The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

And the fat smelly bastard in the wrestling t-shirt behind us spent the whole show shouting out the wrestlers' real names and making clever insider references. He was a massive cock, and some father there with his son had to ask him quite forcefully to shut the f**k up as he was spoiling the whole show for everyone around him. I imagine he posts here; whenever I'm arguing with some fapper on here I imagine that it's him.

Happened to me last year at the Smackdown tapings, these two nutters sitting behind me kept on shouting out "K Kwik" at R Truth. I'm far from a fan of him and his matches stink, but they were really getting on my nerves.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The few I know that are wrestling fans are all fairly normal people. I know a fair few people that like wrestling and are well dressed and in cool local bands or involved in media/graphic design. Seems to attract creative types, although that may do with the company I keep. I only watch wrestling on the telly and never attend live events though.

Actually thinking about it, there is one guy that I used to see at my old local before it closed down. He was your 'typical' fan. Always wore TNA related t-shirts (usually always Beer Money), had long dirty blonde/ginger hair in a ponytail, chubby, seemed to enjoy speaking really loudly about geeky shit too. So they're out there.

• Paid Members

i went to a WWE house show a few years ago and to be honest the crowd seemed pretty normal, i guess it's the indy shows where the real fucking annoying twats come out of their holes.

It sounds like there's a few people not comfortable with themselves. So what if someone is talking about something in a bar that they like? So what if they're wearing a wrestling related t-shirt? At least he's not gone out and bought one affliction shirt and therefore thinks he's tough.

All my best friends are wrestling fans so we talk openly about wrestling when we go out, we also talk about football, music, work and the general happenings in our lives. I'm not going to monitor what subjects me and my friends talk about just incase some snob nearby overhears us and thinks less of us. I really couldn't care less. And for the record we are all clean, well groomed people.. no one bigger than chubby either ;)

On the other side of it, we've actually made new friends because they've seen a wrestling related shirt or they've overheard us. When the majority of people spend their time talking about the X-Factor, The Only Way Is Essex, Coronation Street, Eastenders & Hollyoaks i'm not going to be embarrassed about what I watch. If people see my lip ring and my fringe and judge me for it, that's their problem. If people overhear me talking about wrestling and judge me, still their problem.

There's a chap who was at the IPW shows I went to, ginger fella, very tall lad, bad personal hygiene clearly border line retarded and his face looks like it's beeen put togehter in a rush.

When I think of the stereotypical wrestling fan you wouldn't want anyone to know you've ever interacted with, I think of him.

• Paid Members

I always thought the stereotype was somewhat of an exaggeration, and then I went to a couple indy shows. For the most part its bang on.

Have been to one Smackdown show and the crowd was a much more eclectic mix, most likely down to WWE being mainstream.

Why do people bring replica belts to shows? I've never been able to figure that one out.

Same here. If anyone reading this does it or has done it, what was the idea behind it?

I've done it, and it was to look cool.

Like has been mentioned earlier, I sometimes think its some fans themselves who aren't totally comfortable with watching wrestling in public and therefore find people who do, especially those who are really enthusiastic about it, a little bit weird. I think its sometimes the subject matter that bothers people, even some fans, rather than the people who watch it. I'm sure if you went to a football match you'd get some similar people watching its just that its socially acceptable to watch football unlike wrestling sometimes.

Been to TNA Impact Zone twice, both times it was fairly geeky/smark heavy but they were decent folk from what I saw (luckily didnt speak to any).

Not sure if any of them stank cos I dont have a sense of smell but it was a hot june in orlando so I guess u can work that out and 2nd time I went it was raining before hand so Im sure they smelt like wet dog.

Not sure if there is sterotypes as such, to me theres no difference in a wearing a wrestling shirt (or affliction) than a football strip or any other sport and I feel no shame in being a wrestling fan Im a mark and have been for about 22yrs or something,

I wouldnt see someone wearing football strip and 'think look at him he watches football', and some of the strips are gaudier than some wrestling ones but each to there own I guess.

I guess wrestling fans wearing belts is the same a football or american sport fans painting there faces and wearing no tshirts they're the 'hardcore fans'.

Not sure if there is sterotypes as such, to me theres no difference in a wearing a wrestling shirt (or affliction) than a football strip or any other sport and I feel no shame in being a wrestling fan Im a mark and have been for about 22yrs or something,

I think there is a difference to a lot of people hence why some wouldn't be comfortable wearing a wrestling shirt in public. Kinda sad but true.

• Moderators
And the fat smelly bastard in the wrestling t-shirt behind us spent the whole show shouting out the wrestlers' real names and making clever insider references. He was a massive cock, and some father there with his son had to ask him quite forcefully to shut the f**k up as he was spoiling the whole show for everyone around him. I imagine he posts here; whenever I'm arguing with some fapper on here I imagine that it's him.

Happened to me last year at the Smackdown tapings, these two nutters sitting behind me kept on shouting out "K Kwik" at R Truth. I'm far from a fan of him and his matches stink, but they were really getting on my nerves.

Haha.. that's just reminded me of something. I was at one of those supershows they did in Coventry - Uprising, or the other one, I forget. There was some fat miserable Welshman sat in front of me who seemed to revel in hating everything he saw. My favourite lines he came out with to describe some dark match jobber types were "he's hardly Misawa" and "that DDT was worse than cancer".

He didn't even come back for the second half after the interval*.

I imagine that was Moj who posts on here.

Sour and humourless, and seemingly there just to complain. If you're a dirty metaller with poor social skills but you're enjoying the show then fair enough - but people like that I really wonder why they even bother.

Another piece of anecdotal evidence when I think of 'typical' wrestling fans - I used to regularly attend IPW shows in Orpington. Some of the smarky kids could be a bit annoying at times, and certainly fit the 'metal t-shirt wearing' sterotype, but they were far less disgusting and weird than the Kent locals who brought their kids to the shows. There was this one morbidly obese family who used to attend regularly that we nicknamed The Pachyderms. Urgh.. I kinda shudder just thinking about them.

* or left to sit somewhere else because we were drunk, maybe..

I remember going to a show in my hometown in around 1998 (I think!) as my best mate wrestles and at that time was doing alot of shows around the country (I, in my time, have MC'd, been a ref etc.) and he wanted to catch up with a few of the guys to see about possible work.

On the show were The Bushwhackers and afterwards they were doing a signing and up walks this kid who looks like your typical geek - spots, glasses, fucked-up haircut and it looked like he'd stolen his mums credit card ad bought out the WWF merchandise warehouse.

He had this cut off denim jacket with a huge logo on the back, a baseball cap, pendants, all sorts of shit.

He was stood in the queue and all you could hear was him going on and on and on with useless bits of (mainly incorrect) information.

Me and my mate engaged him in conversation and he proceeded to tell us another steaming pile of crap - including how he had the personal e-mails of pretty much every big star and they would e-mail him regularly to ask him opnions of their work etc.

And that to me is what sticks in my craw when I think Wrestling fan!!

I think there is a difference to a lot of people hence why some wouldn't be comfortable wearing a wrestling shirt in public. Kinda sad but true.

It shouldn't be socially accepted to wear football shirts either. They tend to be scum.

Archived