Raw Discussion *Spoilers* 28/2

Super Cena

The stereotypes have been waiting nearly a year for an opportunity to moan about something Triple H has done, they were bound to kick off no matter what he said in his first promo back.

Bullshit.

Pity loves arguing against those "stereotypes".

Indeed he does. Almost as much as Dirty Eddie loves living up to them.

Mate, if I lived up to even half of your usual stereotype I'd watch nothing but RoH and Shimmer, my favourite wrestler would be someone like Roderick Strong and I'd think that character development is a waste of time and that "movez" are all that matter.

None of which is even slightly true.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stereotypes have been waiting nearly a year for an opportunity to moan about something Triple H has done, they were bound to kick off no matter what he said in his first promo back.

Bullshit.

Pity loves arguing against those "stereotypes".

Indeed he does. Almost as much as Dirty Eddie loves living up to them.

Mate, if I lived up to even half of your usual stereotype I'd watch nothing but RoH and Shimmer, my favourite wrestler would be someone like Roderick Strong and I'd think that character development is a waste of time and that "movez" are all that matter.

None of which is even slightly true.

Nonsense. Stereotypes also have to watch Raw, so they can pick out bits to moan about all the young guys being held down by Triple H.

Of course it's not worthy, but it was always inevitable that that speech was going to be a source of intensive debate. The stereotypes have been waiting nearly a year for an opportunity to moan about something Triple H has done, they were bound to kick off no matter what he said in his first promo back.

They couldn't even wait til he spoke to get their digs in. Last week there was more than a few people pretending that he returned to a dead crowd reaction. It's pretty sad.

His body language said it all really didn't it? He just didn't look interested when delivering his speech either. He had mild hints of passion but it didn't grab my attention one bit. We can't all be wrong. It's there plain to see I think.

• Paid Members
- Wasn't Mo Chatra writing for Powerslam? Jesus wept, how did Triple H bury the whole locker room? I suppose you slotted in with the anti-WWE stance of Powerslam. What was Triple H meant to say? "I've beaten everyone back in that locker room except some midcarders I've not had the chance to wrestle." If he's beaten the elite of WWE, I'll excuse him for not having to mention that he's not beaten midcarders he's not faced. In no way should midcarders interfere in a promo like that or need to be considered. That is the match they're pushing to sell a load of PPVs for Wrestlemania. I very much doubt the wrestlers who were 'victims' of the promo would care one bit. Like what's been said already, if it wasn't Triple H saying it then no one would bat an eyelid. I didn't bat an eyelid watching it. Completely ridiculous - it's the sort of comment that people say in a 'piss take of a smark' kind of way.

Hunter said, "When you look around in that locker room in the back, Dead Man, I know you see the same thing I do- there are no challenges left, really. There is no big test in front of you. You and I are in the same position."

Why say something like that? It's like saying that nobody else in the back is worth bothering with. He had already said enough about past accomplishments and talking about who he has beaten, but then he goes on to bury the current roster by stating that he sees nothing back there as 'challenges'.

Of course he needs to hype up the match with 'Taker, but he can do that just as effectively by talking about beating The Undertaker at WrestleMania being the one thing that would top all his other accomplishments and, you know, the fact 'Taker forced his best friend into retirement (which he didn't even mention). Focus the build-up on those two things rather than take needless shots at the rest of the roster who have a tough battle anyway in getting accepted as equals to the headline acts of the past.

Blown magnificently out of proportion. Ask any casual fan, that being the majority, whether they think that any of the lower card wrestlers came across worse after that promo and it will be a resounding 'no'. He said he doesn't see any challenges any more. I think he was using the title wins to back up that point. What challenges does he have left exactly? He's done it all. Everyone knows he's done it all. I suppose there's the challenge of facing Yoshi Tatsu, Primo or Tyson Kidd now I come to think of it...Did The Rock bury everyone in WWE when he was saying there's nothing left for him before Goldberg came out? Granted, he was a heel which made it more effective but there's no denying Triple H has done everything. He's been in factions, had title wins with most belts, put over young guys and been the figurehead of the company. I wouldn't be surprised if Triple H vs. Undertaker will be career vs. streak. I thought that Triple H implied that with what he said at the end - something along the lines of the loser 'dying'. And if it were to be that match, what he said would hold even less significance in the grand scheme of things. And then Triple H would be beaten and that would be that.

Now I'm going to go watch Triple H bury TAKA Michinoku.

Why did his motivation have to stem from that fact though?

There were other ways to explain his motivation for wanting to face the Undertaker where he wouldn't have needed to talk about how many people he has beaten.

Saying he has won every title many times, for example. He has accomplished every goal he wanted to accomplish except ending the Undertker's streak.

Saying that doesn't make it sound like he's saying he is better than the current Champions and people they are trying to push as big stars. Whereas saying he has beaten everybody else who will appear at WrestleMania does suggest that.

He didn't say "I've beaten everybody else who will appear at Wrestlemania". If he'd have said that, it would be a problem. His comment was nowhere near as blatant. It was, like Super Fizzer said, more of a figure of speech. Christ, maybe he wouldn't have said it if he'd have known so many people would get their microscopes out, blow the whole thing up and cry about it. Actually, I imagine he'll find it a bonus that internet goons are crying about it.

The bottom line is no damage is done. Absolutely no damage. That line could have been left out but the only difference it would have made is that internet Triple H hating cry babies would have picked another line to bitch about.

If anything's been funny, it's the response of people defending Triple H. You've reacted as if a whole bunch of people are tearing into Triple H like nobody's business. I, and others have criticised him but it's not like what he did was a big deal. I didn't say it was. It was just a needless remark that, if hadn't been said, wouldn't have made his promo any less effective in building up his match with 'Taker.

The fact he said it doesn't really matter in terms of what you see on TV, but if you're The Miz or one of several other guys ready to become headliners, that kind of comment can be quite deflating when it comes from one of the most powerful figures in the company (and Triple H is known for sending messages to guys through his promos).

I don't hate Triple H but I did find it funny when he was walking around the ring before his promo as if he couldn't start speaking because the crowd was cheering so much, yet the fans were really quiet until a light, short chant broke out for him.

• Paid Members
- Wasn't Mo Chatra writing for Powerslam? Jesus wept, how did Triple H bury the whole locker room? I suppose you slotted in with the anti-WWE stance of Powerslam. What was Triple H meant to say? "I've beaten everyone back in that locker room except some midcarders I've not had the chance to wrestle." If he's beaten the elite of WWE, I'll excuse him for not having to mention that he's not beaten midcarders he's not faced. In no way should midcarders interfere in a promo like that or need to be considered. That is the match they're pushing to sell a load of PPVs for Wrestlemania. I very much doubt the wrestlers who were 'victims' of the promo would care one bit. Like what's been said already, if it wasn't Triple H saying it then no one would bat an eyelid. I didn't bat an eyelid watching it. Completely ridiculous - it's the sort of comment that people say in a 'piss take of a smark' kind of way.

Hunter said, "When you look around in that locker room in the back, Dead Man, I know you see the same thing I do- there are no challenges left, really. There is no big test in front of you. You and I are in the same position."

Why say something like that? It's like saying that nobody else in the back is worth bothering with. He had already said enough about past accomplishments and talking about who he has beaten, but then he goes on to bury the current roster by stating that he sees nothing back there as 'challenges'.

Of course he needs to hype up the match with 'Taker, but he can do that just as effectively by talking about beating The Undertaker at WrestleMania being the one thing that would top all his other accomplishments and, you know, the fact 'Taker forced his best friend into retirement (which he didn't even mention). Focus the build-up on those two things rather than take needless shots at the rest of the roster who have a tough battle anyway in getting accepted as equals to the headline acts of the past.

Blown magnificently out of proportion. Ask any casual fan, that being the majority, whether they think that any of the lower card wrestlers came across worse after that promo and it will be a resounding 'no'. He said he doesn't see any challenges any more. I think he was using the title wins to back up that point. What challenges does he have left exactly? He's done it all. Everyone knows he's done it all. I suppose there's the challenge of facing Yoshi Tatsu, Primo or Tyson Kidd now I come to think of it...Did The Rock bury everyone in WWE when he was saying there's nothing left for him before Goldberg came out? Granted, he was a heel which made it more effective but there's no denying Triple H has done everything. He's been in factions, had title wins with most belts, put over young guys and been the figurehead of the company. I wouldn't be surprised if Triple H vs. Undertaker will be career vs. streak. I thought that Triple H implied that with what he said at the end - something along the lines of the loser 'dying'. And if it were to be that match, what he said would hold even less significance in the grand scheme of things. And then Triple H would be beaten and that would be that.

Now I'm going to go watch Triple H bury TAKA Michinoku.

Why did his motivation have to stem from that fact though?

There were other ways to explain his motivation for wanting to face the Undertaker where he wouldn't have needed to talk about how many people he has beaten.

Saying he has won every title many times, for example. He has accomplished every goal he wanted to accomplish except ending the Undertker's streak.

Saying that doesn't make it sound like he's saying he is better than the current Champions and people they are trying to push as big stars. Whereas saying he has beaten everybody else who will appear at WrestleMania does suggest that.

He didn't say "I've beaten everybody else who will appear at Wrestlemania". If he'd have said that, it would be a problem. His comment was nowhere near as blatant. It was, like Super Fizzer said, more of a figure of speech. Christ, maybe he wouldn't have said it if he'd have known so many people would get their microscopes out, blow the whole thing up and cry about it. Actually, I imagine he'll find it a bonus that internet goons are crying about it.

The bottom line is no damage is done. Absolutely no damage. That line could have been left out but the only difference it would have made is that internet Triple H hating cry babies would have picked another line to bitch about.

If anything's been funny, it's the response of people defending Triple H. You've reacted as if a whole bunch of people are tearing into Triple H like nobody's business. I, and others have criticised him but it's not like what he did was a big deal. I didn't say it was. It was just a needless remark that, if hadn't been said, wouldn't have made his promo any less effective in building up his match with 'Taker.

The fact he said it doesn't really matter in terms of what you see on TV, but if you're The Miz or one of several other guys ready to become headliners, that kind of comment can be quite deflating when it comes from one of the most powerful figures in the company (and Triple H is known for sending messages to guys through his promos).

I don't hate Triple H but I did find it funny when he was walking around the ring before his promo as if he couldn't start speaking because the crowd was cheering so much, yet the fans were really quiet until a light, short chant broke out for him.

The crowd were just terrible though. Not just for triple H but for the whole show. Not a hot crowd at all. They really got the rough end of the stick though. Paying your ticket for that amount of talking and not a lot of wrestling would piss me off. But on TV it looked good and was needed to develop everything for Wrestlemania.

Next week with a hotter crowd and some good matches Triple H will get a much bigger pop. Not a lot of talking is needed well not that much now anyway. The Rock - Cena thing is going to continue. When The Miz wins at Wrestlemania they have a great excuse for Cena he wasn't focused on The Miz and under estimated him. Doesn't make him look weak just makes him look like he got his priorities wrong.

• Paid Members
The crowd were just terrible though. Not just for triple H but for the whole show. Not a hot crowd at all. They really got the rough end of the stick though. Paying your ticket for that amount of talking and not a lot of wrestling would piss me off. But on TV it looked good and was needed to develop everything for Wrestlemania.

Next week with a hotter crowd and some good matches Triple H will get a much bigger pop. Not a lot of talking is needed well not that much now anyway. The Rock - Cena thing is going to continue. When The Miz wins at Wrestlemania they have a great excuse for Cena he wasn't focused on The Miz and under estimated him. Doesn't make him look weak just makes him look like he got his priorities wrong.

Yeah, it was a subdued crowd though even crowds that are generally quiet do usually react well for the opening segment at least. Not on this occasion, and surprising considering they were in Buffalo.

Even The Rock's verbiage didn't have fans going apeshit, but it was a pre-taped interview so that did partly explain it.

I thought people were getting worked up because he's burying the roster. My apologies if that's not the case. But history shows a lot of fans slating Triple H for holding youngsters down. If it were 2002-2005, I could empaphise with that but I think the trend has grown and isn't as relevant now. It seems a 'smart' thing to do to pick out where HHH is burying the roster.

And the crowd were awful.

Archived