RIOT!

big mickey

• Paid Members
I'll try to explain, because you're a good lad who's just got really wound up here.

I disagree with statements like this

(your words)

but still talk about social ills because I'm trying to see this subject in a balanced way rather than black and white.

I don't believe either strictly in nature OR strictly in nurture. I know that how and where you grow up hugely informs your character, and yet I also know that there are plenty of young teenagers from Tottenham who WEREN'T rioting on Saturday night. Same background, but "not scum" to put it in the language of tabloids. I know people who came from rubbish inner-city schools and now leverage huge salaries and work at the highest levels of business whilst their school chums smoke cracks and go to jail.

Regardless of your circumstances, I believe every individual is personally responsible to society and that there is an unspoken (though possibly it should be codified) charter of social responsibility that parallels your human rights as it were. Things that you owe others as opposed to things that others owe you. And not burning down people's businesses would definitely be one of those responsibilities.

There's no excuse for what happened on Saturday. Perhaps a few of them were just caught up and followed the herd. But most of them weren't just rioting because they'd got a bum deal in life, they were rioting because they are absolute twats, and they deserve whatever punishment is meted out to them (within the parameters of the law, obviously). It's their schoolmates who didn't riot, and who have to continue to live in those areas that I reserve my sympathies for.

Treble top.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've missed a chunk of the discussion, ghost.

I've read all the way through. Your excellent earlier post (from another thread, I think) doesn't - to me - sit square with what you've gone on to say.

If you acknowledge the cause and effect, is it not a higher-order good (or level of productivity, going by the thread) to tackle the cause? Whilst of course dealing with the effect, too - i.e. punishing twats. That's all Whiskey and bobbins are saying but they're getting attacked left and right for it.

• Paid Members

I heard that Hackney would be a flashpoint this morning, people were ringing other people and organising it.

For some reason a load of the shops on Lordship Lane have their shutters down, don't know if they've had a specific warning or just taking precautions and the police are rushing up to something.

ffs in america, the army would be called in to nuke the bastards, in the uk they get free bus passes.

jd sports broke into now

omfg a lorry carrying wood stops right at the protesters and now its been looted to attack the police. unreal

Edited by buba3d

• Paid Members

The Met need to desperately call upon the resources of other forces here, assemble one hell of Public Order team and wade in and stop this shit now.

Further proof this country should've invested in Water Canons years ago.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Officers 'SHOULD' be Public Order trained to deal with this sort of thing, basic level is an 80 hour package that not a lot of Officers get.

That'll be the sticking point, you'll find they're kitting everyone up in the gear to try and cope. V. Surprised the surrounding Forces haven't been called in.

Great footage on the BBC News channel right now. Pretty worried about people trapped in buses surrounded by thugs.

Yeah I just switched over now. It's good TV, gotta admit. Get quite annoyed that so much news is London-based but I'm glad this shit doesn't go on in places closer to my heart. I like the idea of water cannons. Or maybe get Kurt Angle and his milk truck in.