UFC 130: Hamill vs Rampage Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I think Rogan was fair about Nelson - on this occasion he blew up massively against someone who clearly isn't a cardio machine. Stann annoys me but has improved immeasurably. If Rampage did come in with a broken hand I think it was a decent performance.

i think it was fair too...the point i was making was that in the past Joe Rogan has defended Roy's physique saying not to let it fool you, he kind of said the same thing again last night up until it got to the point where it was pretty obvious that Nelson's poor conditioning is what lost him the fight.

I think Rogan was fair about Nelson - on this occasion he blew up massively against someone who clearly isn't a cardio machine. Stann annoys me but has improved immeasurably. If Rampage did come in with a broken hand I think it was a decent performance.

i think it was fair too...the point i was making was that in the past Joe Rogan has defended Roy's physique saying not to let it fool you, he kind of said the same thing again last night up until it got to the point where it was pretty obvious that Nelson's poor conditioning is what lost him the fight.

I was a big fan of Joe Rogan from his comedy work and his UFC work. His massive contradictions are starting to really grate on me though. If I hear 'underrated ground game' again I may cry.

• Paid Members

Mir/Nelson was good for a round but after that it was a mess. I've made no secret that I can't stand Mir but he looked decent in short spells last night. His wrestling looked better than it ever has in the past and his striking looks to have come on.

Still hasn't fixed his cardio though, he was fucked after about 3 minutes. I'm guessing he'll get the winner of Nog/Schaub next and then a rubber match with Brock on his return.

On Rogan, he was right about Nelson but he didn't need to bang on about it so relentlessly imo. I know Nelson was the more gassed but Mir was sucking wind too and Rogan was in flat out denial about it. Something like

Goldberg "both men are tired Joe"

Rogan "Mir doesn't look tired.....Nelson is exhausted" as Mir was red faced and puffing his cheeks :laugh:

Glad Rampage won. Wasn't a great fight but I dunno what the crowd was booing at. I thought Rampage did everything right. Mixed up his striking better than he usually does too. Some of them knees to the body were brutal.

Alves/Story was a great little fight as expected. Bit surprised Story was able to dominate Alves so easily early on, great performance by him.

Torres/Johnson was my FOTN easy. Really enjoyed that. Best grappling based fight in ages, since probably Maia/MacDonald. Awesome fight.

Oh and this

ztjfx2.gif

Jesus Christ

• Paid Members

Awards were

Fight of the Night - Stann/Santiago

KO of the Night - Travis Browne

Sub of the Night - Gleison Tibau

Stann/Santiago was good but I thought Torres/Johnson and Alves/Story were better. They fuckin love Stann though so no surprises there and it was a good fight to be fair.

Goldberg "both men are tired Joe"

Rogan "Mir doesn't look tired.....Nelson is exhausted" as Mir was red faced and puffing his cheeks :laugh:

I think what Rogan said was "Mir looks really tired but Nelson looks exhausted." Which is fair, because whilst Frank was gassed Nelson was a fucking mess. I think the two being friends stopped Mir bothering to finish as it was obvious he could have done. Nelson had nothing in the 3rd.

Some ok fights earlier on saved the show from being a write off. The semi-main and main were both dull and underwhelming.

The event went the way I expected, great show up until the last two fights. I'm not knocking Rampage, I think he did everything right and did try to get the knockout, it just wasn't the most exciting fight.

Mir vs. Nelson wasn't great. Mir looked good in spells but they were both so gassed and I think Mir could've finished in that last round if he'd really wanted. Couple in a row for Mir, still in the mix but I can't see him doing anything against Cain or JDS.

Alves/Story was good, Story wants Fitch next and I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Johnson/Torres was FOTN for me as well, it was a really fun fight. I had it 29-28 Torres, but I was happy to see Johnson win it.

The event went the way I expected, great show up until the last two fights. I'm not knocking Rampage, I think he did everything right and did try to get the knockout, it just wasn't the most exciting fight.

If Rampage wasn't exaggerating about his hand injury then the very fact that he took the fight at all should clear up any doubts about his commitment to the sport & the company.

If he had dropped out of that fight the event would have been screwed big time.

Having seen the post-fight interview that Rampage did with Ariel Helwani, I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing these two play off each other for a while yet!

clicky.

Man of the night for me was Brian Stann who looked incredible against Santigo

The UFC love Brian Stann, his story, the way he fights and looks. If he improves at this rate and adds a decent ground game he could become the UFC next poster boy. The UFC needed a fresh challenger at 185 and Stann fits the bill, I am sure whilst Dana would never admit it he would love Stann to be the one who dethrones Anderson Silva and as Anderson is aging and now 36 that may not be such a pipedream if Stann wins a few more fights. If Wanderlai beats Leben that should be next for Stann.

I didnt think Mir was that bad and think Dana was being a bit harsh. Nelson took a pounding and it looks like Dana is going to make him lose weight, if he drops to 205 I would be interested but Nelson is still a decent mid-level heavweight in the UFC.

I am glad Rampage won but dissapointed he didnt finish, I do believe he had an hand injury. With Rashad and Davis tied up it may just be Rampage vs Jones next, which is interesting enough for me to get excited about.

Average show as a whole, but with the Browne knockout and Stann looking the shit well worth the watch.

The UFC love Brian Stann, his story, the way he fights and looks.

The UFC may love him, but I sure don't. I don't mind him from bell to bell, but when he starts talking and going on about all the military nonsense I just switch off.

I'd love for Wanderlei to KO Stann.

The UFC love Brian Stann, his story, the way he fights and looks.

The UFC may love him, but I sure don't. I don't mind him from bell to bell, but when he starts talking and going on about all the military nonsense I just switch off.

I'd love for Wanderlei to KO Stann.

Oh I agree on that, I enjoy him as a fighter he is rarely in a boring fight but I couldnt care less when he woffles on about the military. Unfortunatly Americans love that shit up (as I am sure you well know David), that is why the UFC love him.

I will give the UFC this though, unlike with guys in the past like Kimbo in Elite XC, Stann may be pushed all over their shows but he doesnt get cans to build himself up, thus they do not lose credability.

I agree that Stann could be the one to dethrone Anderson Silva but Stann has a few holes in his game to patch up before facing Silva. If those two go at it someones getting knocked out within 2 rounds

Archived