RIOT!

big mickey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
As i said a Guardian journo claims he has been told the plan is for them all to meet there at midnight and the Hertford road from there to Enfield is a warzone.

Also some kid got stabbed outside the conservative club.

Fucking hell - I'm very, very glad that we're not in London anymore, the last time there was a disturbance at EG, my missus got very scared and upset, and I don't blame her. For reference, North London scared her, and she grew up in close proximity to Newark, NJ.

Search "Edmonton Green" on youropenbook.org - apparently, ASDA is getting fucked up, and the shopping centre.

I hope they don't get inside the shopping centre and cause a fire. With all the flats above that could turn out far worse than anything we saw last night.

I... erm... shit. My flat is above the new shops (such as Subway). Shit.

Fucking hell - I'm very, very glad that we're not in London anymore, the last time there was a disturbance at EG, my missus got very scared and upset, and I don't blame her. For reference, North London scared her, and she grew up in close proximity to Newark, NJ.

Search "Edmonton Green" on youropenbook.org - apparently, ASDA is getting fucked up, and the shopping centre.

I... erm... shit. My flat is above the new shops (such as Subway). Shit.

The thought of them getting inside the market and setting fires terrifies me what with the tower blocks above.

• Paid Members

I think they should evacuate the residents, and then dynamite the whole fucking place anyways. That way, the shopping centre is kaput, and can be replaced by something suitable for such a hub, the eyestore towerbollocks would be down, and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my flat occupied, I could just get the insurance.

So, let's get this straight:

Known criminal/drug dealer/'gangster' is followed by police during a planned operation.

Whatever happened, the police deemed shooting this person as appropriate action to protect the safety of the general public - and themselves.

Peaceful protest hijacked by a group of idiotic thugs, who attack police, public and personal property and then some post pictures of their loot on the internet?!

Protest carries on in a different area of London, where more police are attacked, more property is damaged and the safety of the general public is again put at risk.

And yet one or two people are trying to pick fault with police stop & search procedure/motivation or wanting to adopt the 'hug a hoodie' theory?

YOU read back. I was the one who sarcastically pointed out that Rick's reversal of my comment that people behave like scum when they are treated like (not "called", big difference) scum was like a chicken and egg scenario. I'm sure he didn't intend it that way, he just made the statement that people are only treated like scum when they act like scum.

It certainly read to me like he was demonstrating how easily the blame game could be reversed.

I think I was the mongol who pointed out that taken to it's natural conclusion that would imply that Baby P had it coming. And that a foetus would need to be possessed by a scum-demon in the womb for it to be true.

No it wouldn't. All that Baby P stuff and womb-nonsense has nothing to do with anything. That's the usual bobbins myopia that's caused you to think that. I'll come back to this in a bit. tiger_rick's phrase doesn't say anything about them being scum from the womb. It doesn't actually try to tritely explain why people act like scum, it merely says that those actions lead to people calling them scum -- your phrase, however, does try to limit the explanation to "you've called me scum, so I'll be scum." Excellent nuance there, champ.

I think you managed to cram every cynical bullshit internet distracting rhetorical device into a couple of lines there. Good work. "You people" was intended ironically. Not white-knighting for looters obviously, just think that it's more productive to try and understand the wider problems that can lead to this kind of behaviour if we want to sort them out, rather than yelling "INHUMAN SCUM" from the sidelines creating more anger and fear and scapegoating.

As opposed to yelling "IT'S EVERYONE ELSE'S FAULT" from the sidelines to excuse them. That sorts loads out, yeah.

I'm sorry if it's come across that way, but we're fighting a tide against the idea that all of society's problems can be solved by chucking out the bad apples.

I've never said it could, that's a very silly and impractical notion. But going "the apples heard you call them bad and then they went bad" is no better.

Of course every human is responsible for their own actions, and no-one has made any excuses for individuals behaving badly. Whiskey1 has made that clear several times.

No he hasn't, and neither have you. You've both thrown in the odd disclaimer that you don't excuse it but then continued to make the same excuses for said individuals behaving badly. If someone says "I'm not racist" but then bangs on about why black people should all be put back on the boat, which part of what they said do you associate with them? The disclaimer or the bulk of their argument?

But do you have no intellectual curiosity at all about why humans behave the way they do?

Of course I do. But I'm not sure that defending the dickheads wrecking London and hurting people as we speak is the best context for it, since it seems like white-knighting just for the sake of lefty points.

Do you honestly believe that humans behave badly purely because they're scum?

Theres no absolute, pure definition of what constitutes someone being scum, so what on earth does "purely because they're scum" mean? I think you've probably answered your take on this here:

Do you believe that the ability to make good decisions in life is learned behaviour, or is it something innate like a scum gene? That is the absolute position being presented here.

Yes, in your imagination. You've gone myopic again. I don't know if I missed it in spurs' post, but you've had a go at me about this strawman thing yet you're arguing against some "IT'S JUST A SCUM GENE LOL THEY'RE BORN THAT WAY" argument that I don't think anyone has put forward, and I know I certainly haven't. Of course there are multiple factors for someone turning out bad, but the difference is I don't think that excuses them or warrants brushing their actions under the carpet.

Whiskey and I have presented the idea that there is a whole host of possible reasons for anti-social or criminal behaviour, from upbringing, to genetics, to education, to poverty, to surroundings, peer groups, expectations, role models, childhood trauma, learning difficulties etc etc, and yes individual sense of morality. That's not an absolute position, that's a nuanced position. I've underlined some of the nuancey words there to try and help.

There is a world of difference between making excuses for societal behaviour and trying to understand and resolve the societal problems that tend to lead to anti-social and criminal behaviour.

Right, but in the context of this discussion about currently ongoing riots, those ideas -- and certainly the way they've been presented -- serve only to defend the looters by painting them as misunderstood, disenfranchised victims of an uncaring society. Even Duke, who by his own admission is ideally a bleeding heart slacktivist, recognises that going up to a looter and offering them a place on an IT course and a cuddle isn't going to make them put the petrol bombs down.

Edited by King Pitcos

My Nigerian mate (who had lived in Tottenham his whole life before moving up here 2 years ago), is devastated by all this. His family still live there and he is worried sick, on the phone to them constantly.

One of his old mates from school was one of those who's house had been burnt down, and he'd also been attacked as well beforehand.

He'd told me afew months ago that he was so glad to get out of Tottenham and that if you didn't know your way around, you'd have been in trouble within minutes - he couldn't believe how relaxed it is up here in comparison.

Gotta suck having your family trapped in the middle of it all whilst you are hundreds of miles away helpless to them.