carry jobs

kamicazze

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DDP vs Goldberg was October 25, 1998 and Goldberg vs Nash was December 27, 1998. So it was two months after and bollocks was it crap. Nash vs Goldberg was a better match than the DDP one. Goldberg worked really hard in the match as well, and the crowd had a sense that a title change. You might want to watch that was again. Power Slam even called it "the best match of Goldberg's short career by some distance" at the time. Goldberg was progressing as a worker at the time. After Starrcade 98, injuries and shit booking combined with a lack of motivation finished him off as far as his progression goes, but Goldberg was having some belters at the time.

Oh that was the same match? Obviously my memory is letting me down as I remembered it as much later. Yeah I only saw it the once and didn't enjoy it at the time. I suppose my memory of it could have been tainted Nash booking the winning streak to end at his own hands and the involvement of the taser which I found crap every time it appeared from then on through the next few weeks when it was never far away.

Also looking at the dates Xmas/NY 98/99 was a rough time for me and I'd have probably found Shawn V Undertaker at WM shite too had I watched it at that time. You're right, if it's held in high regard then I should probably go back and watch it again.

• Paid Members
That's the 2nd time I've seen that in this thread, but I honestly don't remember that match being particularly good. Is it worth a rewatch?

No. It's a Herculean effort from Bams and Taylor (for a first match), but it doesnt deserve a bumming. Its largely forgettable. As is Mania XI for the most part, unless you count Owen's celebrations after he finally wins a belt, which is joyous.

The thing is... it wasn't shit. It had no right no not be shit, the whole thing looked like being a massively embarrassing spectacle, but Bigelow and the WWE team did a great job in making it entertaining.

There's a story, I can't quite remember the details, about Bam Bam threatening to kill LT if he didn't keep up. Talk about incentive!

• Paid Members
On the Hart/Magee match, is there anything about it in Bret's book? I've not read it, but it seems the kind of thing he would write about.

There is. Bret makes it sound like he did all the work in his inimitable ego-maniacal style, and seemed a bit miffed that when Magee came back through the curtain Vince beamed "there's my next World Champion!" and basically no one gave Bret any credit for making him look good.

If I get a spare minute I'll transcribe it over the weekend.

For me, the best carry job I've ever seen was Angle vs Morgan. You can even pin point the exact moment where Morgan completely loses it during the match and Angle has to take over. How he dragged Morgan to a match that good is beyond me. Morgan hasnt looked as good as that since.

That's a great call. I remember watching that match and being really surprised at how good it was compared to other stuff Morgan had done previously. I've not given a shit about the TNA main event picture for the last few months. Partly because I think Morgan just isn't delivering what TNA seem to expect of him, Anderson bores me and Jeff Hardy can't even seem to hit his own finisher properly these days.

It almost seems crazy that they never did a rematch of that or had them work together at some point...there was definite potential for it.

• Paid Members
On the Hart/Magee match, is there anything about it in Bret's book? I've not read it, but it seems the kind of thing he would write about.

There is. Bret makes it sound like he did all the work in his inimitable ego-maniacal style, and seemed a bit miffed that when Magee came back through the curtain Vince beamed "there's my next World Champion!" and basically no one gave Bret any credit for making him look good.

If I get a spare minute I'll transcribe it over the weekend.

to be fair I've read Bret's book and on the Magee match I'll give his ego the benefit of the doubt.

For me, the best carry job I've ever seen was Angle vs Morgan. You can even pin point the exact moment where Morgan completely loses it during the match and Angle has to take over. How he dragged Morgan to a match that good is beyond me. Morgan hasnt looked as good as that since.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xawrvk_wr...-s-future_sport

Is this the one you're talking of? Where's the point Morgan loses it? That's genuine question, not a jibe.

The Hart/Magee match was legendary before Bret ever started writing his book. Magee was kept under contract for ages while they tried to figure out what happened to the guy in the match with Hart, not realising that Hart had done such a great job of carrying him that even experienced workers and bookers who knew Bret had a lot of talent couldn't figure out that it was a carry job. It sounds like something we should all get a chance to see, but I fear most of us never will. :(

McBride your so right, if i remember as well didnt they actually pay hima shedload to?, bascially WWF spunked a fair penny to the wall for a guy who they couldnt do anything with. From what i rememebr of the footage the difference between him vs Hart and him vs anyone else was night and day. the guy made Warrior look awesome in comparison.

From what i rememebr of the footage the difference between him vs Hart and him vs anyone else was night and day.

So you're saying you have seen the Magee/Hart match?

Magee was kept around until at least 1989 when he underwent a slight name change, first as Megaman Magee and then just The Megaman. Again, he didn't progress any further than doing opening match work on house shows against the likes of Tim Horner.

I have, it was actually on Youtube a few years back, i remember it well as i actually looked it up after hearing about it on a shoot interview.

Fair enough. Hopefully, it will turn up again somewhere so we will all get a chance to see it. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility, as at one point it was thought Missy Hyatt's infamous Missy's Manor segments would never see the light of day, that was until the lady herself put them on her website and they then made their way round the trading scene.

Archived