Police cause another death

Richie Freebird

I was "medium level" electrocuted when I was younger (don't touch live wires, kids). While it was happening, I couldn't do a thing as I was in complete spasm. Immediately afterwards, I was able to get up and facepalm myself for being such a daft twat. I was in a bit of pain, because every muscle had basically strained itself pulling against it's opposite muscle, but I could move about.

Were I a big fucker, with my pain threshold effected by something like PCP (I've no idea what Meow Meow actually does), then I could probably still cause problems to someone trying to get cuffs on me.

Cool, thanks.

I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Cool, thanks.

I’ve had a few 500 volt do’s myself, but usually without much current, so as to not do lasting harm. I know what you mean about the muscle pain. It makes your joints and everything pure go mental.

Do you know how many volts you took?

Lol, Richie are you an knicker sniffing electro fetishist now :p

Were I a big fucker, with my pain threshold effected by something like PCP (I've no idea what Meow Meow actually does), then I could probably still cause problems to someone trying to get cuffs on me.

Meow meow being mephedrone, it's nothing like as hardcore as pcp. It does increase your heart rate, adrenalin and all that good stuff, so you could probably make a decent argument that you'd take more tazers to stop on it than you would off it.

But then again, one could make a good argument that having your heart under alot of pressure already from the drone, then being electrocuted alot, may well kill you.

Exactly. Indeed, just flicking at wikipedia now, the line, "Between June 2001 and June 2007, there were at least 245 cases of deaths of subjects soon after having been shocked using Tasers" really stands out. Obv that's by no means conclusive evidence against their use but hilarious how some police explaining how they train people on tasers apparently convinces everyone that they must be alright, then.

Well, this IS Wikipedia. The article used to back up that statistic is actually this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/10/08/...523646320071008

which basically says that research shows that Tasers are really pretty safe "99.7 percent of the people on the receiving end in the real world had either no injury or mild injury". But the Wikipedia writer chose to pull up a claim by Amnesty International which has no statistics to back it up also mentioned in the article.

The first result when I put "Amnesty International tasers" into google was this. Unless you're claiming Amnesty is in the business of openly lying (rather than spinning or intentionally misinterpreting, say), then they at least have some stats to back up their investigation.

The study you / wiki linked seems quite limited in its scope. Also might consider the frame of the debate. America clearly has a different culture of law enforcement and a greater proportion of its populace are walking armed (often legally, w/ many states' relaxed gun laws). In that context, the risk of people dying as a result (even indirectly) of being hit with a taser might seem preferable to officers gunning people. I would be inclined to agree. In the UK, though, it's worth operating a little more scrutiny wrt their use. Not to say any officer using a taser is a raging, murderous, former-bully-victim looking for manifest vengeance - but that debate over sending po, good or bad, out with weapons that *might* be able to kill is debate worth having. And as with any of these arguments over police powers, greater clarification is often as much in the police's interest as in any suspect's.

• Paid Members

So I jut delved through some stats.

Worldwide, only 7 cases have been proven to have been 'DIRECTLY' affected through the discharge of a TASER cartridge, that's pretty good fucking going.

That stat does come from independent research too Chest.

• Moderators
Chest saw that 'Don't Taze Me, Bro!' meme a few years ago, don't say he doesn't know his shit!

As for Richie, I really think that, whether he wants people to believe him or not, the problem he has when spinning stories like these is that, depending what he's talking about, Barrow Island is either the crime capital of the north-west that makes Moss Side and Toxteth look like Westward Ho! and Windsor, a town so completely dead of activity that even the tumbleweeds get bored, or being run by a violent police state. I should visit one day!

Official statistics claim that Barrow Island isn't a lawless rum area whatsoever:-

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Barrow/Walne...20UK#crimetypes

Compare that to the sleepy village I sleep in which is well below the average crime rate:-

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Chirk,%20Wre...20UK#crimetypes

So Barrow Island isn't Baltimore-In-The-Wire at all according to official statistics, even being quieter than Cefn Mawr and surrounding areas with Barrow-In-Furness itself being less a crime hotspot than the quiet small town of Wrexham.

Barrow-In-Furness

Wrexham

Official statistics claim that Barrow Island isn't a lawless rum area whatsoever:-

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Barrow/Walne...20UK#crimetypes

Compare that to the sleepy village I sleep in which is well below the average crime rate:-

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Chirk,%20Wre...20UK#crimetypes

So Barrow Island isn't Baltimore-In-The-Wire at all according to official statistics, even being quieter than Cefn Mawr and surrounding areas with Barrow-In-Furness itself being less a crime hotspot than the quiet small town of Wrexham.

Barrow-In-Furness

Wrexham

I only think they use actual reported and recorded crimes in the statistics mucker. That

Archived