30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members
I could probably agree with GTA IV if it was highly rated? I know it was hyped to hell before release though, and is the reason I bought a 360. But I never completed it, and I barely played it online either. I liked the characters and the story, but the actual gameplay was rather boring and samey.

I always thought that people did praise it for quite some time after its release, though admittedly the majority of that was probably down to a lot of the hype spilling over into people's conversations about the game. I don't even think that I was still playing it a month after I bought it.

Forgot about GTA:IV thoroughly agree it was a big disappointment. Hyped up for so long, hell I made that little cake at midnight to celebrate release! That was a let down too as I threw it back up because I still had pregnancy sickness. I digress. Anyway, it did have a lot to live up to after San Andreas, but I really didn't expect it to fail at it quite so miserably. I have never completed it either along with a lot of people so that says a lot.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider: Underworld (which is the most recent one I think) are both good games. The 2nd one in particular is loads of fun.

GTA IV is just awful. I bought it when it was first released, and gave up about a month later. Back around Christmas, I thought maybe I was too harsh on it, so gave it another go, and gave up again after about a week this time. And thats from someone who loved the rest of the series.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - The worst of the series by far. Few little cool bits in it and some really cool set pieces, but I think the storyline dragged it to hell along with the total abuse of cut scenes.

Multiplayer was ok and was how i spent the majority of playing time after completing it just once (compared to the hundreds of times i played 1, 2 and 3) but even the multiplayer pales when compared to COD etc.

I'll go with TimeSplitters 2 as a game everyone should play. Multiplayer, stoned and with everything unlocked. It's bliss. I couldn't be arsed thinking of all the games I have played more than five times because I'm awful for replaying games I like. I tend to give them a bash once or twice a year in lieu of having the money to buy any new games. Some that definately stick out though would be :

Final Fantasy VII - IX

Dead Rising 2

Morrowind/Oblivion [you can't 'finish' them but for sheer amount of characters created].

I'm also going to go with GTA IV as the most overrated game ever. It's not even 'good but not great', mind you. It's total shit. It sinks completely a few hours in once the story hits the halfway point and you have done your first couple of ~amazing night time helicopter rides. It's the pits. Any game that necessitates me holding down a button so that my main character can run [not sprint, mind you] in this day and age can fuck right off. The whole thing just feels wrong. Much of the map is too dull on ground level, my character feels too small, and the whole thing gives you this sense that Rockstar have disappeared even further up their own arsehole and want you to play their vision of Liberty City, their way and not your own game.

Sure it's got it's come uppance from a good portion of it's disgruntled former fanbase now but plenty still revere it and the metacritic ratings are scary.

For me lately it's been the Halo series and before that the Metal Gear Solid series. If I were to pick a third from further back in the day I'd have to say Super Mario World. It's good, but it's not as amazing as people make out (people I know anyway, I don't know anyone who doesn't like it).

But then I was always more of a Sonic man so maybe that clouds my judgement.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots396048.jpg

This game makes me so angry, though I suspect it's repressed rage about the whole series. People often talk about the first MGS being a game changer, and at the time it looked like it would be. But what pissed me off was that, having created so much innovative gameplay in that first game, the team then preceded to go off on their own entirely separate little road of game design whilst the rest of the world took what they had come up with, and ran with it to create amazing new games.

The games got progressively weirder, more awkward and repetitive and less playable, culminating with MGS4 which was an utter abomination of a videogame, the apex of self-indulgent artistic expression with absolutely no compromise on playability or appealing to the wider public. Of course, the fanboys liked it, but fanboys like everything without critical consideration. For me, it just seemed like the dead end of a long, dark road through the woods. Videogames should be expansive, not on rails. They should be interactive, not sitting there watching huge cutscenes. We've now had 26 releases of the Metal Gear franchise since the original MGS. Please, no more.

• Paid Members

My Suggestion will probably earn some hate, but it's any Call Of Duty game for me.

I know millions and millions of people love it to death. I have mates that spend their lives playing online deathmatches, but for me, I just can't get into it at all. I played COD 4 and completed the story through determination to see it out. I didn't enjoy it all though.

My opinion obviously.

I loved GTA IV. Not only did I complete it, I completed it twice (for the different endings).

I can see why people had a problem with it (drive here, shoot this. Drive over there, shoot that etc) but visually it's amazing. Great attention to detail, huge playable map, many different people, vehicles and sites. I'm sure this is why some of the story aspect of it lacked but to me it was still an enjoyable and interesting story with some good characters. Just my opinion though.

Alan Wake is the first that springs to mind though. I don't know how I persevered through it. Very samey all the way through, and I just could not care less about the characters. Not to mention the lip sync issues. Just poor all round considering how long it was in the making.

Most over rated for me is pretty much any Sonic game. Grew up in truly in the Nintendo camp and never saw the appeal of running really fast into a load of spikes and dying. Yes I sucked at it, yes it's mainly because it's not Mario, but Sonic was just never for me and I could never get everyone raving about it. The 3D iterations are beyond awful. I did get a Megadrive after a while and did play Sonic every now and then, but it's just never clicked with me.

Super Mario 64 is my most overrated game

It's Mario in 3d, big whoopdees! The camera angle is shit, Mario controls like a dead slug on skis, Awful grindfest/star collection masquerading as game play the whole thing really irritates. The Story is about Peach baking a cake and getting kidnapped again the dozy mare, and Mario yet again to the mofoing rescue. He isnt getting any and should really give the fuck up with the annoying cock tease

Hyped as the best thing since slice bread it's nothing more than at best an average platformer, things that would piss players off and annoy on other games are over looked because of the gushing praise layered upon it by those who want to arselick Myamoto's and Nintendo praising it to high heaven because its de rigeur. Basically a wrong 'un at every step of the way..

"Its a me Mario!" Fuck Off Mario, Fuck off and burn in hell.

• Paid Members
Super Mario 64 is my most overrated game

It's Mario in 3d, big whoopdees! The camera angle is shit, Mario controls like a dead slug on skis, Awful grindfest/star collection masquerading as game play the whole thing really irritates. The Story is about Peach baking a cake and getting kidnapped again the dozy mare, and Mario yet again to the mofoing rescue. He isnt getting any and should really give the fuck up with the annoying cock tease

Hyped as the best thing since slice bread it's nothing more than at best an average platformer, things that would piss players off and annoy on other games are over looked because of the gushing praise layered upon it by those who want to arselick Myamoto's and Nintendo praising it to high heaven because its de rigeur. Basically a wrong 'un at every step of the way..

"Its a me Mario!" Fuck Off Mario, Fuck off and burn in hell.

I think it could be suggested in some quarters that you could be talking about yourself there, pat ;)

I don't think that the irritations in Mario 64 have ever been overlooked because of Miyamoto's status - in fact, he's come out and addressed them himself, I believe. But the reason they could be overlooked is because there is so much right with the game that you can learn to live with them quite easily. Also, suggestions that the controls are sluggish (although they are undoubtedly tricky and take some getting used to) are ridiculous - if anything they could be perceived to be slightly over-sensitive.

It's a brilliant game and still is and deserves every bit of praise it gets but I've never thought that there has been an en masse effort to ignore its faults.

Basically a wrong 'un at every step of the way..

I think it could be suggested in some quarters that you could be talking about yourself there, pat ;)

I don't think that the irritations in Mario 64 have ever been overlooked because of Miyamoto's status - in fact, he's come out and addressed them himself, I believe. But the reason they could be overlooked is because there is so much right with the game that you can learn to live with them quite easily. Also, suggestions that the controls are sluggish (although they are undoubtedly tricky and take some getting used to) are ridiculous - if anything they could be perceived to be slightly over-sensitive.

It's a brilliant game and still is and deserves every bit of praise it gets but I've never thought that there has been an en masse effort to ignore its faults.

Nowt unusual with being a wrong un, seems to follow me like a trail of destruction wherever I go ;)

Unlike Goldeneye that I came to after the fact. Mario 64 was something I played at the time. It just isnt that good, and the faults outweigh any benefits by miles. You can over look them, why should you have to? Why does it get special praise? because it is Nintendo and Miyamoto that you should over look the faults. If it was any other lead character ( outside of the Mario/Nintendo universe) People wouldnt be falling themselves over it to praise it. It may get a cult following because it has good points, but Im certain it wouldnt be held in such high regard as it is now because imo it's just not that good.

I appreciate that its widely regarded as one of the best games of all time, and that Im going to be swimming against the tide. At the time it was nothing special and over hyped. Ive been back to try a few times and it still does nothing because of the problems I've mentioned. There are a myriad of platformers out there, some appeal some dont. Some are excellent some are not as good as they think they are. Mario is not allowed to be criticised because of its momentous place, and playing through the faults because its an 'excellent' game is something Im not prepared to do . Iirc the most recent FF game was guilty of this with people saying it was shit until you got til 48 hours in or something and then it became brilliant. This doesnt make it a great game it makes it an average to poor game with some good features no more no less and the true is the same about Super Mario 64 hence it being overrated

• Paid Members
I could probably agree with GTA IV if it was highly rated? I know it was hyped to hell before release though, and is the reason I bought a 360. But I never completed it, and I barely played it online either. I liked the characters and the story, but the actual gameplay was rather boring and samey.

I also bought a 360 solely for this, at first I thought a Wii would be enough for this generation. I'm so glad GTA 4 came out as it made me buy a 360 and I haven't looked back since. GTA4 was disappointing. Graphically it was stunning- perhaps the most incredible game I've played in that aspect. But storyline-wise, it lacked massively. It was pale in comparison to VC & SA- which to be honest has great storylines with compelling characters.

With regards to it being highly-rated, I'm pretty sure it has a 10 rating on IGN. Critics have given this a massive rating I believe. I'm not convinced by the game. Red Dead has clearly outshone it IMO.

• Paid Members
Nowt unusual with being a wrong un, seems to follow me like a trail of destruction wherever I go ;)

Unlike Goldeneye that I came to after the fact. Mario 64 was something I played at the time. It just isnt that good, and the faults outweigh any benefits by miles. You can over look them, why should you have to? Why does it get special praise? because it is Nintendo and Miyamoto that you should over look the faults. If it was any other lead character ( outside of the Mario/Nintendo universe) People wouldnt be falling themselves over it to praise it. It may get a cult following because it has good points, but Im certain it wouldnt be held in such high regard as it is now because imo it's just not that good.

I appreciate that its widely regarded as one of the best games of all time, and that Im going to be swimming against the tide. At the time it was nothing special and over hyped. Ive been back to try a few times and it still does nothing because of the problems I've mentioned. There are a myriad of platformers out there, some appeal some dont. Some are excellent some are not as good as they think they are. Mario is not allowed to be criticised because of its momentous place, and playing through the faults because its an 'excellent' game is something Im not prepared to do . Iirc the most recent FF game was guilty of this with people saying it was shit until you got til 48 hours in or something and then it became brilliant. This doesnt make it a great game it makes it an average to poor game with some good features no more no less and the true is the same about Super Mario 64 hence it being overrated

I don't know where you are getting these ideas from at all. The problems in Mario 64 are widely acknowledged, and were at the time. They weren't ignored because of some massive pro-Miyamoto/Nintendo conspiracy that you seem to believe existed. For the vast majority of people who have played and reviewed it they simply felt, like I did, that the occasional camera and control problems were not insurmountable and that its plus points vastly outweighed them.

It's not a conspiracy of silence, pat, and it's absurd that you should suggest that it is. What it actually happens to be is that you don't like the game and don't feel that you can play it because of the faults we have both talked about (which I'm perfectly fine with), but you are in a very small minority and actually cannot seem to understand nor accept the fact that people could actually love the game despite its flaws. Therefore it has to be something dodgy? Nonsense.

Archived