Peter Staniforth

Iceman

While I wont and cant disagree with any comments made about Petey, I have to wonder why it's been instatly aimed at him when (in my opinion) there's places like UKW doing it much worse. PTW is barely a blip on the radar in Luton and most people will only ever see what it's like through searching on YouTube. However you have this other company with 95% awful "talents" and the promoter booking himself in main matches which is being shown on Sky television to the entire UK. Surely that's worse than a guy just doing shows seemingly for himself and lucky to have those 4 people in the crowd to watch it as opposed to the potential higher damage that could be done if people could easily find and watch it each week on TV?

I haven't seen any UKW so I will hold my comments until I do. But the reason I spoke out against PTW was because I found it while searching YouTube and was shocked by it.

I am going to have to stop posting on here as it's very addictive.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All i am saying is that surely the maximum amount of knowledge you have in any professional, Gives you the maximum chance of success? ( Admittedly, Good luck & Good timing can also help greatly)

I expect he's aware of all the things you mentioned, he just might not embrace using the wanky carny words for them.

Also how can you have a World champion? Your belt gets defended once a month in Luton.

STRAWB.

Sorry to kind of go off topic, but what is a Strawb? I see it thrown around but have no idea what it means.

This is how Doug Williams explained it on Twitter:

Strawb is short for Strawberry Mivvy, Navy rhyming slang for Civvy. As in civilian, as in a regular person. In Wrestling terms a fan!

I think Doug was being polite. I always thought it was Strawberry Mivvy, slang for Divvy. Therefore Strawb is used as an insult.

Correct, It is Divvy. Little bit surprised a promoter is unfamiliar with the term? Thought it was common knowledge inside the industry?

Cheers for clearing that up.

It's a term i've heard regularly, i'm just not really up to date with all the wrestling terms used on the net. I know what a 'mark' is, I know what a 'smart fan' is, and i'm guessing a 'smark' is a mixture of the two. And that's about as far as my knowledge on wrestling slang goes.

This has shocked me! No offence to you Sir, I just feel that to be the best you can at your job you have to speak the lingo? In the same way i would never attempt to start a business in a Non-English speaking country. You would be at a disadvantage before you even started?

All i am saying is that if you, yourself put on good/profitable shows then surely with a better grasp of the inner workings of your chosen profession, your shows would be even better which could help you draw bigger crowds? Like i say, No offence intended.

No offence taken. However I do disagree. My job is to book a venue, promote the hell out of the show in the town and surrounding area, book a good entertaining wrestling show, and then sell foam hands and backstage passes to the fans who've bought tickets for the show.

I honestly don't think knowing wrestling lingo will make a difference to my business model whatsoever.

So if you ran a regular venue using more or less the same talent, then knowing the true meaning of "Putting Over", "Getting Over" & "Staying Over". Would that not increase the perception that your top "Blue Eye" was an entertaining wrestler, Well worth fans making an emotional connection with? Thus ensuring their return (perhaps bringing others along with them).

I have a friend who i lost contact with. He was a fan with no experience or knowledge of inner workings of wrestling but always wanted to put a show on, He did & lost

Strawb can also mean div, or cripple.

I've always assumed it was an informal greeting, like "hi" or "hello".

Certainly every time I walked into a lockerroom it was the first thing people would say to me.

:thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Strawb can also mean div, or cripple.

I've always assumed it was an informal greeting, like "hi" or "hello".

Certainly every time I walked into a lockerroom it was the first thing people would say to me.

:thumbsup:

I was worried this gem was going to go unnoticed. Good arrows, Atikins :laugh:

Back in the day Iceman used to come up all the time. People would say he was just a shit hardcore wrestler, and then some other people (I think Pick was one of them) would say what a great worker he was and CAN CHAIN WRESTLE IF HE WANTS.

Classic memories from the forum.

* holds head in hands*

So what you are saying is that some people on this forum consider someone a " great wrestler" if they chain wrestle? Even Kurt Angle doesnt do " hold for hold" 45 minute matches.

Christ, it gets worse.

Being a great wrestler is not about whether you can chain wrestle or not. It isnt about your finishing move, or the amount of rotations you can get in your moonsault. It is about connecting with the audience and making damn sure that, as far as your match is concerned, they had a good time and you played with their emotions.

Although I agree that PTW is an absolute joke, I must say that Petey Staniforth is not what is wrong with british wrestling.What is wrong, is guys wrestling who dont look like wrestlers. With the exception of the token underdog, ( still not an excuse to look like a beanpole), how the hell is Bob Smith in the audience going to respect you, however well you " wrestle", if you look like the local paperboy?

And where are the gimmicks? We need to admit that the WOS days are over. Fans are accustomed to American Style wrestling, with big bodies, and big characters. I went to a local show recently, and I could not tell you one distinguishing feature about any of the roster. It was just " hand clapping babyface", or " cocky heel". Gimmicks are sadly missing from 90% of promotions these days.

Back in the day Iceman used to come up all the time. People would say he was just a shit hardcore wrestler, and then some other people (I think Pick was one of them) would say what a great worker he was and CAN CHAIN WRESTLE IF HE WANTS.

Classic memories from the forum.

Pick (and a few others) used to use that line about Ian Rotten all the time back when IWA:MS was cool. Funnily enough no matter what match they recommended and I ended up watching he still looked like a fat tub of embarassment to me.

This should bait Staniforth to chat for the merriment of all.

249422_10150199496152031_589742030_7405078_5343196_n.jpg

• Paid Members

Why are you acting all high and mighty? You're not far off Petey-level shitarsery yourself. People using your "Stainontrouserforth" zinger are taking the piss out of you as much as they are him.

• Moderators

Someone reported this post for trolling. I don't feel like doing anything regarding that, but I do feel like doing something because it was a really unfunny utterly shit post.

God you're awful tommy.

Someone reported this post for trolling. I don't feel like doing anything regarding that, but I do feel like doing something because it was a really unfunny utterly shit post.

God you're awful tommy.

I've been really bored today so my bad.

Archived