carry jobs

kamicazze

Shawn Michaels had a very good match with a ladder at Wrestlemania 10... carried Scott Hall on his back at the same time I believe.

Bret Hart maybe carried the following, certainly gave them better matches than they usually produced at the time. Hakushi, Skinner, Papa Shango and Isaac Yankem come to mind.

Naddie Neidhart carried Laycool in some indeterminable WWE PPV offering last year, even saving the finish. Maybe not an obvious shout but after the match I was well high on Naddie.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Shawn Michaels had a very good match with a ladder at Wrestlemania 10... carried Scott Hall on his back at the same time I believe.

Thought you were serious for a minute there. What am I like.

Is it really fair to say Hogan carried Warrior at WM6, considering the match was laid out and practiced beforehand, and both guys probably had it memorised?

Warrior hasn't got a clue what he's doing in that match, he fucks up half of his spots and even screws up running the ropes, he forgets or doesn't bother to sell, he blows up massively twice in the match, once really early on as well.

Hogan controls the whole thing by basically pushing Warrior around, bumping like he's Shawn Michaels, grabbing rest holds and compensating with great facial expessions whenever Warrior fucks up a spot. It really is a thing of beauty.

• Paid Members
I was pretty sure the Hart/Magee match had been Youtubed by now. I can't check myself as work filters prevent Youtubery. From all accounts it's a truly phenomenal piece of work though, as even the other workers couldn't tell that Hart had pulled the whole thing together himself. It's a shame, really. Magee was supposedly a really great athlete with a superhuman look and plenty of charisma, but without a Bret Hart to whip him into line, he couldn't wrestle for toffee. I love the image of Bret saying "OK, what are your three best spots? Great. Now shut up and do everything I tell you."

That match isn't, but I did find this:

It's true, the guy is very athletic, but my God he's awful! How on earth he got work in Japan I'll never know :/

Is it really fair to say Hogan carried Warrior at WM6, considering the match was laid out and practiced beforehand, and both guys probably had it memorised?

Warrior hasn't got a clue what he's doing in that match, he fucks up half of his spots and even screws up running the ropes, he forgets or doesn't bother to sell, he blows up massively twice in the match, once really early on as well.

Hogan controls the whole thing by basically pushing Warrior around, bumping like he's Shawn Michaels, grabbing rest holds and compensating with great facial expessions whenever Warrior fucks up a spot. It really is a thing of beauty.

I really am gonna have to rewatch that match, it's been far too long!

• Paid Members

Thought you were serious for a minute there. What am I like.

I'm not sure I 100% agree but honestly, when had Scott Hall had a match anywhere close to that before then? He had a couple of decent matches with Bret in 1993 but otherwise, his matches were pretty average while that one was exceptional.

Anyway, John Cena, Royal Rumble 2007.

I was pretty sure the Hart/Magee match had been Youtubed by now. I can't check myself as work filters prevent Youtubery. From all accounts it's a truly phenomenal piece of work though, as even the other workers couldn't tell that Hart had pulled the whole thing together himself. It's a shame, really. Magee was supposedly a really great athlete with a superhuman look and plenty of charisma, but without a Bret Hart to whip him into line, he couldn't wrestle for toffee. I love the image of Bret saying "OK, what are your three best spots? Great. Now shut up and do everything I tell you."

It's true, the guy is very athletic, but my God he's awful! How on earth he got work in Japan I'll never know :/

Magee/Wajima won Worst Match of the Year for 1988 in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, and Magee's offense especially in that match is ungodly weak. If you've not seen it, check out his match with Terry Gibbs which is also up on youtube, if only for the entrance if nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMMWTxD1v9Y

He's a little better here, I think he had potential. Who was WWF's trainer back then?

• Paid Members

Magee/Wajima won Worst Match of the Year for 1988 in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, and Magee's offense especially in that match is ungodly weak. If you've not seen it, check out his match with Terry Gibbs which is also up on youtube, if only for the entrance if nothing else.

Back in 1987/88 I would have gone nuts over that guy. Even now I can feel myself wanting to like him. Heavyweight body, but light-heavyweight agility, charismatic, good looking. Such a waste.

• Paid Members
It can't be that good of a carry job if you can tell it's a carry job.

That's a good line, but I don't think it works in the context of Internet fans, who would most likely scrutinise things a lot more closely than casuals do, and also have access to info about wrestlers that casuals wouldn't bother with. Also, there's the simple basis of comparison with past performances.

Example: Masters in 2005 was pretty bad, but he had an awesome match with Michaels, and went back to having crap matches straight after. Therefore we know it was a carry-job: either because Michaels called it, or (and this is much more unlikely but still possible) because Masters was so stoked to be having a match with HBK that he really raised his game to carry his end of the match.

Archived