RIOT!

big mickey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Wood Green was fucked by the way and hardly got a mention in the news. Burnt out cars outside Lidl. HMV was destroyed, as was both JD Sports, all the mobile phone shops, Body Shop (I have no clue). Pretty much every other shop going down the high road had it's windows smashed in.

Based on the footage I've seen, it was mainly teenagers. Teenage girls like makeup. Hence Bodyshop.

Took me a little while to work out why Holland & Barratt was hit - it was for their jars of protein mix.

I think 'fucked' is an exaggeration - lots of broken windows, and lots of mess and products stolen, but by late morning, Wood Green was pretty peaceful. I spent the day in the town, and there were still places open. Biggest problem was the lack of buses.

Guardian photos

Sickening.

Some of those pictures are incredible, picture nineteen being particularly poignant. I wonder how many people went to work this morning to discover that they no longer had a job because a bunch of cunts decided to destroy everything in sight. The Carpet Right store in flames was an incredible image, but it was still a livelihood to everyone who worked there.

It's oddly appropriate that last week people were signing petitions to retain this countries ban on capital punishment, I wonder how many peoples views on it have been changed after this.

It's so frustrating when some of you completely misrepresent what I'm saying, probably influenced by the right-leaning, paranoia inducing, scare-mongering newspapers that you read.

All of this 'offer them an IT course and a cuddle' or 'misunderstood youth (HAHA)' bullshit, it's just complete mockery and just underlines how unfounded some of your arguments are and that fact they can only be backed up by misquoting and mocking others.

I have never said that any of these problems are easy. The point I have been trying to make all along is that these social situations are not there 'just because they are' or just because 'these people are scum'. There are underlying wider social reasons for it. THAT is the reason that these situations happen and that is what needs to be more understood to prevent them happening again.

• Paid Members
It's oddly appropriate that last week people were signing petitions to retain this countries ban on capital punishment, I wonder how many peoples views on it have been changed after this.

Not many I imagine. You'd have to be a special kind of spastic to seriously suggest capital punishment for smashing shop windows/theft.

The death penalty for rioting? Jesus Christ, it just gets worse.

These riots were predicted a couple of years ago for this summer in London...

When that US dollar collapses next year, you know we'll all be fucked right? They know we will be, and they'd love some more control methods... at least they will prepare us for martial law.

Stay safe motherfuckers.

The death penalty for rioting? Jesus Christ, it just gets worse.

That's not what I was suggesting at all. Protesting is one thing, but deliberately burning homes and livelihoods to the ground is inexcusable. How many people do you think are on the phone right now talking to the Jobseekers/Housing Benefit people because their place of work has been destroyed?

That's not what I was suggesting at all. Protesting is one thing, but deliberately burning homes and livelihoods to the ground is inexcusable. How many people do you think are on the phone right now talking to the Jobseekers/Housing Benefit people because their place of work has been destroyed?

What were you suggesting then?

From the outside, it all looks quite exciting.

For me, I think it's time the police stood up and took responsibility. They've been fucking people for far too long, without ever dealing with the problems that people actually want them to tackle. They're corrupt, watered down since the introduction of 'special support officers' and the like, tainted by their pedantry when it comes to dealing with road offences which is seen as merely a money making venture. Then there's the more serious stuff, the people they kill by mistake, their tight knit group complex where if someone like Raul Moat targets one of them he is earmarked for particularly bad treatment.

Take the case of the student who threw the fire extinguisher from the roof at the police. I'm not excusing his actions in any way, but how is it that within 2-3 weeks he had been sent down for three years. Normal cases like this don't get solved anywhere near as quickly, you often wait months, yet as soon as the aggrieved party is police officers it's done and dusted in double quick time. The same goes for the son of David Gilmour; yes, he vandalised a memorial, but the crime didn't really fit the heavy sentence, and in my view he only got such a heavy sentence because the police took the student riots so personally.

Really, it all comes down to initial causality. If the police hadn't acquired a reputation for incompetence, racism and brutality, this one shooting incident wouldn't have acted as the final straw to a community. There are also a number of other more transient factors, such as the lack of money and help given to many areas to improve them and change the mindset of the young. The lies the government told about tuition fees that incited the riots earlier this year acted as a spur to people - had the government been honest, the modern precedent for rioting and vandalism would not have been set.

The authorities, both governmental and law enforcement, should be looking at ways of helping areas and young people, and treating people with respect rather than suspicion. Then, perhaps, they would gain trust, the improvement of the areas would change the mindset of people who would be less inclined to react this way. As it is, hatred towards the police and the government is at a high we have not seen for years, and the consequence is rioting and vandalism, which I support until the authorities change the way they operate.

This works two ways though, as people will have to be employed in the construction trade and various others to recover these buildings. As long as they have insurance, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, they'll get nice shiny buildings out of it to make up for the inconvenience, it is the people paying the extra premiums who will suffer.

Edited by RIP Diva Sunny

These riots were predicted a couple of years ago for this summer in London...

When that US dollar collapses next year, you know we'll all be fucked right? They know we will be, and they'd love some more control methods... at least they will prepare us for martial law.

Stay safe motherfuckers.

duane1.jpg

Right;

Mark Duggan is someone I've met on a few occasions (though I wouldn't say I knew him well), my mum is quite close to his mum and was actually round their house the day before the original Tottenham riots. The march, before it all kicked off, was basically about the fact that his family waited outside the Police station for five hours trying to get information about his shooting, while the police were talking to the media, and saying nothing to the family. The papers report that Mark was being watched because police were worried he might take revenge for the killing of his cousin (a guy named Kelvin, who I also kinda knew). Which was bullshit, btw.

The story I heard, and I don't know how true it is, but it's what his family told someone I know, is that Mark was in that car with some Turkish guy who bolted after shooting at the police, and Mark ended up shot over it.

I've also heard, again we'll see about this, that certain people intend to continue this rioting and looting for up to ten days.

Wood Green was fucked by the way and hardly got a mention in the news. Burnt out cars outside Lidl. HMV was destroyed, as was both JD Sports, all the mobile phone shops, Body Shop (I have no clue). Pretty much every other shop going down the high road had it's windows smashed in.

Also, I was up Enfield last night, it was like a warzone.

Interesting post however there are a few things..

The march, before it all kicked off, was basically about the fact that his family waited outside the Police station for five hours trying to get information about his shooting

This is confusing me, because due to the seriousness of the offence the family would

From the outside, it all looks quite exciting.

For me, I think it's time the police stood up and took responsibility. They've been fucking people for far too long, without ever dealing with the problems that people actually want them to tackle. They're corrupt, watered down since the introduction of 'special support officers' and the like, tainted by their pedantry when it comes to dealing with road offences which is seen as merely a money making venture. Then there's the more serious stuff, the people they kill by mistake, their tight knit group complex where if someone like Raul Moat targets one of them he is earmarked for particularly bad treatment.

Take the case of the student who threw the fire extinguisher from the roof at the police. I'm not excusing his actions in any way, but how is it that within 2-3 weeks he had been sent down for three years. Normal cases like this don't get solved anywhere near as quickly, you often wait months, yet as soon as the aggrieved party is police officers it's done and dusted in double quick time. The same goes for the son of David Gilmour; yes, he vandalised a memorial, but the crime didn't really fit the heavy sentence, and in my view he only got such a heavy sentence because the police took the student riots so personally.

Really, it all comes down to initial causality. If the police hadn't acquired a reputation for incompetence, racism and brutality, this one shooting incident wouldn't have acted as the final straw to a community. There are also a number of other more transient factors, such as the lack of money and help given to many areas to improve them and change the mindset of the young. The lies the government told about tuition fees that incited the riots earlier this year acted as a spur to people - had the government been honest, the modern precedent for rioting and vandalism would not have been set.

The authorities, both governmental and law enforcement, should be looking at ways of helping areas and young people, and treating people with respect rather than suspicion. Then, perhaps, they would gain trust, the improvement of the areas would change the mindset of people who would be less inclined to react this way. As it is, hatred towards the police and the government is at a high we have not seen for years, and the consequence is rioting and vandalism, which I support until the authorities change the way they operate.

*Applauds* (Apart from the last sentence).

Edited by Whiskey1