The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

When it boils down to it, WWE's television product primarily targets younger viewers. Football is a sport which is socially accepted by people of all walks of life, regardless of their nationality, gender or age and that's why you won't be ridiculed for wearing a footy shirt in the street or at a game. If you're British, chances are that you've been raised to believe that wrestling is that fake, poncey, over-the-top shit that Hulk Hogan is famous for. Go to Mexico or Japan and you won't be met with this attitude. There's a big difference between football and wrestling; in this country the popular belief is that wrestling really is only targeted towards kid, and that's why you'll be asked the classic "Aren't you too old for wrestling?" line. In the grand scheme of things, wearing a wrestling shirt in public in this country is akin to wearing a Pokemon shirt.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Not sure if there is sterotypes as such, to me theres no difference in a wearing a wrestling shirt (or affliction) than a football strip or any other sport and I feel no shame in being a wrestling fan Im a mark and have been for about 22yrs or something,

I think there is a difference to a lot of people hence why some wouldn't be comfortable wearing a wrestling shirt in public. Kinda sad but true.

It shouldn't be socially accepted to wear football shirts either. They tend to be scum.

You're in no Shape to make that call.

Would this topic be open to discuss delusional fans? What I mean us fans that have themselves believe they are involved in the business or have connections within the business and get inside info?

• Paid Members
Would this topic be open to discuss delusional fans? What I mean us fans that have themselves believe they are involved in the business or have connections within the business and get inside info?

Yeah, I'm sure you will end up being discussed at some point.

Yeah, I'm sure you will end up being discussed at some point.

:laugh:

When you say "us" are you including yourself in that? I know that wearing replica belts to live shows is frowned upon, but surely wearing a Vince McMahon style suit to the PPV screenings you used to do is just as bad? ;)

Not sure if there is sterotypes as such, to me theres no difference in a wearing a wrestling shirt (or affliction) than a football strip or any other sport and I feel no shame in being a wrestling fan Im a mark and have been for about 22yrs or something,

I think there is a difference to a lot of people hence why some wouldn't be comfortable wearing a wrestling shirt in public. Kinda sad but true.

It shouldn't be socially accepted to wear football shirts either. They tend to be scum.

I am and I have made that exact call.

• Paid Members

Well, if that's the way you want to Yoplait it, fine.

It sounds like there's a few people not comfortable with themselves. So what if someone is talking about something in a bar that they like? So what if they're wearing a wrestling related t-shirt? At least he's not gone out and bought one affliction shirt and therefore thinks he's tough.

All my best friends are wrestling fans so we talk openly about wrestling when we go out, we also talk about football, music, work and the general happenings in our lives. I'm not going to monitor what subjects me and my friends talk about just incase some snob nearby overhears us and thinks less of us. I really couldn't care less. And for the record we are all clean, well groomed people.. no one bigger than chubby either ;)

Of course there's nothing wrong with talking with your mates about wrestling. But there's a difference between that and really loudly and obnoxiously doing catchphrases and using smark terms (these generally tend to be the sort of of dickheads who also say things like 'PWNED!' and 'EPIC FAIL!' in everyday conversation) so the whole pub can hear you, or making a point of bringing wrestling up in conversation everytime you meet a new person who's probably not a fan. That's not about 'being comfortable with yourself', that's about having limited conversational skills and no consideration for the person you're talking to.

On the subject of wrestling t-shirts, it depends where you're wearing them. If you're wearing them for a few cans round your mates house or a kickabout in the park, fine (I myself will be getting the 'Team Bring It' vest out of mothballs for the gym this weekend). If you're wearing it to the pub, then you're a scruffy bastard who nobody will think about inviting anywhere smart, and I'd say the same about anyone wearing a football shirt to the pub too.

Well, if that's the way you want to Yoplait it, fine.

You're on a slippery slope here, so you might want to grab some Skis before he gives you a Mullering.

Good comeback, you certainly put him in the Corner.

Archived