The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

As a casual fan of pro wrestling it makes me laugh sometimes to see the stereotype that get's painted of pro wrestling fans.

Before anyone says, I know that it attracts its fair share of wallopers, but I do think the stereotype is off the mark more times than not.

Thoughts as fellow wrestling fans? Do you fit the stereotype of a wrestling fan? And if so, does it bother you?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As with anything, the ones who make the most noise about it are the ones most people will get their image of a wrestling fan from.

I'm just gone 30, and I know several top lads my age and in their 20s who love wrestling. Thing is, if you weren't mates with them already, you wouldn't know they were wrestling fans because they don't bumble awkwardly about town in t-shirts with a bright yellow 'Nexus' logo on them, recite catchphrases as loudly as possible whenever they're at a pub or bring it up in conversation as soon as humanly possible at a social gathering.

Despite knowing these people, I still have a stereotype in my head when you ask the question. It's pretty much the same as my stereotype of the typical (or most conspicuous type of) metal or sci-fi fan or gaming nerd - fat, lank hair, most expensive item of clothing is their DX t-shirt, live with their mams and work in HMV or Game. Personally, I'd never go near a Britwres show or ESPECIALLY the likes of the 'Wrestlemania parties' in bars that have been discussed on here recently, primarily because of a crippling fear of being surrounded by and consequently associated with the types I've described above.

I've only ever gone to one wrestling show in my time. It was a Smackdown house show in Dublin back in 2005. Was fun, but I did find myself repeatedly distracted by an awful lot of strange looking people. Why do people bring replica belts to shows? I've never been able to figure that one out.

As for the thread title, what defines an average fan? Personally speaking I have a bigger problem with the Shimmer brigade, especially the likes of SBA. "Creepy" doesn't even begin to describe it.

I would have said no, until I went to a TNA house show last year, then my opinion was changed dramatically. I took a mate who isn't particularly into wrestling and was quite embarrassed by some of the people we were surrounded by. The person sat next to my mate stank. WWE shows I have attended though have had less of these types of people.

Although I do think there is a difference between the types of people who attend live shows and those that just follow on TV.

• Moderators

Long leather jackets are the worst. Everyone who owns a long leather jacket is a total dickhead. I was at a Guvnor show in Wrexham a few years back and there was this man there with a long leather jacket, and a grey and greasy fucking rat-tail hair cut, and he had black gaffer tape on his shitty coat, to cover a rip I'd imagine. He was stood at the bar by me and he fucking stank as well. That horrid stench of BO covered with cheap Lynx. That's the absolute worst kind of wrestling fan.

simpsons-comic-book-guy.jpg

I think the stereotype is a little off the mark. I've been to several WWE shows over the years and for the most part people seemed normal (whatever that means). You wouldn't look at them and say they were your typical wrestling fan.

A big WWE Raw tv taping in London is always going to be different though isn't it. So obviously the stereotype wouldn't work as such.

Regarding myself. I wouldn't say I was a typical fan. Maybe a bit socially awkward at times. But that's mostly with people I don't know very well.

I dunno, i'd rather be a fat moronic geek who gets excited about wrestling than a miserable smark who is too busy complaining and rating matches to actually enjoy any of the product.

Thankfully, I think i'm somewhere in the middle ;)

The wrestling stereotype is so redundant. How many of you lot actually have long, greasy hair and wear CM Punk t-shirts everyday? Every single wrestling show I've been to (except at the Impact zone) has had a number of different "styles" of people, ranging from the trenchcoat wearers to Calvin Klein models. I say except the Impact Zone because the majority of the crowd there are exactly the same as they come off on TV.

• Paid Members
I say except the Impact Zone because the majority of the crowd there are exactly the same as they come off on TV.

You say that, but the ironic thing is most of the Impact Zone crowd arent wrestling fans, let alone stereotypicial wrestling fans. They are holiday makers who dont know who anyone is. Thats why you see Sunderland shirts and occassionally nice looking women holding a bottle in their hand.

• Paid Members

Who gives a toss to be honest? If it upsets you, then it's your problem not theres.

For example, when I think of the stereotypical Coronation Street viewer, I think of a old woman in glasses. If every one else who watches Corrie that doesn't fit that description gets upset about that mental image I have, then that's their problem and not mine.

• Paid Members
Why do people bring replica belts to shows? I've never been able to figure that one out.

Same here. If anyone reading this does it or has done it, what was the idea behind it?

Never done that. Can't imagine why anyone would want to. I actually laid into my mate for wearing a replica World Heavyweight Championship belt when we bumped into him at last years Smackdown show in Aberdeen. He's a grown man with a wife and a child too. His excuse was that it's the only chance he'll have to wear it.

Didn't Meltzer go on a bit of a rant a few months ago about this? Something to do with Tim Sylvia wearing his belt around the hotel?

Archived