Peter Staniforth

Iceman

• Paid Members
Is there any full time wrestlers in this country?

Alot more than you would imagine

As in doing shows everyday? Didnt think it was like that in this country thought it was mainly a weekend thing if you get what i mean

Your username contains one of the few promotions in the world who offers work 6 days a week. Most of All Star's mainstay wrestlers are full-timers.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As in doing shows everyday? Didnt think it was like that in this country thought it was mainly a weekend thing if you get what i mean

Your username contains one of the few promotions in the world who offers work 6 days a week. Most of All Star's mainstay wrestlers are full-timers.

did not realise that so Allstar is the top of the tree in britain for wrestling?

• Paid Members

did not realise that so Allstar is the top of the tree in britain for wrestling?

Pretty much. Probably the biggest promotion in Europe - been running since the 70s, running 6 days a week, on frequent occasions putting on as many as three shows in three different locations in one night.

It's got nothing at all to do with being embarrassed it all boils down to it being your business and no one else's. I don't care how much a wrestler is paid so long as they are getting paid.

The circle of wrestlers that I used to travel with know how much I used to get paid as do I know their fee and in most cases I was on a higher wage than the worker I was on with but personal feelings never got in the way, we were both there to do a job and we just got on and done it.

Wrestlers ( at least the ones I was close to ) used to help eachother out, if a promoter was paying me well I would tell the lads to ask for more money and vise verser. And that's the way I think it should be, the lads looking out for eachother.

There is no unwritten rule or anything like that, it's just comes down to that persons preference.

Personly I wouldn't disclose how much I used to charge on a forum or in public.

Hope that clears it up.

The thing is, if wrestlers started disclosing their wage then it would become about the money and not being paid to go out and have a good time entertaining a live crowd.

Of course it should be about money, it's a business. Don't get me wrong I love wrestling and I love to go out and entertain and have people chant my name or boo me. But there is no way on earth that I would do it for free.

Its a job and you get paid in a job. Yes there is passion involved and a desire to wrestle but at the end of the night and you've done what you were booked to do then there should be a wage waiting for you before you leave the building.

I am not one of these that say I love wrestling that much I would do it for free because then it's not a job it a hobby.

• Paid Members
The thing is, if wrestlers started disclosing their wage then it would become about the money and not being paid to go out and have a good time entertaining a live crowd.

Of course it should be about money, it's a business. Don't get me wrong I love wrestling and I love to go out and entertain and have people chant my name or boo me. But there is no way on earth that I would do it for free.

Its a job and you get paid in a job. Yes there is passion involved and a desire to wrestle but at the end of the night and you've done what you were booked to do then there should be a wage waiting for you before you leave the building.

I am not one of these that say I love wrestling that much I would do it for free because then it's not a job it a hobby.

I don't think my post was worded to get the meaning across properly.

I fully agree wrestlers should be paid and if a wrestler accepts a booking for free then they probably know deep down they're not deserving of being booked in the first place. I just meant that if wrestlers starting sharing how much they were being paid, then it would become that and start a dick-waving and, "Wrestler X is getting paid y, well I've been around longer so should be paid z" culture, instead of turning up for work without that care and going out and doing a good job.

Ok how's about if your still training, just breaking out onto shows but still attend training classes. If those training expenses get waived as a result of your work on shows, surely that is acceptable?

there is no free rides in wrestling

Ok how's about if your still training, just breaking out onto shows but still attend training classes. If those training expenses get waived as a result of your work on shows, surely that is acceptable?

In the real world you get paid in an Apprenticeship so why shouldn't you get paid for wrestling when your training and working on shows?

If your good enough to be on shows then your good enough to get paid.

If your coach didn't sit you down and teach you that you never work for free then I suggest that you find another school as your so called coach is one more thing that's wrong with the job.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant it's only that I was taught that and it's stuck with me.

If an upcoming wrestler ever wants to gain respect from people who matter in wrestling never work for free under no circumstances.

What about working for less than 50 quid though? Doesn't that create a market expectation that you can just get ultra-cheap workers in? I'd love to know how many wrestlers on, say, the All Star roster get paid more than 50 quid per show.

What about working for less than 50 quid though? Doesn't that create a market expectation that you can just get ultra-cheap workers in? I'd love to know how many wrestlers on, say, the All Star roster get paid more than 50 quid per show.

That's up to the person, I was always in the mind set that you try and get as much as you can.

Like in life you only get what you pay for.

If a promoter wouldn't pay me what I asked for or we couldn't come to some sort of deal then I didn't have problem in not going. But some wrestlers feel that they have to take every booking, and are willing to be messed around by the promoter.

Again that's up to them.

Wrestlers must respect themselves, if your willing to risk injury for free then you have no respect for yourself.

The way I always thought of it was like this.

I've been in locker rooms where I know that people haven't been getting paid and I thought how low must you feel knowing that you are doing the same job as everyone else but doing it for free whilst others are getting paid.

Self respect cost nothing.

Isn't there a few workers called Iceman? I think I've seen two. One was in a show in Birmingham and he was decent enough.

I met one up north who was a complete dick and a few workers said he was a tosser as well. He made a tit of my mate who asked for his autograph and laughed about wanting a tenner for it with other workers. He's bloody shit, too, and was just one of those shit wave of hardcore wrestlers in the attitude era.

Either way, part of the problem with British Wrestling is the lack of professionalism that's shown in this post slating someone else, isn't it?

Either way, part of the problem with British Wrestling is the lack of professionalism that's shown in this post slating someone else, isn't it?

I've not seen Iceman's name around for a while, so I'd assume he's now out of it, and is free to say whatever he likes without the label of "unprofessional" getting flung at him.

Archived