Wrestling & MMA Gifs *NSFW*

obama_316

• Moderators

I don't think it's ever worth bringing up Daniel Bryan as someone did here as he was in WWF development far before ROH even existed. Christ, when he was working under a hood for All Star, he'd actively make smarks look like shit when they'd try and talk to him.

"Good match tonight, anyway, how's roh?"

"What?"

"Ring of honor?"

"Never heard of it!"

And that's why he gets it. He's not a Ring of Honor guy. He was wrestling Regal in Memphis for the WWF Power Pro, learning off lads like Lawler and Hayes, in 2000, having to suffer through Dan Maff in Jersey. Coming to Britain and not cosplaying like Cabana, but working Butlins and working his arse off and "being English so keep your mouth shut.". Then on the continent, then to Japan as American Dragon. Work, work, work. Learn, learn, learn.

Daniel Bryan is one of the best on earth, and it has less than fuck all to do with Ring of Honor.

But I just find it funny that the people in wrestling who want to look REAL look the fucking fakest and worst. You want to be real, want to be MMA? Go in there with a bullrope and throw like Stan Hansen. Don't insult our intelligence.

Edited by PowerButchi

I do admire the fact that a lot of the RoH guys make the effort to think up creative counters and sequences, because you don't see much innovation in mainstream wrestling these days.

That's bollocks. Fancy, smooth, nonsensical sequences doesn't = innovation or imagination. It = lack of understanding, something most of the guys in mainstream wrestling do have and is exactly why you don't see them doing that shit. There's still plenty of innovation in the big leagues, just in different (better) forms.

Thunderplexs post is bollocks too. Ring phycology dead? Wrestling is nothing without it, it most certainly still exists and when it's used accordingly it's still tremendous.

Why bollocks? It's purely my opinion as a fan who has lost a great deal of interest in a sport I love. It's been a long time since I have seen a match that really tells a story. If you have any examples of something I have missed that will get the blood pumping please share, I'll be more than happy to watch.

There is plenty of great story telling/psychology in WWE in my opinion, the Randy Orton/Christian feud was outstanding, they literally ramped up the intensity with each passing match, something that worked in one match, i.e. Christian doing a quick body press from the second rope, the next match Orton ducked it, so the following match Christian faked him out with the move, let Orton duck and then hit something else. Stuff like that is absolutely brilliant, it makes a match 100 times better, any time Cena/Punk wrestle they also have that, where you see counters to counters as they get familiar with each others move set.

There is nothing worse than seeing Cena or Orton etc hit the 5 move comeback, in the same order, at the same time, and you are supposed to believe that there opponent wouldn't break the combination, it's crazy.

My thoughts on ROH echo most people's on here i think, i can't stand Davey Richards, just can't stand him, it's his audacity aswel that goes along with it, on the shoot with Highspots they put the notion of no selling to him, he basically said "Yeah i don't sell, and what of it", that to me, is disgusting, then he started knocking the matches that Flair and Steamboat had in 89, saying they were boring cos they did nothing of note in the matches.

I was furious, and left a comment on Highspots website where you review the DVD.

Bret Hart always said it best, the art of pro wrestling is to make it seem as though you are hurting your opponent, but you never do.

This was long winded, apologies :thumbsup:

Edited by nobby

• Paid Members
Daniel Bryan is one of the best on earth, and it has less than fuck all to do with Ring of Honor.

How do you work that one out? Work, work, work, Learn, learn learn... except for the place where you spent 7 years?

He did some good stuff in ROH, but he learnt his craft by working all over the place. Had some cracking matches over here, one in particular with Mark Sloane is a true classic of what I love about wrestling.

• Paid Members

He worked for RoH more than any other promotion. Over a career spanning almost 14 years, he spent 50% of that time in Ring of Honor. Of course he learned his craft and developed his skills there, just as he did in England, Japan everywhere else that he wrestled. He wasn't made by RoH, but to say that his time there has contributed nothing to him being where he is today is wrong.

Anyway, this is the GIF thread, so...

tumblr_m1xj6lGQcG1qi0mi7o1_400.gif

Edited by Arch Stanton

He worked for RoH more than any other promotion. Over a career spanning almost 14 years, he spent 50% of that time in Ring of Honor.

Although nowhere near 50% of his matches were in Ring of Honor, were they? I think he was full-time for years and RoH weren't a full-time promotion for a long while?? I dunno... I just doubt very much that RoH is a notable contribution to his development.

I also would have thought his time working for All Star was way more beneficial. Working a full-time schedule in front of large crowds where the demo matches the WWE more closely.

Again, I dunno...

• Paid Members

I think Butch's point was that Danielson's development was more to do with his own hard work and development of his own style with a largely WWE and perhaps Japanese grounding rather than any investment or influence on the part of ROH.

Certainly, ROH gave him a place to work but he may well have developed to the point he is at now without working for them. What they offered him was the 'exposure' of working for a major indie and a good run within that.

In terms of his development, though, he learned the vast majority of his trade through a WWE background - Shawn Michaels and William Regal most notably. The WWE has had far more influence on getting him to where he is than ROH.