The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

Who gives a toss to be honest? If it upsets you, then it's your problem not theres.

For example, when I think of the stereotypical Coronation Street viewer, I think of a old woman in glasses. If every one else who watches Corrie that doesn't fit that description gets upset about that mental image I have, then that's their problem and not mine.

Except you're not worrying that if you sit down to watch Corrie, you're going to turn around to find an old woman smelling of mothballs and rich tea biscuits sat next to you...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Who gives a toss to be honest? If it upsets you, then it's your problem not theres.

For example, when I think of the stereotypical Coronation Street viewer, I think of a old woman in glasses. If every one else who watches Corrie that doesn't fit that description gets upset about that mental image I have, then that's their problem and not mine.

Except you're not worrying that if you sit down to watch Corrie, you're going to turn around to find an old woman smelling of mothballs and rich tea biscuits sat next to you...

Covered in crumbs and with fingers covered in that orange stuff that comes off of wotsits.

Didn't Meltzer go on a bit of a rant a few months ago about this? Something to do with Tim Sylvia wearing his belt around the hotel?

Meltzer is just gutted that all his title belts are replica and will never win anything like that. If I was a champion in the UFC I'd wear that belt everywhere, who gives a fuck if people hate you for it.

Don't see the problem myself with fans bringing replica belts to shows. I'd liken it to clearly trying to look a bit like a Gallagher at an Oasis gig, or the scores of grown men balancing frames off their faces that you see at Morrissey concerts. I can't bring myself to shit on the concept of fans being a little daft and having fun on behalf of something that makes them happy in life that they have great passion for. They could be devouring celebrity gossip in fucking Heat magazine or something and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Anyway about the stereotype thing : Stereotypes exists in everything, generic argument etc however I think one thing WWE have successfully done in recent years that they were clearly intent on getting nailed was changing the make up of the live crowds. Of course the stereotypes still permeate the stalls and stalk the aisles of the arenas in great numbers but in addition to all the kids who show up to Raw these days you also seemingly have the kids dads, the kids dads mate and the mates mate who brought his girlfriend because she fancies John Cena.

Consequently the crowds suck as a result but hey, swings and roundabouts. Presumably they smell far cleaner.

• Paid Members
I'd never go near a Britwres show or ESPECIALLY the likes of the 'Wrestlemania parties' in bars that have been discussed on here recently, primarily because of a crippling fear of being surrounded by and consequently associated with the types I've described above.

My flat mate got me a ticket to watch Wrestlemania at The Adelphi in Preston and that's definitely my biggest fear going into it. From my experiences, the stereotype is definitely deserved.

The stereotypical wrestling fan to me is someone like that Faith No More Guy, which I don't mind because I think he looks pretty cool for some reason. But I think the general image to a non fan of a big wrestling fan is a fat greasy long haired looser who's into heavy metal music and wears all black, and I pretty much fit that except I have haircut's regularly and am very clean. I never talk about it to people I know, unless they rarely bring it up, even then I pretend I don't know that much, and try to sound casual.

I got no problem telling people i watch wrestling there is worse things to be watching. I had a replica belt I got it from a mate instead of the 100 quid he owed me. Everyone laughed at me for having it but when they saw it first thing they say is can i wear it

At the TNA house show I went to a couple of years ago, there WERE some normal people there, but the vast majority were leather wearing, metal t-shirt clad, BO and Lynx-smelling Paul Heyman lookalikes, complete with ratty ponytail and acne.

The place stank, I mean really stank.

And the fat smelly bastard in the wrestling t-shirt behind us spent the whole show shouting out the wrestlers' real names and making clever insider references. He was a massive cock, and some father there with his son had to ask him quite forcefully to shut the f**k up as he was spoiling the whole show for everyone around him. I imagine he posts here; whenever I'm arguing with some fapper on here I imagine that it's him.

The whole replica belt thing - at a WWE show quite a few years ago, a couple of lads had come dressed as Hogan and Flair respectively. They had belts on, and it made sense, as they were dressing up and having a laugh. Anyone else, though, it just looks incredibly sad.

Archived