The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ideally if you're a girl at a britwres show you should at least have those 'jeff hardy' lacey glove things on. You're just not trying otherwise.

I feel like i've let you down v_v But fan girls can be cute, well perhaps below the age of thirteen, then just... No.

Females are not exempt! There used to be this right gaggle of oddballs at FWA shows that were unhealthily obsessed with some of the guys on the shows... Let me ask you, do you intend to develop this level of fandom? Should you start attending Britwres shows, are you going to be bringing cards and flowers for certain grapplers?

I'd say the 'cute fan girls' mentioned earlier in my post evolve into this kind of monstrosity, if they're not careful. I was considering making a sign for Smackdown, something horribly tacky like 'Spear Me', but then I decided i'd try and salvage what little dignity I have left. And when your hobbies include wrestling, LARP and cosplay, there ain't a whole lot left.

Females are not exempt! There used to be this right gaggle of oddballs at FWA shows that were unhealthily obsessed with some of the guys on the shows... Let me ask you, do you intend to develop this level of fandom? Should you start attending Britwres shows, are you going to be bringing cards and flowers for certain grapplers?

I'd say the 'cute fan girls' mentioned earlier in my post evolve into this kind of monstrosity, if they're not careful. I was considering making a sign for Smackdown, something horribly tacky like 'Spear Me', but then I decided i'd try and salvage what little dignity I have left. And when your hobbies include wrestling, LARP and cosplay, there ain't a whole lot left.

I'm going to the Raw tapings in a few weeks, I was gonna make a sign but it does seem a bit tacky and embarrassing to me. It's gonna be bad enough walking and getting trains though South London on the way home wearing a WWE T Shirt, but at least it will be pitch black. But to carry a big sheet of card with wrestling talk on it all day in Greenwich, in broad day light? I don't think I will bother. It really is an embarrassing situation, being a wrestling fan :(

I dont get why people are saying wrestling is there dirty secret.

Questions along the lines of "Aren't you too old for it?", "You do realise it's fake/gay?", "You actually watch two grown men in pants dancing around a ring?" are just some of the many common conundrums that are thrown at most wrestling fans. Being a wrestling fan or a member of the UKFF is hardly something I'd put on my CV or bring up in conversation when meeting a girlfriend's parents for the first time. Like I said in an earlier post, wrestling is primarily a product that is aimed at children, no two ways about it. To be an avid fan when you're a fully-grown bloke isn't the coolest thing you can achieve.

I might watch Robot Wars on the sly but you wouldn't catch my in a Sgt. Bash t-shirt or asking miss blondie I've just met at the bar whether she thought Razor was better than Hypno Disc. Besides, there are worse dirty secrets to be had than being a wrestling fan.

I'm going to the Raw tapings in a few weeks, I was gonna make a sign but it does seem a bit tacky and embarrassing to me. It's gonna be bad enough walking and getting trains though South London on the way home wearing a WWE T Shirt, but at least it will be pitch black. But to carry a big sheet of card with wrestling talk on it all day in Greenwich, in broad day light? I don't think I will bother. It really is an embarrassing situation, being a wrestling fan :(

Uh oh... :blush: I will admit to having made/used signs but only for BritWres shows, not for WWE or TNA.

It's gonna be bad enough walking and getting trains though South London on the way home wearing a WWE T Shirt

To be honest, unless you're wearing a stupidly obvious t-shirt like a Cena, Triple H, Undertaker one for example, if random people in the street notice you're wearing a wrestling t-shirt then they must have watched it recently themselves.

Christ lads some of your mates sound like a right pack of wankers. I can honestly say hand on heart that I've gone to pubs wearing wrestling T-Shirts discussing wrestling with all my friends and I've never had much of a problem with them. Most of whom are not into it but are still interested in it's goings on or know the general landscape of the WWE at any one point in time. It's no worse than discussing Fallout or COD with your mates which plenty of people probably do.

And most of these mates aren't exactly geeks either. Nor do they conform to stereotypes. They are just a genuinly decent bunch of home boys who take nothing too seriously and thus get why a grown adult would be into wrestling. Women don't give a shit either. At worst they will find it slightly odd, but they don't make crux decisions on who to get a taxi home with based on such trivial things in my experience. They've probably already made their minds up once they have spoken a bit with you. I can't imagine very many decent girls backing out of the contract when your mate turns around and asks you for a loan of your Backlash tape. If she does back out then fuck it, and fuck her.

I've a mate who is into plane spotting. Plane spotting. Maybe he has just stolen my heat or something, I don't know.

Uh oh... :blush: I will admit to having made/used signs but only for BritWres shows, not for WWE or TNA.

Sorry, but you made a sign to take to a British wrestling show?

Yes, I admit to that.

Christ lads some of your mates sound like a right pack of wankers.

And most of these mates aren't exactly geeks either..

I've a mate who is into plane spotting. Plane spotting.

ronsimmons.jpg

Edit: Re: JJsGirl - What did the sign say and which event did you take it to? I'm not taking the piss, I'm just curious.

SuperCena, so far I've made up signs reading "Grange 4 Champ", "Let's Go Wild" and "The Bronze Label" and I take them along to ICW (Insane Championship Wrestling - www.insanewrestling.co.uk) which is my local show.

• Paid Members
And when your hobbies include wrestling, LARP and cosplay, there ain't a whole lot left.

Pardon the ignorance but what is LARP and cosplay?

Cosplay is dressing up as something, like a jap cartoon or batman or Mario or something similar, to a meeting/show/expo I believe. Some people put some real effort into it from what I have seen.

Cosplay is short for costume play; essentially it is when fans (or let's face it, geeks) dress up as their favourite characters from TV shows/ films/ comics and attend conventions where everyone shows off their outfits. If done well it can actually look really good, if not then, well it's pretty diabolical, like so;

yoko_cosplay_fail.jpg

LARPing (Live Action Role Playing) takes it one step further in that not only do you dress up as a character you actually act in role. Most of the characters are made by the players themselves and then groups of players interact with each other for hours at a time, reacting to situations they are given by those controlling the game.

Yup, pretty lame.

Archived