The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got the pic of the annoying couple who go to shows in this country, they both think they are ultra insider and shout abuse at the wrestlers all the time. I saw them at the 1PW show with RVD.He's about 22 stone, butt ugly and stank.

No hang on, that was her, her wings were more bingo than Mecca

Both of them massive but summed up wrestling fans to me.

Personally i'm not an adonis and dont own a leather trenchcoat. I just get drunk :)

But to me indy wrestling fan checklist

Male

Lives with his mum

Wears black or a wrestling t-shirt that used to be black but is now grey and 2 sizes too small

Has hair either in ponytail or bald

Only woman he talks to is his mum or the girl in Greggs

Thinks Lynx aftershave is cool

Owns a replica belt and practises striking poses in it in front of the mirror

Can recite every USWA Southern champion

I like to think of the 'average' wrestling fan as your standard hick; originating from some Southern State, named something like Dwayne. He would be sporting a fully intact mullet, because where he comes from, the mullet has never left the height of fashion. He would also be wearing a wifebeater vest and be drinking beer from a red cup.

Ok, so it's a little bit of a stereotype and i'm probably not giving my fellow wrestling fans the credit they deserve. But that's what my mind conjures up when I think about American fans, with British ones I have no idea, but i'm sure i'll find out when I see my first live WWE match in a few weeks time. Somehow I doubt i'm not your 'average' fan; small and female.

But deep down, I know i'm just as much a wrestling geek as those overweight, sweaty, glassed gentlemen you're talking about, just not as arrogant I hope!

5 pages in and not one person thinks they fit the stereotype on the countries biggest wrestling forum.

Nobody is admitting it.

A lot of people are in agreement on a similar stereotype appearance, and I predict some of the people disputing that may actually have one or more of those characteristics.

Not judging, just saying. :thumbsup:

Id say in the north east we must be a bit lucky you do get the odd one or two in leather jackets and wrestling tees but mainly its your normal person off the streets with there kids a lot of adults recently as well at the shows i seen iwf crw news groups of lads what i call trendys they wear them stupid tea cosy hats and them stupid military boots. I do remember at a recent crw show was this guy in the worst Hawaiian shirt i ever seen also had a bandanna and a pony tail was just been a dick pretending he know what was happing in the ring and shittin on everything and he hit on of the wrestlers cos they squirted him with water. He did wait till the wrestlers back was turned thou

5 pages in and not one person thinks they fit the stereotype on the countries biggest wrestling forum.

Nobody is admitting it.

A lot of people are in agreement on a similar stereotype appearance, and I predict some of the people disputing that may actually have one or more of those characteristics.

Not judging, just saying. :thumbsup:

I'd say the pictures thread and the 'what clothes do you wear' thread are probably a pretty fair way to work out who's lying, in that case.

• Moderators
Ok, so it's a little bit of a stereotype and i'm probably not giving my fellow wrestling fans the credit they deserve. But that's what my mind conjures up when I think about American fans, with British ones I have no idea, but i'm sure i'll find out when I see my first live WWE match in a few weeks time. Somehow I doubt i'm not your 'average' fan; small and female.

But deep down, I know i'm just as much a wrestling geek as those overweight, sweaty, glassed gentlemen you're talking about, just not as arrogant I hope!

Females are not exempt! There used to be this right gaggle of oddballs at FWA shows that were unhealthily obsessed with some of the guys on the shows... Let me ask you, do you intend to develop this level of fandom? Should you start attending Britwres shows, are you going to be bringing cards and flowers for certain grapplers?

The average wrestling fan looks like Mark Sloane and smells like The UK Pitbulls. They use phrases like "me and the wife" when we all know that the only girl they'll ever interact with in any way is whatever grimey skank the FWA: Academy is currently touting as the best in Europe.

:laugh::thumbsup:

As for myself I fit the "look" in some way with the long hair (and ginger) but that goes back to before I was even a wrestling fan.

Never even attended a wrestling show though me and my mate (who does not look the type at all) have considered going to see the WWE live at some point.

I went to a 1PW show and the sheer amount of people fitting this is just frightening, I imagine they make up a very small populace but the concentration was frightening. In my never less than smart casual+ nature I felt my nice dress shirt soaked up some kind of whiff that I'm sure would ward off even the worst soul eaters.

Every stereotype has a bit of truth in it somewhere or it wouldn't exist in the first place but generally, I don't think its a fair assessment. Most of the people I've seen at wrestling shows seem normal but then again, I don't attend that many BritWres shows so I don't know what sort of crowd go there.

I wouldn't have thought that I would fit into the "stereotype" of a wrestling fan. Although I think most of the stereotype relates to americans as they take things way too seriously at times. Would have thought the Brit fans wouldn't be as bad. Although there were sum idiots at the WWE house show in liverpool a couple of years back who were throwing coins and swearing all the time but the funniest thing was they were kids!! I blame cena for it lol.

When the majority of people spend their time talking about the X-Factor, The Only Way Is Essex, Coronation Street, Eastenders & Hollyoaks i'm not going to be embarrassed about what I watch.

Bang on the money with this one, as there as some really crappier sterotypes to fall into and they are the people who watch those shows. I'd rather be labelled as a wrestling fan sterotype than to watch something like jeremy kyle!!

• Moderators
I went to a 1PW show and the sheer amount of people fitting this is just frightening, I imagine they make up a very small populace but the concentration was frightening. In my never less than smart casual+ nature I felt my nice dress shirt soaked up some kind of whiff that I'm sure would ward off even the worst soul eaters.

I hate the term "smart casual".. it conjures up mental images of people in Dockers with dark coloured shirts tucked in at the waist.

It doesn't look smart, and they don't look comfortable so it doesn't look casual either. Just makes you look like an idiot with no sense of style.... I assume this look is not what you mean when you say smart casual though.

Archived