Randy Savage Dies

Jambo

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is a very sad day to be a wrestling fan. We have lost a true legend of wrestling and one of my childhood favs. I loved his matches with Jake the Snake when the Snake bite him and the fact that it was not meant to happen etc. His matches with Flair were great one of my best moments was when he had a tag match with Flair and Razor vs Mr perfect and savage at ss. I just loved that buildup to the match and it is a match that I really loved. Who could forget Wembley stadium with Worrior and Savage wow.

RIP Matcho man how you are not in the Hall of Fame is a outrage. Thanks for the memories.

• Paid Members

I have just returned from two days on a training course where my battery died early on Thursday morning and I didn't pay for any internet in the hotel, and I turn my phone and tinternet back on simultaneously... to THIS news.

When I first started watching wrestling, Macho Man was one of the biggest heroes. In the beginning I only knew of his days as a bad guy from approximately WrestleMania VI to the emotional roller coaster of WMVII - even watching back retrospectively - but even then, he was a firery, never say die good guy who invariably took a shit kicking before eventually coming back. My earliest memories of Mach are some of the sell jobs which made me convinced he was in danger of losing a leg.

As I discovered more about his feuds with Jake and later Flair in the WWF, I was exposed to that "wild unpredictable" side which was only a foreshadowing of what was to come, before his apparent winding down which lead to him walking out on the WWF at the end of his contract. When he turned to WcW, it merely added weight to my childish (well, I was one) view that WcW was a rest home for WWF has beens. I doubted Savage could still go. How wrong I was.

His renewed on/off friendship/feud with Hulkster and love/betrayal with Liz were an obvious source of enjoyment, but the real spark was with Flair. Savage became over the course of 1996 one of the most believable nutcases I had ever seen, and his breakdown under the pressure of trying to get back the belt, Liz trying to get him back and the nWo taking WcW over was a great storyline arc, as was his return as part of the very same nWo. With other babyfaces in the same position, joining a faction that had beaten the shit out of him and humiliated him just months early, it wouldn't have made any sense. Personally, I was so utterly convinced that he had lost his Macho mind, that it made perfect sense that he would stick it to WcW for allowing everything to happen to him. He got Liz back, he didn't have to worry about Hogan beating him up anymore, and he probably looked forward to beating Flair up again. Savage was a superb heel, different to the previous overbearing smugness of the Macho King but with just as much zest.

I would write a touch about his feud with DDP, but then I may very well be here all night... and the point of me even starting this post was to point out precisely why I can't. I haven't shed tears as I did when I lost favourites during their active years, but this has still shaken me. I was really looking forward to catching up on the forum, but hearing this has temporarily killed my enthusiasm for talking about wrestling. Probably be up for it again come morning, but for now, I can't.

Rest In Peace Macho, I hope Liz was waiting to hold the ropes open for you.

Terrible news. I always loved Macho Man. His match with Warrior at Wrestlemania 7 is one of my favourite matches of all time, the reunion with Elizabeth at the end is also one of my favourite moments ever in wrestling. So many great memories from his matches and fueds.

RIP Macho.

looking back at some of his matches. i believe he possibly brought out the best of the ultimate warrior in their match at wrestlemania 7 then summerslam 92. and thats no easy taskt to have good matches with the warrior based on stories told about him. so that shows just how talented randy savage was.

i liked him in wcw too with the feud with ddp

So gutted to hear the news today, always one of my favourites and it is a shame that we will never hear a Macho Man hall of fame speech but I guess if there is anyone who could put into words the life and career of randy Savage it would be his brother 'The Genius' Lanny Poffo I hope it happens next year. One of the greatest superstars ever. RIP.

This video summed up Randy Savage to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERyEZwq_DE

My favorite match of his was the one with Flair at Wrestlemania 8, still my favorite match of mine that either one of them had. I really enjoyed his feud with DDP in WCW as well, their matches were good as well. The match with Warrior at Wrestlemania is gold as well.

Honestly I can only think of Austin and Rock who I think are better all rounders than him and I cant think of anyone on the current scene who I could say was better than him. Savage could draw in his day, that is somthing not many could do, I hate how some say his promos are incoherant his insanity made it all the more fun for me.

When I look back I think I will always have him down as my favorite from that era, as I started watching wrestling in around 1992 when I was 5 I can credit him with the British Bulldog as the reasons I got into to wrestling. I can remember them two the most.

Nice to hear him and Hogan patched things up, Savage I imigine got rid of a lot of bitterness towards the end of his life.

EDIT: How could I forget I used him all the time on Super WrestleMania for the mega drive as his finisher was the easiest to use, bless that man

absolutely gutted at this news, one of my heros when i first got into wrestling 20+ years ago. the worst thing is i didnt even have to go on a news site to find it out, it flashed up on my news bar linked to e! online :( . think i will watch the dvd wwe put out last year over the weekend as a tribute and try my hardest not to shed a tear (although i feel that the ending of the savage/warrior match at mania 7 may just do that)

one thing that angers me though is the amount of people showing no class on news sites by taking pot shots at wwe whilst paying tribute to savage, all because he hasnt been put into the hall of fame yet.

R.I.P Macho Man, one of the greats without a doubt who will be missed not only by his fans but by the wrestling world as a whole

Archived