Whats your opinion on British Wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

My opinion on British Wrestling has always been that it is what it is. There's not enough money in it to be any other way and there never will be. I think that's fine. There's a few places where if you pay less than a tenner you're sure to have a fun night out. Might not be the best wrestling you'll ever see, or the most glammerous, but it'll be entertaining. That's all it can do really. Its the lower divisions or the small local bands. Of course there's a few dodgy things on the UK scene but there's no real way of getting rid of them. They're just par for the course.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find Britwres such a frustration at times. There are those promotions that seem to have a great potential, and then just shoot themselves in the foot, such as FWA. I got back into watching wrestling in 07, and then into British wrestling at the tail end of '09, just as they were kicking back off and I was into it for a while, but then the overcomplicted storylines (that go' straight over our heads' apparently), and never ending title tournaments sort of tested my patience with them. Add in the irregularity of shows and well, I stopped caring after a few months.

I've not been to any IPW shows yet, but I've only heard good things about them, so I think they'd be worth me making the effort for.

As someone else said, there really are too many promotions knocking about, and too many poorly run/promoted ones as well. I know that there are at least 4 promotions that run within a 25mile radius of where I live, and theres only one that I attend regularly. Serious overkill.

Additionally, whilst there are a few standout wrestlers, there are way too many shitty ones. The sort that don't care about their look in the slightest, and wrestle like a complete shitarse.

If people are going to wrestle, then they really should LOOK like they belong in a ring.

So many promoters charge way over the odds for admission too. I mean there's a good academy show that runs near me, and it costs me a fiver to get me and my kids into the show, whereas if I go to one based a few miles down the road its going to cost me around

The main things that put me off are the small rings/terrible production values and the fact that most shows are aimed at kids. Also it doesn't help that most of the wrestlers either can't wrestle or are wrestling as if they are in Butlins, that's what puts me off. When ever I go to a wrestling event I feel as if I have to dumb myself down to enjoy it, I never had to do that when I would watch american indy shows on DVD/TWC.

• Paid Members
As someone who tried I just thought I'd give my opinion on the topic in question. As a major wrestling fan I always wanted to get into the world of professional wrestling, firstly I attempted to train at NWA Hammerlock as a teenager, which was short lived due to travelling, however years later I decided to take my outsiders knowledge of wrestling and accompany it with my knowledge of promotion and events.

I was lucky enough to team up with Stu Allen (The Dominator) and began to co-own the company he founded in the 90's EWW. In 2009 we were lucky to run some very successful events across the country including making Kings Hall, Herne Bay the new spiritual home for the promotion. Unfortunately due to the perception of the 'no-stars' in British Wrestling I like many other promoters got drawn into the 'Bring in ex-WWE talent to boost numbers', I think the way I did it was wrong and my biggest mistake. The amount of money spent on 'International Talent' vs the increase in sales did not justify the experiment and instead of making money instead put the project in the red. Our best shows were the ones with the best UK talent on the cards, great entertainment and action for the crowd to want to come back time after time. After reviewing my personal situation and time alloted to continue to the project I decided to pull out of working in Wrestling and from what I hear and see EWW still runs great shows!

Independent wrestling attracts a majority crowd of kids and their parents, if promoted at a good ticket price and with a smart marketing campaign UK wrestling events will draw by understanding the market and it's purpose (which is to fill the gap whilst WWE are out of town/to provide a cheaper alternative for mummy & daddy)

The above does not apply to the niche shows such as The NOAH or Dragon Gate shows which have their own target audience to attract/market too.

I believe too many people get involved with the dream of playing 'the boss', I suggest if thats what you want to do go and play TEW 05, Wrestling just like any other business will only thrive if people with the understanding of wrestling, business and marketing (or a team who can come together to bring those skills together) and run with smart financial limitations.

All these upstart companies, I urge you promoters before you decide to run a wrestling show contact one of the more established well run companies and ask to help out in some way, I am sure they would appreciate the help and it will give you the chance to gain experience and learn more about how the logistics all work. Rather than throwing thousands at a project you might not see again, step back and see first hand what you are getting yourself into.

From analyzing the scene for a long time, I really respect the IPW:UK model and have a lot of time for Andy Quildan and his team, consistently running shows that from the outside looking in either pay for themselves or make a tidy profit, this is how a company should be run. Using Andy for an example, he seems to be working in other areas now which will only enhance his promoting abilities.

I understand the 1PW dream and chasing the big shows with big names but you leave yourself open to attack and criticism when the financial implications means loss of talent etc...

Stars don't exist because stars haven't been created, consistency is key....but with a million wannabe promotions and 99% of them damaging UK wrestlings name we have no chance in creating stars.

I am not trying to be preachy, but I am sure we can all count with our hands how many decent promotions we have in the UK, these promotions need the help and with it I think the British wrestling scene can become viable again.

Now I embrace myself for the backlash :-)

Be nice, this is my first post here!!!

This whole post is actually pretty on the nail and comes from someone who tried and failed, so it's not just empty words either. It's a shame others don't follow this sort of advice before deciding to play Vince McMahon. But then, and I've said this before, the good from the gash would be much more disquinshiable if proper reputable talent weren't so willing to work for anyone with a wallet.

The main things that put me off are the small rings/terrible production values and the fact that most shows are aimed at kids. Also it doesn't help that most of the wrestlers ... are wrestling as if they are in Butlins, that's what puts me off. When ever I go to a wrestling event I feel as if I have to dumb myself down to enjoy it, I never had to do that when I would watch american indy shows on DVD/TWC.

That's the core audience though - anyone wrestling with the bigger audience in mind is surely doing the right thing. Teenage/twenty-something fans than watch American independent wrestling are inevitably, and perennially, the niche crowd - as demonstrated by all these American indy feds that have guys flying around in front of 80 people. Good characters draw, that template has never changed. But what the kids think are good characters is often vastly different to what the older crowd do.

• Paid Members

You have to bear in mind that the shows are small-time because the industry is small-time over here. There's no money in British wrestling, which is way the shows are comparable to the indy shows in the US. Of course it can't come close to matching the big leagues of WWE or TNA, they are immensely popular worldwide. This all goes back to the late 80s- interest changed and swung in favour of American wrestling and it will probably never swing back in this country.

Nobody will invest lots of money in British wrestling because they know they won't see a return. Just look at those that actually have tried to throw a bit of money into BritWres- it hasn't paid off. You could argue lack of management but I don't think it would make a huge difference. As Pity said, with this type of wrestling you need to build characters- you can't really do that without TV and rely on live event audiences. 90%, maybe more, of attendees in British Wrestling are casual fans- locals to that venue. So to build characters for that audience you need to run lots of shows there. You can't run shows too aften at the same venue as you will burn it out and interest will eventually diminish. FWA did a pretty good job of building characters and garnering interest from a core set of fans, but that only lasted so long- eventually the bus trips from the north to York Hall and Broxbourne soon stopped. To be honest, being an FWA fan during 2002-2004 was fantastic.

In terms of the actual wrestling product here, I think the UK is a bit of a gem-mine, and you can see the results from the amount of British-based wrestlers currently plying their trade in WWE or TNA. There are surely more than there have ever been, and this can be attributed to the quality of wrestlers we have at the moment. I think this can be tied back to the Attituide era- a lot of the top British wrestlers were into it during the late 90s/early 2000s, the last boom period, and were inspired to be wrestlers and using the WWF/WCW/ECW style that became popular. Then you have to say quite a few wrestlers that are doing well were inspired by the FWA- you only have to look at one of their old videos and play 'spot the worker' in the crowd, shouting 'F-W-A' at the top of their voice. However I think the amount of quality wrestlers coming through over here has started to reduce and will continue to do so- again so much of it depends on the success of wrestling over the other side of the pond.

It's like going to a small gig. Sure it doesnt had the production values of a beyonce concert but that's not to say you won't be entertained.

It is the minor leagues and a lack of money will hold it back but that's not to say it isn't fun. There is a lot of shit out there but there is also some real talent out there too.

If your near one of the ones that gets food reviews I'd check it out as live the production isn't as important as it is on tape.

• Paid Members
It's like going to a small gig. Sure it doesnt had the production values of a beyonce concert but that's not to say you won't be entertained.

It is the minor leagues and a lack of money will hold it back but that's not to say it isn't fun. There is a lot of shit out there but there is also some real talent out there too.

If your near one of the ones that gets food reviews I'd check it out as live the production isn't as important as it is on tape.

To be honest, I think this sums up the industry rather nicely. Spot on.

UK wrestling needs a good shake up. Investment is key, which will only come if the TV companies sign up for it. There are so many factions that make it hard for the fans to keep up with storylines etc.

As a "follower" in Glasgow there are quite a few companies, mostly with the same wrestlers who put on some great shows. But honestly the folks don't know the wrestlers (storylines could still be unique to the promotion but whether a wrestler is a heel or a face should be universal as said earlier its consitency that counts) - mibbies a few unadulterated advertising showreels needed.

Regarding talent - well there is plenty and there does seem to be a lot coming thru - Mibbies only for viewers in Scotland.

There is also a huge talent in advertising and DVD production that its strange that TV companies have not been knocking on the doors. After all I am sure it would be classed as "cheap" programming.

IMHO I find the shows in Glasgow well worth the money, or I just wouldn't go.

As an aside what about a UK wrestlers Big Brother type show - training thru the week (and boozing) with shows being put on Saturday and Sunday. Judged by UK hall of famers.

the good from the gash would be much more disquinshiable if proper reputable talent weren't so willing to work for anyone with a wallet.

I think that's a really good point, and it's a problem throughout the industry - you've got one of wrestling's biggest stars, Kevin Nash, coming over to wrestle for the ultimate ShitWres promotion, 1PW. I guess we can't expect American stars to care about the state of the British industry, but homegrown, local workers should take a longer-term view of the health of their profession and refuse to work for shitty feds.

UK wrestling needs a good shake up. Investment is key, which will only come if the TV companies sign up for it.

There is also a huge talent in advertising and DVD production that its strange that TV companies have not been knocking on the doors. After all I am sure it would be classed as "cheap" programming.

So do you think that Britwres companies are going to regularly draw in the thousands if a TV company comes in and invests in it as cheap programming?

Putting it on telly as is, or with a little bit of money added, it'd look shit and do nobody any good. It would take a lot of investment for it to not look like some kids and hobbyists playing at WWE. High five figures, minimum. Far more than any TV company is feasibly going to put in. And even then, it'd still be battling the absolute mountain of WWE name recognition, and the big names that TNA can sell itself on.

No matter how much money you pump into Britwres, it's not going to sell out the NIA or the O2, or even the Liverpool Olympia on a regular basis. It's not worth putting millions into a promotion just to help them run a slightly bigger leisure centre.

The only 'British' company I've seen live is DPW, and I've got to agree their product is fantastic. The first show I went to was their first of the year and I left having enjoyed myself and knowing who all the guys are, whether to boo or cheer them and what 'gimmicks' they had. The past two shows have been free, and while I'm erring on the optimistic sides of things at the moment, I'm worried that there's the motive to get people in, and they'll come back and pay next time method there. But saying that, I'd happily pay to get in, it's worth the money for a fun night out with some quality wrestling nestled in between the obviously child themed product. And that, I think is where the problem lies.

I've seen some of IPW and they do a great thing for the 'hardcore' wrestling fan (not at all a knock on their product, I'd go, but financially I just can't) but their fans are in the minority, the biggest wrestling entity in the UK being WWE it's a hard ask for anybody else to get the exposure. DPW aims mainly at the kids who are programmed to the WWE style. The DPW wrestlers do a fantastic job of getting the kids into their matches, lots of interaction with the audience, comedy and clapping for lockups and that. While some of that does grate on me being 23, I'm guaranteed at least one great match a show. Heck, I saw Jonny Storm and El Ligero tear it up for 20 minutes in Feb, brilliant match. The money is with the children and the casual fans over here. As much as I'd love to see a truly national/regional promotion akin to RoH here, financially I doubt it'll be viable.

What British Wrestling needs is a Dixie Carter like figure to invest a lot of money who is prepared to lose most of it for years. Otherwise I don't see it getting above the level its currently at.

What British Wrestling needs is a Dixie Carter like figure to invest a lot of money who is prepared to lose most of it for years. Otherwise I don't see it getting above the level its currently at.

Throwing money at something is not the answer, trust me.

Consistency and exposure is what British wrestling needs, however you need a group of enormously skilled and connected people within an organisation to make that happen. In an industry that is really part time/hobby for most it is hard for this type of drive to be undertaken.

Its a demand situation, with the current supply and demand UK wrestling is on average worth 200-300 tickets (I may be being slightly generous here lol), and until the marketing and perception is changed it is what it is.

Archived