RIOT!

big mickey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, if I just be serious for a minute...

Why has a curfew not been implemented? Not to mention getting army patrols out there to enforce it?

Compared to what I've seen over the years at flashpoints in Northern Ireland, the response by the authorities has been pretty meek.

Curfew? Policed by Army? That's a fucking shit idea!

How many steps between you hardline fascist ideas and full-on Martial Law?

Lock up innocent people because the media scared us... ok, but don't worry, our future involves Army personnel telling us when we can and can't leave our homes so you'll get what you want one day.

Have a think dickhead.

See now it's becoming apparent what the real agenda is, on Saturday night you could legitimately argue that it was down to a shooting & an angry community.

Now it's just a case of large scale criminal activity, nothing more than theives & thugs taking what they want & causing damage.

Yeah, defend that...

Seriously though, how can you post that and disagree with anything Whiskey or I have said, or accuse us of defending the rioters. That post is the core of my argument, and that's been clear from the first post to the last. You're too smart to buy PITCOS' strawman bollocks.

I'll try to explain, because you're a good lad who's just got really wound up here.

I disagree with statements like this

People only behave like scum when they're treated like scum
(your words)

but still talk about social ills because I'm trying to see this subject in a balanced way rather than black and white.

I don't believe either strictly in nature OR strictly in nurture. I know that how and where you grow up hugely informs your character, and yet I also know that there are plenty of young teenagers from Tottenham who WEREN'T rioting on Saturday night. Same background, but "not scum" to put it in the language of tabloids. I know people who came from rubbish inner-city schools and now leverage huge salaries and work at the highest levels of business whilst their school chums smoke cracks and go to jail.

Regardless of your circumstances, I believe every individual is personally responsible to society and that there is an unspoken (though possibly it should be codified) charter of social responsibility that parallels your human rights as it were. Things that you owe others as opposed to things that others owe you. And not burning down people's businesses would definitely be one of those responsibilities.

There's no excuse for what happened on Saturday. Perhaps a few of them were just caught up and followed the herd. But most of them weren't just rioting because they'd got a bum deal in life, they were rioting because they are absolute twats, and they deserve whatever punishment is meted out to them (within the parameters of the law, obviously). It's their schoolmates who didn't riot, and who have to continue to live in those areas that I reserve my sympathies for.

Curfew? Policed by Army? That's a fucking shit idea!

How many steps between you hardline fascist ideas and full-on Martial Law?

Lock up innocent people because the media scared us... ok, but don't worry, our future involves Army personnel telling us when we can and can't leave our homes so you'll get what you want one day.

Have a think dickhead.

Thankfully I don't have to think a huge amount of time about it, I've grown up seeing rioting and its aftermath in front of my own eyes, not to mention that at times I went to school while walking past soldiers in full combat gear and guns.

When you can actually have a talk with a grown up without calling them names or firing out labels that lose their meaning after being used so liberally, I might come back to you.

See now it's becoming apparent what the real agenda is, on Saturday night you could legitimately argue that it was down to a shooting & an angry community.

Now it's just a case of large scale criminal activity, nothing more than theives & thugs taking what they want & causing damage.

Yeah, defend that...

Just out of curiosity, have you heard from your fellow EDL'ers what their stance is on these events?

sorry but did anyone have sky news on, a woman was getting interviewed outside and all you heard was coles laptop sound going off, for some reason i was expecting cole to shout "Can I Have Your Attention, Please?"

sorry but did anyone have sky news on, a woman was getting interviewed outside and all you heard was coles laptop sound going off, for some reason i was expecting cole to shout "Can I Have Your Attention, Please?"

That's an idea, actually. Who needs community leaders when we can ship in Michael Cole to inform everyone that the general manager has cancelled the riots, and will instead deal with matters in a "key to Curries on a pole match".

Edited by David

• Paid Members
Stupidity and danger aside, I can't be the only one who thought about taking advantage of the riots by breaking into Argos and sliding down the conveyor belt. :(

Don't worry Stug, It's not as much fun as you would think. :thumbsup:

But most of them weren't just rioting because they'd got a bum deal in life, they were rioting because they are absolute twats

Is there no room for any cause and effect there, though?

There's a world of difference between 'excuses' and 'reasons'. I think ninety per cent of this argument between Whiskey, bobbins on the one side and yourself, Pitcos et al on the other is over this distinction. Looking for the reasons behind all this is surely more productive? Of course they're being twats. But stopping your critical analysis at that point is just fighting the symptoms. The cure for HIV won't come from finding out how best to manage AIDS, will it?

You've missed a chunk of the discussion, ghost.

.Ultimately, all this is fuelled by the problems of long-term unemployment and low education standards amongst a very specific segment of what used to be called the "working class". And it's only going to get worse as local services are withdrawn due to the sever public spending cuts.

For example, knife crime is going to go through the roof this summer, particularly amongst inner-city ethnic communities as the youth services that would normally work at keeping bored teenagers off the streets have all been cut to pieces. That's in turn going generate a backlash from EDL types.

So, yes there is room for cause and effect. That was why Bobbins asked the question! Good to see you've mastered the quote function finally :thumbsup:

I'll try to explain, because you're a good lad who's just got really wound up here.

I disagree with statements like this

(your words)

but still talk about social ills because I'm trying to see this subject in a balanced way rather than black and white.

I don't believe either strictly in nature OR strictly in nurture. I know that how and where you grow up hugely informs your character, and yet I also know that there are plenty of young teenagers from Tottenham who WEREN'T rioting on Saturday night. Same background, but "not scum" to put it in the language of tabloids. I know people who came from rubbish inner-city schools and now leverage huge salaries and work at the highest levels of business whilst their school chums smoke cracks and go to jail.

Regardless of your circumstances, I believe every individual is personally responsible to society and that there is an unspoken (though possibly it should be codified) charter of social responsibility that parallels your human rights as it were. Things that you owe others as opposed to things that others owe you. And not burning down people's businesses would definitely be one of those responsibilities.

There's no excuse for what happened on Saturday. Perhaps a few of them were just caught up and followed the herd. But most of them weren't just rioting because they'd got a bum deal in life, they were rioting because they are absolute twats, and they deserve whatever punishment is meted out to them (within the parameters of the law, obviously). It's their schoolmates who didn't riot, and who have to continue to live in those areas that I reserve my sympathies for.

*Applauds* (including the last sentence)