The Average Wrestling Fan - Is The Stereotype Warranted?

David

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't appeal to the anti-sucking crowd

Do you have any idea how much of a knob jockey you've sounded with posts like this? To open an account just to post nonsense like this is pretty sad mate. Why don't you go down the pub and try to find a woman?

Well I never really cared who knew I was a wrestling fan when I was at school or college, it was actually some guys I used to hang around with in primary school who got me interested in it. Then when I was at high school and the wrestling craze started watering down and people said they didn't watch it anymore or said it wasn't cool I'd still openly talk about it with people or wear a wrestling shirt on own clothes day.

When I was at uni I started not to talk as openly about being a wrestling fan, only a few mates there knew, and I would wear a few wrestling shirts, maybe one or two a little noticable but others were just ones wrestling fans would know about, the type other people would just think were a designed logo or a band shirt.

When I started working I never mentioned it to anyone and sort of keep it to myself now, I don't know why, it's just not something a lot of people are into or it's not something people want others to know they're into so they would probably say they aren't into it and wouldn't talk about it with me anyway. In my last two jobs I don't think anyone knew I watched it and in my current job I just started recently only one girl knows I watch it but that's due to her watching it too and bringing it up in conversation first so the odd time I do see her around we might have a quick chat about something wrestling related. I'm not too bothered if anyone did know I watch it but sometimes I think if you've just started a job it might be something people think is weird or it isn't a good first impression, I'd like to make a name for myself based on my work and personality before someone judges me for watching wrestling.

I suppose in the last few years I have become a little weary of people knowing I'm a wrestling fan. I do like to wear the odd wrestling shirt, ie. Punk's Nexus one or the Top Rope Nexus one but I do get uncomfortable about the WWE Authentic logo thing in the corner. I do still chat about it with people who follow it though, not in a loud obnoxious way but just in the same way we chat about anything in the pub.

I do understand the thing about stereotypes and that might be one of the reasons I feel a little uncomfortable, not due to me thinking these stereotypes are true, I know there are some fans like that but the majority aren't. Anyone who doesn't watch wrestling usually does think that the stereotypical wrestling fan is one of those already mentioned (ie long greasy hair, smells a bit, leather coat, a bit of a nerd) or they think wrestling is for kids and that's why I feel a little weary about openly saying I'm a wrestling fan.

I'm not a closet fan by any means though, I am open about it but I just don't shout it from the rooftops or go around telling everyone unless I know they watch it too, otherwise I think they will think of those sterotypes and that stereotype doesn't fit me at all anyway. I'm not particularly a gamer, not really into metal music anymore, don't dress all in black, have long greasy hair or smell but I do like to look around at news sites, write on this forum and discuss wrestling, which some non-wrestling fans would probably think is quite sad anyway.

Great post :)

I think many of the more...erm... "educated" wrestling fans will have similar stories.

It's funny as once upon a time it was talked about at length and with passion in workplaces up and down the country and got one of the best ratings on TV.

Now everyone is happy to talk constantly about the X Factor & BGT etc and they are the most fake shows on TV but try and have a conversation with a non fan about wrestling and thats the bit people dont seem to be able to get past. Then when you point out Eastenders isn't real people just get snotty and say things like "Of course it isn't real it's a telly program!"

Maybe Vince's thing about calling it Entertainment isn't as daft as it sounds.

With the rise of MMA it's hard to market wrestling as anything other than an entertainment product. Problem is IMHO the stereotype of the average MMA punter is warranted and they are the reason it will probably end up getting banned in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Would it be fair to suggest that a fair percentage of the so-called "nerd" type of wrestling fan could be considered mentally unbalanced?

I've seen a fair few who seem to think it's okay to basically stalk wrestlers (usually female ones) on social networking sites. What do they honestly think they'll get from such behaviour apart from a restraining order and problems getting a job in Pizza Hut?

• Paid Members
Would it be fair to suggest that a fair percentage of the so-called "nerd" type of wrestling fan could be considered mentally unbalanced?

You could say the same about football fans, as some think it's perfectly acceptable to start fights and lob bricks at police officers.

I've seen a fair few who seem to think it's okay to basically stalk wrestlers (usually female ones) on social networking sites. What do they honestly think they'll get from such behaviour apart from a restraining order and problems getting a job in Pizza Hut?

That guy who threatened to bomb Titan Towers in response to Mickie James

You could say the same about football fans, as some think it's perfectly acceptable to start fights and lob bricks at police officers.

Have you been to a football match since the 1980's? That kind of shit rarely happens anymore.

Well former Pizza Hut manager in Yeovil Steven Tovey has had to leave Pizza Hut for taking constant time off in regards to TNA Fan Party, meet and greets and live shows in the USA. He is mega delusional. He keeps telling people when he is over in the states as a paying punter he has stuff to do with the organisation of TNA and it's business affairs in the UK to anyone that will listen to him.

At the London TNA fan party he got to talk with Dixie Carter on the skype call to ask one question but after the party on twitter was acting like he knew her personally and saying stuff like i didnt get much chance to talk at the party can we chat during the week again.

Steven is also trying to segway his way into the group of international fan regulars and is not welcome and still tries to claim he is pals with them all and is part of their group when he is not. The group do not want him there as he is total delusional he has something to do with the running of TNA and won't accept he is just a paying customer like the rest of them.

Archived