The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I dont get why people are saying wrestling is there dirty secret.

Questions along the lines of "Aren't you too old for it?", "You do realise it's fake/gay?", "You actually watch two grown men in pants dancing around a ring?" are just some of the many common conundrums that are thrown at most wrestling fans. Being a wrestling fan or a member of the UKFF is hardly something I'd put on my CV or bring up in conversation when meeting a girlfriend's parents for the first time. Like I said in an earlier post, wrestling is primarily a product that is aimed at children, no two ways about it. To be an avid fan when you're a fully-grown bloke isn't the coolest thing you can achieve.

I might watch Robot Wars on the sly but you wouldn't catch my in a Sgt. Bash t-shirt or asking miss blondie I've just met at the bar whether she thought Razor was better than Hypno Disc. Besides, there are worse dirty secrets to be had than being a wrestling fan.

Yeah, pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't deny I watch it or anything, but I'm not going to wear a Cena shirt down the pub or crowbar wrestling into a uni essay or presentation. It seems to be the case that a lot of wrestling fans want to define their entire life around it , clothing themselves in the apparel and relating everything back to it. Similar to Trekkies and metal heads. It's blokes in tights theatrically pretending to fight. It can be great fun to watch, but it's not the fucking be all and end all.

LARPing (Live Action Role Playing) takes it one step further in that not only do you dress up as a character you actually act in role. Most of the characters are made by the players themselves and then groups of players interact with each other for hours at a time, reacting to situations they are given by those controlling the game.

My mate did a documentary on Larping at uni - didn't know anything about it but thought it would make for an interesting subject. He eventually found people who were willing to participate (obv a lot of larpers don't wanna be put on camera for fear of being ridiculed) and the doc was a really good insight - the people doing it weren't freaks and made really interesting subjects for a documentary - they themselves were quite self depriciating and could see the absurdity of it all.

Anyway back on to wrestling stereotypes - for me football matches have far worse people at them than wrestling shows - for start the young uns who think they are part of a firm and try to start trouble ( the cbeebies is what me and my mates call them) also the fat sweaty, haven't had a shower in months guys, who sit there noting down every stat with a pocket radio glued to their ears listening out for other results instead of enjoying the match and lastly those who just sit there slagging off the team over and over and over - yes i get you think there crap you don't need to constantly remind me! This all applys to my beloved Sheff Utd but i imagine its just the same at other clubs.

As a matter of fact, Id say about 2 thirds of this board are people Id never associate myself with. I would never forcibly get myself involved in "the business" (if you can call it that in the UK) just so I could brag about my insider's knowledge, I would never buy a kids toy of my favourite wrestler, a Ric Flair robe and I wouldnt be caught dead wearing a fucking replica belt for the fact I don't waste my time and money on kids toys and playing dress up. Maybe if it was halloween, 1996 or somones birthday I suppose.

I don 't talk about wrestling with my friends because none of them like it, and the few that do occasionally watch I won't expect them to high five me for making Miz references, or sit and have in depth discussions about about how we would book wrestlemania, because its all geeky as fuck things to do. I'd rather not have anyone to talk about it with than be associated with any of the number of disgusting greasy emo-fags/metal heads who go about wearing DX t shirts.

I have a feeling that you actually look something like this most likely;

Emo-Hairstyles-Tips-For-Men-2.jpg

As a matter of fact, Id say about 2 thirds of this board are people Id never associate myself with. I would never forcibly get myself involved in "the business" (if you can call it that in the UK) just so I could brag about my insider's knowledge, I would never buy a kids toy of my favourite wrestler, a Ric Flair robe and I wouldnt be caught dead wearing a fucking replica belt for the fact I don't waste my time and money on kids toys and playing dress up. Maybe if it was halloween, 1996 or somones birthday I suppose.

I don 't talk about wrestling with my friends because none of them like it, and the few that do occasionally watch I won't expect them to high five me for making Miz references, or sit and have in depth discussions about about how we would book wrestlemania, because its all geeky as fuck things to do. I'd rather not have anyone to talk about it with than be associated with any of the number of disgusting greasy emo-fags/metal heads who go about wearing DX t shirts.

I have a feeling that you actually look something like this most likely;

Emo-Hairstyles-Tips-For-Men-2.jpg

Nah, but I think thats what the majority of this forum looks like. Wrestling nerds are on par with any other people who are ridiculously into there geeky shit, ie. anime fans, metal heads, etc

Anyway back on to wrestling stereotypes - for me football matches have far worse people at them than wrestling shows - for start the young uns who think they are part of a firm and try to start trouble ( the cbeebies is what me and my mates call them) also the fat sweaty, haven't had a shower in months guys, who sit there noting down every stat with a pocket radio glued to their ears listening out for other results instead of enjoying the match and lastly those who just sit there slagging off the team over and over and over - yes i get you think there crap you don't need to constantly remind me! This all applys to my beloved Sheff Utd but i imagine its just the same at other clubs.

You do get the kids thinking they are bad arse firm members at Barrow AFC. Don

you see the type at the toon match all looking like they come straight out of the set of green street pointless really. Most of them look like the types that would run away from trouble then start it haha.

Ive never had a wrestling t shirt only the Cena Spinner belt and i didnt really pay for that. I dont actually own any wrestling tapes or dvds but i have watched wrestling since i was like 3 think it was wm 3 or something like that it was 1986 i know that much (interestingly mate who hasnt liked wrestling from about 1999 has got like two black bags fullof old ppvs he wont thrown them out). To me the average wrestling fan is someone with a job lots of spare time a lot of collectors stuff maybe a fb and twitter account full of wrestlers a understanding other half cos no doubt they will get dragged to any kind of wrestling event.

LARPing (Live Action Role Playing) takes it one step further in that not only do you dress up as a character you actually act in role. Most of the characters are made by the players themselves and then groups of players interact with each other for hours at a time, reacting to situations they are given by those controlling the game.

My mate did a documentary on Larping at uni - didn't know anything about it but thought it would make for an interesting subject. He eventually found people who were willing to participate (obv a lot of larpers don't wanna be put on camera for fear of being ridiculed) and the doc was a really good insight - the people doing it weren't freaks and made really interesting subjects for a documentary - they themselves were quite self depriciating and could see the absurdity of it all.

oink oink :)

Trades description act - enjoying matches and Bramhall lane are not allowed in same sentence.

Mind you we are no better at other side of the city

It's an aside, but I've noticed a proliferation of 'the 40 yr old mark' who goes crazy at the WWE/TNA house shows I've been to and more often than not is accompanied by his bewildered pre teen charge. Nice business if you can get it since they buy up multiple tickets at a time.

• Paid Members
It's an aside, but I've noticed a proliferation of 'the 40 yr old mark' who goes crazy at the WWE/TNA house shows I've been to and more often than not is accompanied by his bewildered pre teen charge. Nice business if you can get it since they buy up multiple tickets at a time.

Want to make people feel old?

That's your older attitude era fans. The ones who were in their mid-late twenties when Stone Cold kicked off.

I've never been to a WWE/TNA show, but the few times I've got to a BritWres show the fans have been split between families who are treating their kids to a cheap night out, and greasy long-haired cunts who smell. It's as though they all look up to Paul Heyman as a fashion icon. I feel I stick out as somebody who is more 'smart-casual' than the majority of the crowd...and by smart-casual, I mean better dressed and more well groomed.

It shouldn't be socially accepted to wear football shirts either. They tend to be scum.

Nonsense. Load of bollocks mate.

Want to make people feel old?

That's your older attitude era fans. The ones who were in their mid-late twenties when Stone Cold kicked off.

Not trying to make folks feel old. It's pretty much acceptable to take your dad or your son to the football or rugby and I don't honestly see why wrestling should be any different. That and I'll be a 40 year old smart soon enough.

Archived