Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Slightly more main stream as it was on BBC2 last week but did anyone see the documentary marking 25 years since the Strangeways prison riot in Manchester?

I caught it by pure chance flicking channels and as soon as i saw the images of the guys on the roof i vaguely remembered it from the news as i'd have been about six or seven at the time.

It's pretty well balanced with interviews from the guards involved, the prison governer himself and abou half a dozen of the prisoners including the two main men behind it (who still look scary as hell even as old men a quarter of a century later). Pretty remarkable how they managed to over throw the regime the way they did and in a strange sense you are almost siding with the prisoners and egging them on given how shite their living conditions were and how much abuse they took from the guards and staff.

It's on demand through SKY+ as well as BBC iPlayer if anyone fancies checking it out.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Cool I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

So many things were looking dodgy for Mark - the inconsistencies in his story about losing his teeth, taking a lie detector test whilst on mood altering drugs, his wife dying without an official cause of death, his psycho over the top shouting at the graveside/woods scenes.

Things seem to be pointing towards the Hobbs stepfather now?

Yeah, Byers really did seem a prime candidate. He's just a really over the top, emotional guy who has a few problems, but he's definitely not involved as far as I'm concerned.

It has to be Hobbs for me, and with the evidence they have against him I'm amazed he's still getting away with it. Doesn't look like the case will ever be opened again though.

Edited by sammorgz

• Paid Members

Slightly more main stream as it was on BBC2 last week but did anyone see the documentary marking 25 years since the Strangeways prison riot in Manchester?

I caught it by pure chance flicking channels and as soon as i saw the images of the guys on the roof i vaguely remembered it from the news as i'd have been about six or seven at the time.

It's pretty well balanced with interviews from the guards involved, the prison governer himself and abou half a dozen of the prisoners including the two main men behind it (who still look scary as hell even as old men a quarter of a century later). Pretty remarkable how they managed to over throw the regime the way they did and in a strange sense you are almost siding with the prisoners and egging them on given how shite their living conditions were and how much abuse they took from the guards and staff.

It's on demand through SKY+ as well as BBC iPlayer if anyone fancies checking it out.

Yes, mainly because a guy who was in my class at school was featured and interviewed in it. Should have turned the water cannons on the bastards if you ask me.

Wow, spent this afternoon and evening watching the Paradise Lost trilogy on Youtube. 

I'd only heard about them due to the film's link with Metallica and hadn't read into them beyond that so I didn't know how it was going to end or if one of the boys' parents was going revealed as the killer...Mark Byers was so over the top that it seemed like he was almost certainly involved whilst watching the 2nd film.

Also watched Blackfish, quite a heartbreaking and eye opening film. 

If a film like Blackfish had come out about a theme park over here, there's no way it would still be open.

That bit when one of the Orcas has hold of that trainer's foot and is dragging him around is some scary shit.

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen Cropsey? I got recommended it after watching West of Memphis. There's some awful stuff in that.

For some reason when I watched Cropsey, I was under the impression it was a drama/doc type thing that had been written. I watched it in two parts over two nights, and checked it out in IMDB inbetweener sessions. Chilled me to the bone after that.

Wow, spent this afternoon and evening watching the Paradise Lost trilogy on Youtube. 

I'd only heard about them due to the film's link with Metallica and hadn't read into them beyond that so I didn't know how it was going to end or if one of the boys' parents was going revealed as the killer...Mark Byers was so over the top that it seemed like he was almost certainly involved whilst watching the 2nd film.

Also watched Blackfish, quite a heartbreaking and eye opening film. 

If a film like Blackfish had come out about a theme park over here, there's no way it would still be open.

That bit when one of the Orcas has hold of that trainer's foot and is dragging him around is some scary shit.

Yeah and the lies from the staff to visitors saying it's normal for their fins to curl down and that the average age in the park of 35 years is better than their average life span in the wild. 

Edited by Metallica

• Paid Members

Most terrifying bit after that man's ordeal is when the whale pounces out the water like Jaws trying to rip the legs off him when he is running out the pool. Horrible.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Has anyone seen Cropsey? I got recommended it after watching West of Memphis. There's some awful stuff in that.

For some reason when I watched Cropsey, I was under the impression it was a drama/doc type thing that had been written. I watched it in two parts over two nights, and checked it out in IMDB inbetweener sessions. Chilled me to the bone after that.

Yeah, I think I thought it was like a found-footage horror. I kind of wish it was. The stuff with the patients was awful.

• Paid Members

Just watched Atari: Game Over on Netflix UK. Great fun little doc that could be alternatively titled The Rise and Fall of Atari or The Hunt for E.T.