UFC 130: Hamill vs Rampage Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

They were gonna have Anthony Pettis step in and fight Maynard at 130

According to former WEC Lightweight Champion Anthony Pettis, he was asked "3 or 4 days ago" to step in and fight Gray Maynard in the UFC 130 main event. Frankie Edgar's ribs were apparently enough for him to pull out for sure, but Maynard was going to try and tough it out with a knee injury.

"They were going to have me fight Maynard on that card. I said yes to that deal right away. I guess it turns out that it

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Alves/Story has been promoted to the main card, and Grove/Boetsch is on the Spike prelims now

from MMAJunkie

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Matt Hamill vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson

Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve

Jorge Santiago vs. Brian Stann

Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Demetrious Johnson vs. Miguel Torres

Tim Boetsch vs. Kendall Grove

PRELIMINARY CARD

Bart Palaszewski vs. Gleison Tibau

Chris Cariaso vs. Michael McDonald

Renan Barao vs. Cole Escovedo

I expect we might get the bottom 3 on facebook, good stuff

• Paid Members
Im guna say Decision by Hamill, hes a pure bred wrestler Hamills gunna hold Rampage down.

Plus Nelson via submission

As good a grappler as Nelson is I'd be very surprised if he submits Mir. They're both great grapplers but different in styles. I'd say Mir has the more dangerous submission game but Nelson has better control and better wrestling. I think their grappling will cancel each other out and this will be on the feet.

As odd as it sounds in a fight between 2 BJJ guys I think a submission is actually the least likely ending in this one.

I'm leaning towards Hamill as well. I think he can take a close decision victory, really hope i'm wrong though.

I'm backing Nelson to get a big first round KO against Mir.

Yeah I'm going for a Big Country TKO within 2 rounds. Mir's striking has improved but Nelson beats him in power, heart and chin imo.

As for Rampage/Hamill. I can see why people are picking Hamill, especially if he can work a similar gameplan to the one Rashad used. I don't think that will work so well this time though for a couple of reasons. One Hamill's slower and more predictable than Rashad so might have trouble setting up takedowns. And 2 Rampage shouldn't be so rusty as he was against Evans cos he was off being Mr T back then. He looked much better vs Machida.

Only way I see Rampage losing is like Piddlepants says, if Rampage underestimates him. I'm going with Rampage by TKO.

• Paid Members

fuck me whats going on lately. Between this card, Brock's health going to shit again and all the confusion over Aoki's opponent for DREAM 17 this has gotta be the worst spell of injuries/pullouts in MMA history.

Archived