Raw Discussion *Spoilers* 28/2

Super Cena

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely bang on the money there, El Nicko Loco. One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.

A superb round-up of the show, ending with a couple of sentences on what sums up WWE's product at the moment perfectly.

John Cena and fans have been talking about how The Rock wouldn't appear live on this past Monday's RAW to confront cena. In response, The Rock wrote the following on Twitter today:

"I should remind cena I was NEVER scheduled to be on Raw last night. No problem - as promised, next time - LIVE - my boot to his ass. Yabba.."

• Paid Members

Just finished with This weeks raw, and saw the rock promo. i agree that it was a bit to long, but was otherwise great once again!

although i will mention, did anybody else think the rock sounded really really angry? I mean i know he puts on his rock promo voice, but he sounded like a teacher telling somebody off. Might of just been me, but he came across (for the most part) really angry, and even a tad Heel-ish to me.

Again probably just me, but either way all this Rock/Cena stuff is great, I'll be expecting rock to turn up towards the end of a cena match in the next 2 weeks, in which rock slides in and Rock Bottoms him.

:thumbsup:

The Rock's promo didn't do anything for me. It wasn't because of it being satellite, or the crowd reaction, or the length of it...I just didn't think it was funny. It was intense, there's no doubting that, and he delivered it well, but I wasn't buying what he was saying.

Jack Swagger must be thanking his lucky stars he's been added to what is the most built-up feud so far for Mania. This could give him the boost he needs to get noticed again.

The Cena/Miz/Riley stuff wasn't any more crap than most of Cena's segments have been anyway. It just felt even worse because of Cena's slightly stronger stuff last week. They really should just make Cena rhyme every time he talks, he's more interesting that way, albeit a little too against the gays...

I enjoyed Triple H's opening speech, it was a nice angle on the WM match rather than saying he's doing it for his retired buddy HBK. I shook my head at the Sheamus stuff - it was ace, but at the same time just absolutely destroyed him. Even Triple H searching for him backstage after his promo, kicking his ass and dragging him to be pedigree'd through the desk would have been better. It would have looked like Sheamus was actively avoiding him like a coward, knowing he hadn't ended Trips for good. Instead he just walked right into a battering and so it just felt like a rushed way to get him out of Triple H's way.

CM Punk should never have taken over Nexus. As mentioned already he doesn't need them. When Barrett got chucked out they may as well have made Otunga the leader and they could have taken over and feuded with the mid-card instead, at least until they got a new star leader or something.

• Paid Members

I hated the build up to both Orton vs. Punk and Cole vs. Lawler on this show, with all the talk being about Jack Swagger and/or the members of Nexus being in people's corners. Building up matches by discussing and promoting the likelyhood of interference has never sat very well with me and is one of the many reasons why I gave up on TNA years ago. Not only does it feel really gimmicky and stupid, but it completely ruins the matches themselves because the live crowd don't get into anything because they know nothing matters until the run-in occurs. I've no problem with interference itself, but it should be a natural, organic thing, not something that authority figures like the Mystery GM recognise ahead of time and even book matches expecting. Randy has to beat all of Nexus in the weeks leading up to the show in order to stop them from running in on the night? Fucking stupid.

And while I'm on the subject, I'm sick of them having this revolving door policy concerning the members of Nexus. Since they debuted last summer it honestly feels like they've never had a single chance to get over as a dominant, consistent group because guys are always being kicked or taken out. Skip Sheffield, Darren Young, Michael Tarver, Husky Harris, Michael McGillicutty, the list goes on and on. Sure, if they wanted to give the group an overhaul when CM Punk took over that'd be one thing, but they're still taking guys out the group on a near weekly basis. Done correctly you can use a faction to get a select number of guys over, but between changing the line-up all the time and treating them like jobbers I'd be very surprised if the casual fan could even name the group's members, never mind take them seriously as a threat. Not that it's very surprising, but if you think back to how much potential there was in Nexus at the start, it's really sad that they failed to make almost anyone a star, and when the group eventually fizzles out in a few months it'll be just another one of those WWE angles that was amazing on the first night in, but then promptly bombed and achieved nothing in the long-run.

Triple H burying the whole locker room of a company he's set to inherit made my brain explode.

Rock's promo was good, if a little long winded. Cena's promo was absolute dog shit. One of his worst ever.

If Cole vs. Lawler has a special ref, I guess that eliminates Shawn's involvement in Taker vs. Triple H, which is a massive shame if true. That would've add a lot.

The Sheamus stuff was sad, but to be expected.

Sadly, I think I was more excited about Wrestlemania before watching this show, than I was afterwards. Just too many angles, none of which were particularly good.

I enjoyed Raw overall

The Cena promo though was the worst thing on the show, I just didn't understand what he was rambling on about half the time, OCD and doctors note just wasn't making any sense and wasn't funny in the slightest.

Don't agree with all the HHH promo hate, think what he was saying was logical and true, he has been around for a decade and a half and has nothing left to prove to anyone any more, he has achieved anything there is to achieve aside from 1 thing and that is to end the streak of the Undertaker who is the only man who has also been around for the duration of his stay.

Didn't think he was burying the locker room or anything with his comments.

One thing I have noticed is though, last week loads of people came on here and moaned that HHH and Undertaker hadn't gone after the people who put them on the shelf, ie Sheamus in HHH case or Kane/Nexus in Undertakers, yet not 1 person has gotten mad that Evan Bourne returned and didn't go after the man who put him on the shelf Cm Punk. Whats the difference?

• Paid Members

Something else I was thinking about; when The Rock cut that original promo it seemed obvious they were going down the Tyson-Austin-HBK-Wrestlemania 14 route where they tease heat between The Rock and Cena like they did with Tyson and Austin, only for them to be the best of chums at the end by screwing over the heel. And whilst they can still do that if they want to, it's almost as if it's took on a life of it's own, has too much potential and would be wasted on such a story arc. But considering The Rock's made it perfectly clear he has no intentions of wrestling again (something a lot of people seem happy to forget these days), I'm at a total loss as to what else they can do at Mania.

I thought Raw was fine. It didn't feel like it had much filler content, even the divas match and commentary was in aid of building up the Bellas well. It moved along well and I wasn't bored watching it, but taking it piece by piece, I didn't think too much of any aspect.

Triple H's promo was good, but would've been massively helped by an up-for-it crowd. I love the concept of him and Undertaker being the last two of their generation, their dominance over each other being the last thing left to prove, but the flatness of the crowd didn't sell it very well.

I'm in the minority, but I didn't like The Rock's bit. "Yabba dabba bitch" is a line as poor as anything Cena comes out with (perhaps not as bad as the OCD rubbish this week, but the same ballpark), and the whole thing just didn't entertain me. I didn't find his trying to convince everyone he loves wrestling to be particularly sincere. "Finally, The Rock has come back to Buffalo!" ...Except he hadn't. A Malaysian girl saw me wanking on Chatroulette yesterday, that doesn't mean I've been to Malaysia. Really bad idea to go down that "passion" route for the promo when he couldn't be arsed turning up in person, made it seem almost like a parody. I didn't find the "I do love it, honest!" pandering fitting with Rock's character, either. And the singalong stuff doesn't work as well on a video screen.

Cena vs Riley was awkward as fuck, in setup and execution. Ended well enough, though. Miz was very, very good throughout the show. But it's not hard to get the impression that Cena vs Miz is almost an afterthought to Cena vs Rock. Miz reminds me of Kurt Angle during the buildup to Rock-Austin at WrestleMania 17.

Cole was superb again. Swagger's a strange choice as his backup, but I'm on board with it.

Orton vs Punk's storyline with matches to eliminate Nexus feels like the "pro-wrasslin' booking" that worked in American territories in the 70s and 80s, but is unfathomably dull for a WrestleMania feud in 2011. I don't know if I'm remembering it wrong, but it doesn't feel like Nexus have been particularly dangerous lately anyway.

Did anyone else notice Alex Riley dropkicking thin air? Not on youtube yet unfortunately.

Josh Matthews did on commentary.

Sheamus took quite the pasting, but then from a character perspective fully deserved after what he did to HHH. The returning Evan Bourne getting revenge on him also worked quite well.

It was CM Punk who took Smiley Bourne out, not Sheamus.

Don't agree with all the HHH promo hate, think what he was saying was logical and true,

I am not sure he took anything away from anyone else on the roster he just stated the obvious. He has defeated everyone ...

If that is the case, then 3 of the 4 people involved in the WWE/World Title matches aren't worth anything.

He has never faced Del Rio or Miz one-on-one (unless they were throwaway TV matches I don't know about before they got big pushes) and he has never beaten Edge one-on-one in a big Title match.

I agree with the point that most of the current roster are currently not fit to lace HHH's or Undertaker's boots, but burying the participants of the two big Title matches that us fans are supposed to actually care about was a ill-conceived thing to say.

• Paid Members
Don't agree with all the HHH promo hate, think what he was saying was logical and true,

I am not sure he took anything away from anyone else on the roster he just stated the obvious. He has defeated everyone ...

If that is the case, then 3 of the 4 people involved in the WWE/World Title matches aren't worth anything.

He has never faced Del Rio or Miz one-on-one (unless they were throwaway TV matches I don't know about before they got big pushes) and he has never beaten Edge one-on-one in a big Title match.

I agree with the point that most of the current roster are currently not fit to lace HHH's or Undertaker's boots, but burying the participants of the two big Title matches that us fans are supposed to actually care about was a ill-conceived thing to say.

It was just badly worded. The message is right, he doesn't need another World title. He has nothing to gain from going after a Miz or Del Rio. It's all true but needed wording differently because it came out as if to suggest that the people in the locker room aren't worth shit.

If you word it proprely, it doesn't then matter after WM when a Miz or Del Rio antagonises him into a World Title feud, that's just part of the story.

• Paid Members

Triple H beat Edge on PPV for a World Title back when Trips moved to Smackdown one summer there about 2 years ago. It was the first PPV (I'm thinking the June/July PPV) after he switched.

He has also beaten The Miz in a one on one match when DX had a mini feud with The Miz and Morrison.

Also Neil you can do your worst as well name change Sig change whatever you want. But I won

• Paid Members

Triple H beat Edge on PPV for a World Title back when Trips moved to Smackdown one summer there about 2 years ago. It was the first PPV (I'm thinking the June/July PPV) after he switched.

He has also beaten The Miz in a one on one match when DX had a mini feud with The Miz and Morrison.

Also Neil you can do your worst as well name change Sig change whatever you want. But I won

Archived