Randy Savage Dies

Jambo

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UNTRUE! UNTRUE! UNTRUE!

Awful news. I was hoping he'd be back in for a Hall of Fame speech as well. It's been nice to see him get a DVD and figures and get in the games the past year or two, and do the videos hyping them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9kaAH56M9k

It's on wwe.com and WWE's Facebook now as well.

WWE is saddened to learn of the passing of one of the greatest Superstars of his time, Randy Poffo, a.k.a. Randy “Macho Man” Savage. Poffo was under contract with WWE from 1985 to 1993 and held both the WWE and Intercontinental Championships. Our sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends. We wish a speedy recovery to his wife Lynn. Poffo will be greatly missed by WWE and his fans.

• Paid Members

What an icon, a showman, I remember get a tape off one of my dad friends who specially recorded the survivor series that had the angle with with the snake attack set up and just being mesmerised by that and the this tuesday in texas match that followed. I don't think there was a wrestling fan that couldn't enjoy his matches and the way he pulled you in.

Rest In Peace Randy.

What with wrestling deaths being what they are - frequently occurring and sometimes not a total shock - this one is utterly devastating. An immensely talented performer who left the business seemingly with his health intact, found love and settled down to enjoy his wealth. What an awful end.

He was - and I sure this'll get bandied about a lot as hyperbole but in my case its the gospel truth - my HERO as a child. I'd watch his matches over and over, draw pictures, make up matches for him with my Hasbro figures, posters on the wall, I absolutely idolised the guy. I remember when I was a bit older and he started plugging Slim Jims, asking my parents to buy me Slim Jims, we didn't have them in this country but my Dad insisted peperami was the same thing. I hated them, but ate them anyway because that's what the Macho Man ate. I figured it would make me big and strong. Mum also made me a dayglo Macho Man costume complete with sunglasses you couldn't see through properly and a cowboy hat, and I'd prance around with "Land of Hope and Glory" from one of my Dad's classical music compilations playing as I elbow dropped the sofa cushions off the stairs.

Also, the aftermath of his WM7 match with Warrior has to be one of the most perfectly scripted moments in television. Not just wrestling. It was a perfect payoff that people had waited for for years. How sad that all the players in that moment - Savage, Sherri and Elizabeth - are now gone.

Fucking shite news. That's just spoiled my day. Savage was one of the real icons of wrestling for me as a youngster growing up, part of the reason (along with Hogan, Warrior, Andre, DiBiase) that I fell so deeply in love with our sport. May he drop a double axe hammer from the top rope in the sky.

• Moderators
Also, the aftermath of his WM7 match with Warrior has to be one of the most perfectly scripted moments in television. Not just wrestling. It was a perfect payoff that people had waited for for years. How sad that all the players in that moment - Savage, Sherri and Elizabeth - are now gone.

What a tremendous story that was. When he finally realised that when he had nothing, he still had Elizabeth and she was the only person who cared all along. And that pay off when he stops her opening the ropes for him like she always would, and then opened the ropes for her? Perfect. Better than most love stories on TV.

Archived