carry jobs

kamicazze

• Paid Members
No wonder Hogan decided not to do the return job.

Im pretty sure Hogan had already decided that. Shawn wasnt too happy about getting mullered by Hogan then he picks up his cheque and heads back to the tanning beds.

It was unprofessional but I cant blame him. If I was a full time wrestler I would have felt the same.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the HBK/Hogan thing isn't a carry job. It's a blatant rib. It's a phenomenal piece of work, though. Not many people are bulletproof when they get in the ring with Hogan, but Michaels made the whole thing such a blatant comedy skit that the loss didn't affect him a jot.

The Bret/Bulldog thing is a funny one. Bulldog was never the greatest worker in the world, but he was more than capable of excellent matches with the right opponents. That doesn't mean he was always being carried. It just means he wasn't necessarily able to drag a worse worker up to his level, the way that great workers were able to pull him. I think he gets a somewhat unfair rap for that match.

And Angle carried Jannetty? Seriously? Marty Jannetty is a complete flake, but if he'd been able to keep his shit together for a longer period, he'd have been in a very, very similar spot to Shawn Michaels by this stage. He was an OUTSTANDING worker - maybe not quite at the Michaels level, but not at all far off. Did Michaels carry him to their MOTY in 1993? (It was 1993, wasn't it?) Or did Matt Bourne carry him through the awesome 2/3 with Doink? No. Marty Jannetty is/was an excellent worker and deserves better than to be accused of needing to be carried by Kurt Angle.

Good call on the Hart/Magee match though. If my memory serves me, that was the first WWF match shown in the ITV Saturday afternoon slot in 1987.

• Paid Members
this thread is about when one wrestler has clearly carried the other one to an excellent match. i dont mean in terms of how in all cena's matches he gets carried but someone who hasnt had a good match for a long time and then a star pulls one out of them. Ill start

Shawn michaels in his carry jobs of ric flair and hulk hogan.

Bret hart with british bulldog in 92

Hulk Hogan doesn't need to be carried, he's an excellent worker, or was. Shawn certainly didn't carry him in that match. What he did do was turn it into a joke. I felt very let down by Shawn's unprofessional performance in the match I had been really excited about.

is that the match where he bumps like crazy for every move Hulk does. i didnt realise that was hbk been a cock

Not so much bumps like crazy, he bumps unrealistically! Loki sums it up perfectly. Whether Hogan had decided not to do the return job before hand or not I don't know, but it doesn't matter. Just because Shawn didn't get what he wanted, doesn't mean he should throw his toys out the pram. In a predetermined sport the outcome shouldn't be the be all and end all to the worker, the story they tell should be. This is one very rare occasion that I didn't like Shawn's story.

It was funny, but it wasn't meant to be a funny match. Hogan worked as hard in that match as he was physically able, and I thought Shawn's antics were pretty disrespectful. No wonder Hogan decided not to do the return job.

Talking of carry jobs, Hogan's masterful manipulation of Warrior into a good match at their Wrestlemania bout was really impressive, as Scott Hall showed in his commentary piece. There's this myth that Hogan was a bad wrestler in the 80s, but when you actually watch his matches, often with large immobile behemoths, he was really brilliant at creating main event spectacles.

Yeah, the HBK/Hogan thing isn't a carry job. It's a blatant rib. It's a phenomenal piece of work, though. Not many people are bulletproof when they get in the ring with Hogan, but Michaels made the whole thing such a blatant comedy skit that the loss didn't affect him a jot.

The loss wouldn't have effected him anyway, no more so than his WrestleMania loss to The Undertaker and that was a good match. He could have had a good match with Hogan if he'd wanted to, that's why I've always felt so let down by that.

• Paid Members
Firstly I remember Benoit carring ATrain to a great match, think Vengence 2002 - there will surely be more from the forbidden one.

Angle carried jannetty and countless others

While thinking about this, I couldn't think of a TNA carry job off the top of my head - maybe this means something...

As wonderful as a worker Angle is, Jannetty to his own credit really carried his load of that match too, his work and timing in that match was phenomenal for a guy who had probly never worked a match of that pace for nearly 6 or 7 years

It makes me so sad to think about that match. Right there and then, if Jannetty had been able to keep his shit together for once, he could have had a career renaissance. Angle was apparently hugely impressed and thought he should be put on the roster straight away, and the bean counters got excited about a Rockers reunion tour. But he fucked up, and the next time he appeared on Raw a few years later he'd turned the corner into nostalgia act.

The Bret/Bulldog thing is a funny one. Bulldog was never the greatest worker in the world, but he was more than capable of excellent matches with the right opponents. That doesn't mean he was always being carried. It just means he wasn't necessarily able to drag a worse worker up to his level, the way that great workers were able to pull him. I think he gets a somewhat unfair rap for that match.
Its not that Davey Boy was a bad worker and needed carrying in that way, its just by Bret's account of things, Davey was fucked out of his mind at that point and couldn't remember a single part of the Summerslam match by the time they hit the ring, so Bret had to call the entire match.

• Paid Members
For me it has to be as follows:

2. Bret Hart Vs Tom Magee: Tom Magee was a bodybuilder, and he wrestled Bret in a trial in the 80's. Bret made him look amazing and Vince thought he had a Hogan v2. Magee then exposed himself to be horrendous and unusable when put in with anyone else, and was released and enver heard of again.

Has anyone ever seen this match?

For me it has to be as follows:

2. Bret Hart Vs Tom Magee: Tom Magee was a bodybuilder, and he wrestled Bret in a trial in the 80's. Bret made him look amazing and Vince thought he had a Hogan v2. Magee then exposed himself to be horrendous and unusable when put in with anyone else, and was released and enver heard of again.

Has anyone ever seen this match?

I was going to say it is a pretty strange choice considering no-one on this board will have ever seen that match. Dave Meltzer has certainly seen it as he has written about it in the Observer on several occasions, but bar him and people in the arena that night, I doubt many others would have seen it. I know many who are heavily into Tape/DVD trading and have unbelievable collections of old and rare stuff, and this match is seen as some sort of holy grail amongst them.

I was pretty sure the Hart/Magee match had been Youtubed by now. I can't check myself as work filters prevent Youtubery. From all accounts it's a truly phenomenal piece of work though, as even the other workers couldn't tell that Hart had pulled the whole thing together himself. It's a shame, really. Magee was supposedly a really great athlete with a superhuman look and plenty of charisma, but without a Bret Hart to whip him into line, he couldn't wrestle for toffee. I love the image of Bret saying "OK, what are your three best spots? Great. Now shut up and do everything I tell you."

I was pretty sure the Hart/Magee match had been Youtubed by now. I can't check myself as work filters prevent Youtubery. From all accounts it's a truly phenomenal piece of work though, as even the other workers couldn't tell that Hart had pulled the whole thing together himself. It's a shame, really. Magee was supposedly a really great athlete with a superhuman look and plenty of charisma, but without a Bret Hart to whip him into line, he couldn't wrestle for toffee. I love the image of Bret saying "OK, what are your three best spots? Great. Now shut up and do everything I tell you."

It's not on youtube at the moment. The infamous Magee vs Hiroshi Wajima match is there aswell as a WWF squash against Terry Gibbs plus a couple of matches from Germany where he wrestled as Joe McKenzie, but that's it.

This is a post from Bix on another board that is discussing holy grails amongst Tape/DVD collectors:

Bret Hart vs Tom Magee: Dave Meltzer got a copy of the famous magical carry job, but has never let it out of his sight.

And when it comes to all things about tapes, who they came from, who has what etc. Bix knows more than almost everyone.

• Paid Members
I recall a match between Golberg and DDP in maybe 98 that was awesome. Goldberg, as mentioned before, was green as hell but DDP really worked wonders.

I'm sorry, but that wasn't even approaching a carry job. It was a fantastic match though, saw it recently.

Is it really fair to say Hogan carried Warrior at WM6, considering the match was laid out and practiced beforehand, and both guys probably had it memorised?

Yeah, it was a shame and a(nother) missed opportunity for Marty Jannetty after that Angle match. It was great stuff and it felt like a throwback to the mid 90s. The only bad thing was Jannetty's boring attire. When he came back in later years vs Mr Kennedy he looked a bit haggard but could still go, and by the time of the Miz match it was clear he was done. But around 05-06 he would have been good for a little year long run or something, even if it mostly was on Velocity/heat.

Archived