliant. It's one of those films that got the special effects right, and as a result still looks good today. They didn't go overboard with the CGI, which present day films do so when you come back to them three years later they're a bit iffy.

Batman and Robin isn't an "Arnie film" in the same way Batman isn't a "Jack Nicholson film".

Dare I argue with you by saying Jack Nicholson got top billing for Batman? Is it still not "his" film if he's not playing the titular character?

• Paid Members
Why, what difference does it make to you?

Not a great deal, just thought they both sucked and I hold the other 2 in extremely high regard.

Also I really like Christian Bale and to me a Terminator reboot with him seemed like it would be amazing but I hated the way the film turned out.

Archived