Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story

Demetrious Johnson vs. Miguel Torres*

Tim Boetsch vs. Kendall Grove*

Gleison Tibauvs. Bart Palaszewski+

Chris Cariaso vs. Michael McDonald+

Cole Escovedo vs. Renan Barao+

* SpikeTV prelims

+ Unaired prelims

Another nice little fight card from the UFC. Edgar vs Maynard III, which should be an interesting bout.

Other fights I'm looking forward to include the Rampage & Frank Mir bouts. It's also nice to see "one punch" Pickett getting something of a glamour fight against Torres.

A win for him there will push him right into the limelight.

It's also sad to see Kid Yamamoto being nothing more than an unaired prelim.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like one of the best cards the UFC has ever done and there are some great stories behind the main fights but seriously the Unaired prelims look like they could make a great fight night on their own so i hope they are most if not all of them on Facebook

• Paid Members

Love this card. Edgar/Maynard is an interesting one. Tough one to call but I think Maynard takes a points win this time. I reckon/hope Nelson will KO Mir :)

The 2 Spike prelims could both be FOTN material. I know Torres has tried to fight more conservatively recently but I think Pickett can drag him into a war. Alves/Story should be a belter, hoping Alves can put in another strong showing.

Rampage/Hamill, Santiago/Stann, Struve/Browne should all be pretty fun fights. Hope we get to see KID's fight too.

Edgar/Maynard III is interesting as nobody had great expectations for the second fight and it turned out to be a terrific fight. I particularly enjoyed the divided opinion on how the fight was scored. What was it like here? I ask I didn't see the fight till months after. Edgar/Maynard II is still my FOTY so far. I've got Edgar by decision.

Nelson/Mir's an intriguing fight. Nelson's lost a lot of weight.

• Paid Members

i get the feeling that Gray Maynard is going to correct a few mistakes and come out on top on this one. He was literally seconds away from victory last time but blew his wad trying to finish it, he kind of lost his way for a few rounds after that...i don't see him making the same mistake again, i'll take Gray by 3rd round TKO.

It's wild how these guys managed to turn the fans around, no one wanted Maynard/Edgar II but it was a pleasant surprise that the fight turned out to be as good as it was, gotta give credit to both guys.

My breakdown for the main fights

Edgar vs Maynard - Besides the first round which was a clear 10-8 for Maynard I had Edgar winning every round, not only did he outstrike Maynard he outwreslted the bigger man as well, I dont see Edgar getting caught again, he is just too quick and technical for Maynard, Maynard may make a few rounds close but I think Edgar will clearly win on the judges cards

Rampage vs Hamill - Only way Hamill has a shot is if he lay and preys, I dont see that happening as Hamill is no Rashad in the wrestling department, Page should TKO Hamill early

Mir vs Nelson - Tough one to call, but ill pick Mir, Mir only seems to struggle against powerful wrestlers like Brock and Carwin who maul him, on the feet he is actually much improved. I see Mir winning a very competive fight on the judges cards, if Nelson nicked it I wouldnt be shoucked

i get the feeling that Gray Maynard is going to correct a few mistakes and come out on top on this one. He was literally seconds away from victory last time but blew his wad trying to finish it, he kind of lost his way for a few rounds after that...i don't see him making the same mistake again, i'll take Gray by 3rd round TKO.

It's wild how these guys managed to turn the fans around, no one wanted Maynard/Edgar II but it was a pleasant surprise that the fight turned out to be as good as it was, gotta give credit to both guys.

It's nice when low expectations are proved wrong for those reasons and to see if Edgar can finally beat Maynard having lost and drawn against him.

Edgar vs Maynard - Besides the first round which was a clear 10-8 for Maynard I had Edgar winning every round, not only did he outstrike Maynard he outwreslted the bigger man as well, I dont see Edgar getting caught again, he is just too quick and technical for Maynard, Maynard may make a few rounds close but I think Edgar will clearly win on the judges cards

I had the same scorecard.

It's nice when low expectations are proved wrong for those reasons and to see if Edgar can finally beat Maynard having lost and drawn against him.

I had the same scorecard.

Yeah its funny, because most places I read saw it as it was, a draw but I went away thinking Edgar was the supirior fighter who just got caught in the first, the fact Maynard couldnt knock him down again in the next 4 rounds gives me a lot of confidence that Edgar will dominate the 3rd fight. Plus since Edgar outwrestled him that takes away Maynards biggest weapon

• Paid Members

I had the last fight like this

Round 1 - Maynard 10-8

Round 2 - Edgar 10-9

Round 3 - Maynard 10-9

Round 4 - Edgar 10-9

Round 5 - Edgar 10-9

So I had it 47-47. But round 3 was close and could've gone to Edgar. Was a great fight though.

Despite Maynard having a power advantage I actually think he should try to outwrestle Edgar like in their first fight. It worked a treat the first time, he was the bigger stronger wrestler and he was able to control Frankie for the entire fight. I think him badly hurting Edgar so early in the 2nd fight made him abandon his wrestling and go recklessly for the KO. This time I think he'll wrestle and pick his strikes more carefully and make em count more.

I'd like to see Edgar win though. Edgar vs Pettis/Guida would be sweet.

• Paid Members

I know this isn't MMA but fuck it

Roy Nelson vs Frank Mir from Grapplers Quest in 2003

Man, Roy looked different back then :D Gotta say Mir was absolutely handling him til he gassed.

As for their upcoming fight I really think Big Roy's taking this one. I'd say Mir's the more dangerous grappler and a bit better with submissions where Roy's more of a control/smothering type. But I see this fight being mainly on the feet and although Mir's proved me wrong against Cro Cop and Kongo I can't see him troubling Nelson too much. Dos Santos couldn't knock Nelson out I'd be surprised if Mir can.

I'll have Big Country by TKO within the first couple of rounds.

Pickett vs Torres is the sleeper match on this card for me. Pickett winning could lead to him getting a title shot on the UFC event over here in October.

FWIW, I hope Edgar wins in the main event because I am not a fan at all of Maynard. He's a meathead.

Pickett vs Torres is the sleeper match on this card for me. Pickett winning could lead to him getting a title shot on the UFC event over here in October.

No chance, Bowles will get the next shot (if he beats Mizugaki). Pickett would probably have to beat Benavidez after beating Torres in order to get a shot.

Pickett has pulled out of the fight against Torres. Demetrious Johnson has stepped up to replace him.

That's unfortunate for Pickett as I had this being a sort of coming out night for him, and really fancied him beating Torres here. Have to agree with Metal on Metal that even with a win he wasn't getting a title shot next, as in his previous fight but one he lost to Jorgenson (in what I had as my second favourite WEC fight of last year). I've got Nelson beating Mir also, and fairly handily. Not too fussed either way regarding the main event, and Rampage is going to knock Hamill into the middle of next week.

Archived