UFC 130: Hamill vs Rampage Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Those comments were from the beginning of the week. Rampage has now changed his tune.

In recent interviews, Jackson made headlines when he said he wasn't particularly excited to face Hamill. On a Thursday teleconference, Jackson said that wasn't unusual for him, as he no longer gets excited about facing anyone. But, he also added that changed a bit when Hamill commented recently that he knew he was "going to break his will."

"My main motivation is to win," he said, "but I think Matt made a mistake when he said he's going to break my will and I'm going to overlook him. That lit a fire up under my ass. That made me train a little bit harder so I can break his will, and make sure I can outclass him."

Jackson admitted that was the just the pick-me-up he needed to spark him.

From MMAFighting.com

• Paid Members

I don't think Rampage's heart has been in it for awhile...in a way i actually prefer that he's being truthful in his interviews rather than saying he's motivated when he isn't. But as far as selling a fight goes, its the worst possible thing he can do. I called a Hamill upset from the beginning, i think Hamill may come in wrestling minded and just frustrate the hell out of Rampage. I'd love to see Rampage win it, get the fire back and get back in the mix but im predicting a rough night for him...unless Hamill decides to box, which he has done in the past.

It's an intriguing bout.

• Paid Members

With this being only a few days away now, who's everyone fancy to win?

Rampage Jackson vs Matt Hamill

On paper Hamill has the tools to do what Rashad did I don't think he'll be as effective. He's like a slower version of Rashad with powerful but sloppy standup and he doesn't fight as smart imo.

Rampage has really good takedown defence and I think he will be able to make it a struggle for Hamill to get him down which could tire him and draw him into a striking match. On the feet I think Rampage is the much better fighter.

I'll go with Rampage by KO/TKO round 3

Frank Mir vs Roy Nelson

Despite being 2 of the best BJJ guys at heavyweight I don't see this one going to the ground. Both know how good the other guy is on the ground and I think they'll just keep it on the feet. Plus Mir is shit at takedowns and seems to fancy himself as some badass striker now judging by his comments recently and Roy likes to bang so I doubt he'll be shooting.

I actually think Mir has the better standup technically but I can't see him hurting Nelson. IMO Nelson can hit harder than Mir, take a harder shot than Mir and has more heart. I can see Big Country catching him early and putting him away.

Backing Roy Nelson by KO/TKO round 1

Stefan Struve vs Travis Browne

Don't really know with this. I haven't seen enough of Browne to judge, just the McSweeney and Kongo fights but he seems like a decent prospect. Massive guy, heavy handed. Struve always brings a great fight and can take a hell of a clubbing and come back with a win.

Just got a feeling Browne's power might be too much for the Giraffe this time :(

Browne by KO/TKO round 2

Brian Stann vs Jorge Santiago

This is a toss up to me. Santiago's a good fighter and he'll give Stann a rough night if he can get him to the floor. Saying that Santiago's been knocked out a fair few times and I've got no doubt Stann could put him out if he lands a bomb.

I'll go with a Santiago submission round 2

Thiago Alves vs Rick Story

This is my pick for FOTN. Alves looked great against John Howard and made the weight without any issue under Mike Dolce's diet. He's with Dolce for this one too so hopefully no weight issues again.Should be a cracking PPV opener.

Story is underrated. He's 5-0 in his last 5 and is the only guy to beat Johny Hendricks. Also had a really close fight with John Hathaway that could have gone either way so he's no joke. I think Alves will be too much for him though if he comes in like he did last time out. Too good of a striker and very good defensive grappling. Great sprawl and if Story gets him down I can't see him doing much to Alves on the ground.

Alves by decision

And for the Spike fights

Miguel Torres vs Demetrious Johnson

Should be a good fight. Hopefully more exciting than Torres' fight with Banuelos which was really disappointing. Mighty Mouse is relentless so hopefully he'll force Torres to bring out the old fire. If Torres wins this I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a crack at the winner of Cruz vs Faber 2 for the title.

Torres by decision

Kendall Grove vs Tim Boetsch

I'd love to see Boetsch smash Grove. If Boetsch's power carries down with him to 185 then Grove's suspect chin could be touching canvas Saturday. Really interested to see how Boetsch looks physically at the weight cos he was a bit of a porker at 205. Could be a good move for him.

Yeah fuck it, gonna go with Boetch KO/TKO round 1

I'll avoid any long analysis at the moment, but I've got Rampage, Nelson, Browne, Alves, Santiago, Johnson and Boetsch.

I am really looking forward to Nelson vs Mir and it's one of those that I can't see Mir winning in anyway. The JDS fight shows all you need to know about Nelson, his heart and ability to take punishment. If JDS couldn't put him away/stop him then Mir certainly wont be KO'ing/TKO'ing him.

Can't see Hamill troubling Rampage. Huge step up for Rick Story who is on a five fight win streak (starting with his awesome scrap against Brian Foster), though think Alves will be too much for him to handle. Hoping Boetsch sends 'Da Spyder' packing from the UFC, as Groves has been close to being cut dating back all the way to the Evan Tanner (RIP) fight. Johnson will absolutely pressure Torres for the duration of the fight and I am picking him for the upset. Still not sold on Brian Stann, and I think it'll be a backward step after the career high victory over Leben last time out.

• Paid Members

in my official picks i had Rampage, Nelson, Story, Struve, Santiago, Grove & Torres...it was for money so i bet with what i thought was gonna happen, but i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hamill scores an upset over Rampage. It's a case of nothing to lose for Hamill, it's the biggest fight of his life and i think it's gonna work in his favour.

Looking at this card every fight looks like it could easily go either way, so i'm expecting a great night of fights. My picks are Hamill, Nelson, Struve, Stann, Alves, Johnson and Grove.

I think Hamill will wrestle Rampage to a decision. I hope Rampage gets a highlight reel knockout, but I can't get away from Hamill in this fight, just got a feeling.

I agree with the people saying Nelson vs. Mir won't go to the ground, I think they'll respect eachothers ground game and try to win the fight on the feet. Mirs stand up has looked better but I still don't rate it too highly, I think Nelson will knock him out in the first round. I'll definently be cheering on Big Country.

Struve vs. Browne is the fight I can't make my mind up on at all. I'd love to see Struve go on a good run of wins, but this could easily go either way, i'm going for a Struve knockout in round 2, but no outcome would suprise me in this fight.

Chris Leban knocked out Santiago. Stann knocked out Leban. So Stann must knockout Santiago, right? Nah i'm not really going for that logic as no sport works like that, but I do think Stann has the power to knockout anyone in that division. If he can avoid the early takedowns then I think he wins this by TKO/KO in round 1.

Story is on a great run, but Alves wins this. I think he'll dominate the fight on the feet and win a decision, I'm hoping for a war.

I'm picking Johnson to beat Torres. I really like Johnson and I think he can win this fight. Torres will have to step it up from his last fight, Johnson will be a hard test. Johnson by decision.

I'd love to see Grove knocked out in this fight and of the UFC, i've never liked the guy. But I think he'll win with a second round sub, unfortunately.

Very strange Rampage interview conducted today by Ariel Helwani:

Link

There is a couple of times that Rampage is seconds away from hitting Ariel, really unprofessional from Rampage - his attitude since TUF 11 has really put me off as a fan of his, to the extent that I'm hoping Hamill knocks him out.

Just an absolute dick.

• Paid Members

Hamill doesn't like getting hit though. I think Rampage will rock him early and it will be all over in fairly short order.

• Paid Members

the Hamill doesn't like getting hit thing is getting old...it all stems from the time he got a concussion on TUF. Since then i haven't seen Hamill not be willing to stand and trade with anyone, he fights like the Terminator, constantly coming forward. He aint afraid of shit...having said that, i wouldn't recommend him standing and trading with Rampage.

As for Rampage' shift in persona from a fans perspective. There was a time when Rampage was universally loved as far as MMA went, but ever since the TUF thing with Rashad there's definately been a change. It's just further indictation imo that he just doesn't wanna be inlolved in MMA anymore. Hamill's going to win!

Archived