Whats your opinion on British Wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Here's one for you: ever since I've been on this forum, there's always something going on with some promoter or wrestler thinking he's above it all (but still posting anyway). Even in the early days when I was only on here for the odd windup (I joined about two days after Hogan won the belt, just to laugh at the smart arses on here crying over his title win. As you see, I've matured since then), there's always been something daft happening involving British wrestling personalities. Whether its Alex Shane getting a pasting or shooting angles on the forum with fellow British wrestling personalities or someone nicking a ring and everyone wondering why Steve Lynskey's phone number kept turning up in a thread or the 1PW shite or divy bikers making fools of themselves, someone always chims in with "no wonder Britih Wrestling is seen as complete shit when you have people like this in it".

With that in mind, whats you views on the scene in this country? This is a question for those who follow it, those who are in it and also those who are put off by it. Do the people in the business on here put you off it? To the promoters or wrestlers on here, do the fans on here do your nut in? To the ones who like it: why do you like it?

Also, when is WrestleXpress happening?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough question: On the whole im not a big fan of british wrestling. I like british wrestlers and the talent that they have. Majority of the UKFF 50 are good wrestlers. But the shows seem indie like and to pantomine. The exceptions are FWA, IPW and 1pw. When these promotions get things right they look the real deal, however sometimes they just fall by the wayside. 1PW need to be more reliable and not mess up, IPW need a few more storylines to go with their good in ring product, and FWA need to have a bit of a better in ring product to go with good storylines. They also need to stop this expo nonsense.

For lack of better terms, nothing seems to be certain or set in stone anywhere near as much as things should be. Outside of perhaps IPW, I don't think I would waste my time or efforts attempting to get into any British promotion for fear that there's a big chance that it wouldn't be around in six months time. I would never attend a 1PW show because of a name that they announce, the reasons for that shouldn't need explaining.

I think however that the biggest thing that grinds my gears about the British wrestling scene on the whole is that way too many promotions are little more than glorified backyard groups. Even a lot of the shows you see advertised that do feature talented wrestlers still look like shows you could do a better job of yourself. Too many shows are not ran from a sound business stand-point; they're just 'dreams' for armchair bookers who want to be the next Vince McMahon. Anybody can get a couple of grand together and run a show, but it takes more than that to create a wrestling company. Ironically, too many people think that you can get into the wrestling BUSINESS with minimal funds and recources and make a success of it.

Being entertained is important, but you shouldn't assume just because you're entertained everybody else will be. If you go to shows regulary, or are a fan of UK wrestling, then you tend to overlook and dismiss some of the presentational problems that occur at some shows. When I've attended wrestling shows on my own (None of my friends are/were into wresting either now or back in the day) I've enjoyed them, whenever I've persuaded anybody to come with me I usaully feel completely embarrassed by the product, unable to defend it.

• Paid Members

Personally, I think there's far too many promotions. I feel that the, for want of a better term, shitter ones, need to be removed from the "scene" so the decent promotions can grew a bit more instead of staying on the same level as themselves and inferior "competitors". Essentially, I don't feel the UK's big enough for 100+ promoters, 80% of which under the age of 21.

The production values of a school play, and wrestlers who look either crap or dull. That's why I can't get into British wrestling, the various promoters, wrestlers and lackeys that post on here don't make any odds one way or the other. I know people say some of the companies are shitter than others, but to me, they all look total shit compared to the proper, American companies. When I see some of the higher-budget ones, even with their video screen and a bit of scaffolding in the village hall, they still look like a cheap English knock-off of a slick American product.

I need to get into characters to get into wrestling. But as these Britwres promotions have either no TV show or a shit one with the aforementioned school play production values, there's no real "in" for me to get into any characters. The storylines all seem either very basic and ineffective (a necessity when you're basically just running a little show once a month and any new punters won't be familiar with them) or a load of bollocks (FWA).

I wouldn't find it any easier to watch American smalltime shows, either.

As someone who tried I just thought I'd give my opinion on the topic in question. As a major wrestling fan I always wanted to get into the world of professional wrestling, firstly I attempted to train at NWA Hammerlock as a teenager, which was short lived due to travelling, however years later I decided to take my outsiders knowledge of wrestling and accompany it with my knowledge of promotion and events.

I was lucky enough to team up with Stu Allen (The Dominator) and began to co-own the company he founded in the 90's EWW. In 2009 we were lucky to run some very successful events across the country including making Kings Hall, Herne Bay the new spiritual home for the promotion. Unfortunately due to the perception of the 'no-stars' in British Wrestling I like many other promoters got drawn into the 'Bring in ex-WWE talent to boost numbers', I think the way I did it was wrong and my biggest mistake. The amount of money spent on 'International Talent' vs the increase in sales did not justify the experiment and instead of making money instead put the project in the red. Our best shows were the ones with the best UK talent on the cards, great entertainment and action for the crowd to want to come back time after time. After reviewing my personal situation and time alloted to continue to the project I decided to pull out of working in Wrestling and from what I hear and see EWW still runs great shows!

Independent wrestling attracts a majority crowd of kids and their parents, if promoted at a good ticket price and with a smart marketing campaign UK wrestling events will draw by understanding the market and it's purpose (which is to fill the gap whilst WWE are out of town/to provide a cheaper alternative for mummy & daddy)

The above does not apply to the niche shows such as The NOAH or Dragon Gate shows which have their own target audience to attract/market too.

I believe too many people get involved with the dream of playing 'the boss', I suggest if thats what you want to do go and play TEW 05, Wrestling just like any other business will only thrive if people with the understanding of wrestling, business and marketing (or a team who can come together to bring those skills together) and run with smart financial limitations.

All these upstart companies, I urge you promoters before you decide to run a wrestling show contact one of the more established well run companies and ask to help out in some way, I am sure they would appreciate the help and it will give you the chance to gain experience and learn more about how the logistics all work. Rather than throwing thousands at a project you might not see again, step back and see first hand what you are getting yourself into.

From analyzing the scene for a long time, I really respect the IPW:UK model and have a lot of time for Andy Quildan and his team, consistently running shows that from the outside looking in either pay for themselves or make a tidy profit, this is how a company should be run. Using Andy for an example, he seems to be working in other areas now which will only enhance his promoting abilities.

I understand the 1PW dream and chasing the big shows with big names but you leave yourself open to attack and criticism when the financial implications means loss of talent etc...

Stars don't exist because stars haven't been created, consistency is key....but with a million wannabe promotions and 99% of them damaging UK wrestlings name we have no chance in creating stars.

I am not trying to be preachy, but I am sure we can all count with our hands how many decent promotions we have in the UK, these promotions need the help and with it I think the British wrestling scene can become viable again.

Now I embrace myself for the backlash :-)

Be nice, this is my first post here!!!

• Paid Members
The production values of a school play, and wrestlers who look either crap or dull. That's why I can't get into British wrestling, the various promoters, wrestlers and lackeys that post on here don't make any odds one way or the other. I know people say some of the companies are shitter than others, but to me, they all look total shit compared to the proper, American companies. When I see some of the higher-budget ones, even with their video screen and a bit of scaffolding in the village hall, they still look like a cheap English knock-off of a slick American product.

I need to get into characters to get into wrestling. But as these Britwres promotions have either no TV show or a shit one with the aforementioned school play production values, there's no real "in" for me to get into any characters. The storylines all seem either very basic and ineffective (a necessity when you're basically just running a little show once a month and any new punters won't be familiar with them) or a load of bollocks (FWA).

I wouldn't find it any easier to watch American smalltime shows, either.

The barrier of entry into the British wrestling industry is definitely too low. I get the feeling if someone doesn't feel they're getting booked favourably they just leave and set up shop on their own, rather than looking at themselves and seeking how they could improve. And new promoters don't care who's in the area, they just go out and book a show any way rather than learning the ropes properly from someone who's done it before. That second point, I speak as a guilty party from a few years ago.

It does seem like anyone who pays their subs for training every week will get a match on the card after a bit. But I suppose that's fair enough, as is people going "Oh, they're never gonna give me the (replica WWE) belt here, I'm gonna go and set up my own promotion." It's laughable and small-time as fuck, but it is basically just a hobby, so as long as they're having fun doing it and nobody gets too hurt, I don't have a problem with it. It's just not the sort of thing I'm going to be interested in as a fan.

They're not proper wrestling companies or proper shows, are they? They're just amateurs messing about, occasionally with enough money to bring in Billy Gunn or Val Venis or someone. It's unfair to compare this sort of stuff to WWE and TNA, really, but I can't help but make the comparison. And the comparison can't help but make me not watch British wrestling.

• Paid Members

The King as usual has it bang on with the production values, it's a real turn off in all fairness. I appreciate budgetary reasons probably put pay to that, but then the contrast between the bigger, better and slicker looking production in the States makes it all too low brow in comparison.

I clocked a video on here recently of the FWA running shows in Thorpe Park or something, and apparently it was all quite successful. If this little trend spreads throughout other theme parks and it actually generates a bit of a buzz and interest, I think British Wrestling may have even found a new home. After a certain period if the shows are constant, you could build them a set somewhere in the park that doesn't look like it's been knocked together in about five minutes. There are some genuinely talented workers in the UK that also crucially possess a good, marketable look to boot and this could prove to be something of a platform for them.

I'm not sure what the FWA did, I think passers by already there for the day just watched the shows for a bit, weren't charged and then went on their merry way as FWA just did normal matches and the like. I'd have guys in there cutting promos, singling out the crowd, etc. I'd maybe start charging something measly like a pound for people to come and watch. It's only a pound, but with the amount of people that come through the park every day you'd at least make a little something for your troubles. To bring in other punters who would be interested in going just for the wrestling, I'd charge a little something but give them something like a gaurenteed seat.

Then, it's just old school ticket selling tactics really; big shows at the end of each month, DVD tapings (which any amatuer film buff these days could probably knock together for them with a couple of cameras and a couple of extra crew on board...I might give them a ring) and other promotion via any other methods they can conjure up really.

The whole scene, from backyardigans to "big time" in the UK, is knock-off pseudo-American tripe, plain and simple. And that's a combined result of low-quality 'training' (and no 'weeding system' of trainees) and poor company management. All Star is probably closest to a decent business model, but take a look at the attendance figures outside of the big shows and camp gigs - the business is still sliding.

I actually spend more time watching britwres than I do US wrestling, in the last 2 years I've been to more shows than I can care to recall, some brilliant and some shit. There are some pomoters who are putting out great products such as DPW and NBW Southside, bringing in imports and putting on proffesional shows with good storylines and building genuine interest. The DPW show the other night was packed, they look like a quality outfit and best of all it was bloody free entry. I'd expect the majority of the people that were there would be up for travelling to the next show because they know they're going to get a good night out, be entertained and probably go home with some nice memories and a giant foam finger. If any of those same fans came on here and read some of the stuff that gets said about UK wrestling like all the shit about 1PW, the shitarse companies,people being screwed over, delayed and cancelled shows they would probably never go to a wrestling event again in their lives.

Personally, I think there's far too many promotions. I feel that the, for want of a better term, shitter ones, need to be removed from the "scene" so the decent promotions can grew a bit more instead of staying on the same level as themselves and inferior "competitors".

Couldn't agree more with this. The good UK promoters need to pool together, push out all these glorified backyard feds and work together to actually build a scene. Theres no chance of putting British wrestling in anywhere near the same ball park as the yanks if for every good fed theres 50 that are complete and utter dross. I know it's a business and everybody is rightly out for themselves and to make money, thats fine, but looking at the bigger picture I think this country would benefit from having "terretories", everybody runs their own bit or if theres a coupld of decent promotions in the same area divy it out. Most casual fans dont know the names of promotions and are going to be put off going to shows if some Danny Rodd-a-like strolls in to every town saying he's booked Randy Savage to wrestle some bloke dressed as Doink The Clown and doesn't deliver and pisses all over the chance of anybody making money there again.

I quite like it. Granted, I only started delving into independent wrestling last year, so experiencing smaller shows is still a fun novelty to me. There's something I find very appealing about promotions that regularly run the same venue, and have built up a loyal fanbase. Fans who aren't on the internet, but know the characters and stories. It's not a big, glamorous National audience, but there's something to set said about attracting these local folk, and entertaining them to the point where they keep coming back. It's a different animal than touring around, only having to draw fans from each town once-a-year. It's a commendable endeavor.

I'm not nearly learned enough about the industry to go into declining attendances, bad performers, crooked promoters, or any other negatives that may or may not be going on. From my perspective, it's fun, and it's great that there still is local wrestling that wrestling fans can go to. I'd love to see British wrestling grow and expand in the future. I'd love to see a lot of these guys make a boat load of money. I'd love for the wrestling not to have to go overseas to "make it". For the here and now I'm into the scene, and hope that by supporting these promotions, they will expand.

To the ones who like it: why do you like it?

It's just great to go to live shows on a regular basis and not be fed total shit. The tribute shows back in the day put me off going to see any local wrestling for a LONG time and then I started going back to shows in 2003. The wrestling is good, some of the fueds are great and enjoyable. There's one in particular that's got me emotionally involved in a pretty big scale.

There's one promotion actually, ICW, which is my absolute favourite at the moment. The atmosphere kind of tips it over the edge.

Do the people in the business on here put you off it?

They put me off certain promotions, but they don't put me off UK wrestling on the whole. There's also a few good eggs on here, and that'll make things easier to be sure.

Archived