UFC 130: Hamill vs Rampage Discussion Thread

David

Has anyone watched the Countdown show? I just watched it on UFC.com and found it strange during the Rick Story segment that they said he beat Brandon Melendez, and showed a picture of Gilbert Melendez. Not something the UFC does regularly fuckin somethin like that up is it

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair Ariel isn't exactly faultless. He says a lot of things with a smug look on his face

"I'm glad we sorted out our differences"

"Can you tell me not what to say"

"You kind of hurt my feelings last time"

Rampage was just being Rampage, he clearly doesn't like the guy and he was still trying to throw in a bit of humour at the same time. He didn't exactly get that much in Ariel's face and I'm sure he didn't really take "squash" out of context, he was having a joke just as much as Ariel and playing up to the cameras.

yeh, that wasn't that bad. I think Rampage had every right to say he wouldn't have done the interview if he'd realised Ariel was the guy that talked shit on twitter (i dont know what he said by the way)....he was back in playful mode soon enough. It was actually pretty cool to see em try to sort it out on camera.

All Ariel said on twitter regarding Rampage was regarding his phone interview on the MMA Hour that, he said Rampage didn't seem himself and that he was sorry to the fans of the show as he felt he (Ariel) had let down people who watch the show.

It wasn't really anything slagging Rampage off (I don't think Ariel or any other respected reporter would ever slag a fighter off anyway, regardless), I think its more a case of Rampage's group of people misinterpreting the situation (lets face it, he surrounds himself with sketchy yes-men) which led to 'Page being pissed off with Helwani - that being said, there is absolutely no excuse for acting the way he did (considering the only other person to act similarly to a reporter is Nick Diaz, says it all).

To be fair Ariel isn't exactly faultless. He says a lot of things with a smug look on his face

"I'm glad we sorted out our differences"

"Can you tell me not what to say"

"You kind of hurt my feelings last time"

Rampage was just being Rampage, he clearly doesn't like the guy and he was still trying to throw in a bit of humour at the same time. He didn't exactly get that much in Ariel's face and I'm sure he didn't really take "squash" out of context, he was having a joke just as much as Ariel and playing up to the cameras.

yeh, that wasn't that bad. I think Rampage had every right to say he wouldn't have done the interview if he'd realised Ariel was the guy that talked shit on twitter (i dont know what he said by the way)....he was back in playful mode soon enough. It was actually pretty cool to see em try to sort it out on camera.

All Ariel said on twitter regarding Rampage was regarding his phone interview on the MMA Hour that, he said Rampage didn't seem himself and that he was sorry to the fans of the show as he felt he (Ariel) had let down people who watch the show.

It wasn't really anything slagging Rampage off (I don't think Ariel or any other respected reporter would ever slag a fighter off anyway, regardless), I think its more a case of Rampage's group of people misinterpreting the situation (lets face it, he surrounds himself with sketchy yes-men) which led to 'Page being pissed off with Helwani - that being said, there is absolutely no excuse for acting the way he did (considering the only other person to act similarly to a reporter is Nick Diaz, says it all).

You keep going on about how his attitude is out of order, all he did was act a bit dickish to an MMA reporter who he had a grudge against, it's not like he was on Jay Leno or David Letterman and acted like this by disgracing the sport. He was kind of prick to an MMA internet news guy. It's kind of like a wrestler being rude to Bryan Alvarez or Meltzer in an interview, no one would really cry "outrage" as you seem to be doing.

• Paid Members
It's kind of like a wrestler squaring up to fight Bryan Alvarez or Meltzer in an interview,
Fixed. I imagine people would think that was retarded too

• Paid Members
Has anyone watched the Countdown show? I just watched it on UFC.com and found it strange during the Rick Story segment that they said he beat Brandon Melendez, and showed a picture of Gilbert Melendez. Not something the UFC does regularly fuckin somethin like that up is it

yeh i noticed that too, what a weird mistake to make.

I just bit the bullet and ordered this thing. Pretty tired and sore; was gonna just watch it at the RSL but I decided to watch from the comfort of my lounge instead. Even though this has been riddled with injuries, I still think it's a great main card. Picking Stann, Alves, Struve, Nelson and Rampage. I think Hamill will fight balls to the wall coming in as the big underdog and make an explosive main event, and of course Big Country will do the same.

I always enjoy watching Stefan Struve improve in every fight. His last one against McCorkle was a bit of a gimme, but he's a young guy to watch.

Stann is coming off his biggest win against Leben, want to see how he follows up, and Santiago is no joke.

Finally, if you're not keen to see Thiago Alves fight after his win over John Howard in December, you don't have a pulse. Should be a slobberknocker there, as JR would say.

The prelims are pretty meh. I wanted to see Cody McKenzie fight, but Gleison Tibau will have to do, he's a good one. The only real thing that interests me from the prelims is Miguel Torres, I'd like to see him get forced to fight recklessly again.

I think the big problem with the main card is that there is very little thats new about it and overall it doesn't show the UFC in 2011 the main card could have taken place 2 years ago and it wouldn't look out of place.

Don't know if its just me but i really don't think this is the show the UFC should be promoting at the moment

Struve, Nelson, Stann and Story all on the main card, seems pretty new to me. The established guys like Rampage, Hamill, Mir and Alves are all still relevant. The main event will help determine the next challenger for Jon Jones' title, Mir vs Nelson should be a battle of who is in the heavyweight top 5. The way I see it, it goes Cain, JDS, Lesnar, Carwin and Mir/Nelson.

I think people are knocking this card based on the lack of a title fight (I know, Edgar vs Maynard isn't 'new' either, but still warranted). Judging it on its individual merits, it seems like a better card than 125 or 127, and a hell of a lot better than 131, which looks fucking dire. The shitness of 131 contributed to my decision to buy this one.

• Paid Members

up until the end of the 1st round of Mir/Nelson this was an awesome show.

Story/Alves was a cracking fight, Rick Story is fearless in there, he stood in the pocket and traded bombs with Alves, got nailed and didnt take a backward step once. This was a coming out performance for him, Alves by no means looked shit though, he struggled against Story's aggression but actually looked the stronger fighter in the 3rd round...Rick Story is the kind of guy that you can't take a round off with though, great stuff.

Browne/Struve - sloppy shit until the finish, crazy fucking knockout...Stefan Struve's fights are guaranteed to include a highlight of some sort and this was no different, only problem is Struve's not always on the good end of them, BOINK!!!

Torres/Johnson - interesting fight to score, it was an awesome grappling fight. Personally i thought Torres did enough off his back to win a competitive fight...exciting stuff though.

Santiago/Stann - once again a Japanse superstar struggles badly?!? From the opening bell it just seemed like it was a matter of time before Stann landed something. I've doubted Brian Stann in the past, i won't any more.

Rampage/Hamill - meh, it ended up being a poor main event but fuck it. Can't knock Rampage, it was a professional performance, he hit Hamill with some big shots but never really over committed to the point where he was putting himself in a position to be taken down. It was apparent that Matt Hamill really had no shot after around 2 minutes.

Mir/Nelson - the first round was great but after that this kind of went through the motions. Kind of annoyed at Joe Rogan, in the past he's made the point to not underestimate Nelson because of his physique, but tonight all he did was complain about it...you can't disagree but sometimes Rogan contradicts himself. I'm always first to doubt Frank Mir, but he looked decent tonight...i still don't think he has anything to offer the elite after a round, but here he was fighting a guy who was more tired than him after a round.

If none of this makes sense it was because i was pissed when i wrote it....

goodnight!!!

I think Rogan was fair about Nelson - on this occasion he blew up massively against someone who clearly isn't a cardio machine. Stann annoys me but has improved immeasurably. If Rampage did come in with a broken hand I think it was a decent performance.

Archived