The Non-league footy thread

spartan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

IF I can't get to a Hull game, I'll go and watch North Ferriby United. They are a level below Conference North, currently 5th in the Northern Prem. Surprisingly good standard these days with players filtering down. Also with more pro sides in the Conference, you find some players can earn more playing semi-pro lower down and having a proper job.

I'm a fan of Colwyn Bay FC, Evostik Prem (one below the conference), same league as N.Ferriby - infact we have them in a couple of weeks.

We're currently 2nd in the league. The other thing that improves the quality of the football is the teams in our league. I count 3 ex conference teams that I know in our league, and a fair few in the league below. Some have fallen on hard times (Northwich Vics, Witton Albion, Chorley), others are clubs that have folded & reformed (FC Halifax, Chester FC). Also we have FC United in our league. Kicked their arses though :).

It's funny how the standard seems to be higher in the Northern Premier than elsewhere. When Nuneaton got liquidated and re-formed two leagues lower (Southern Midlands division), the standard was absolutely appalling, some of the teams didn't seem better than park standard. It improved a bit last year in the Southern Premier, but it's only now back in Conf North i feel the standard is half-way decent.

I do realise this post makes me look a bit of a knob that my 'big time' :rolleyes: team were forced to play some shocking teams for a year or two.

• Paid Members

It's funny watching some of these reformed or newly formed teams climb back up the ladder. Teams normally bring about 20 away fans to Ferriby. In their first season in the Northern Prem, FC United brought a thousand. It's a right sleepy, snooty little place, it didn't know what hit it. Unfortunately the official car park has room for about 10 cars so it was chaos.

• Awards Moderator

I go to watch Prescot Cables quite a bit as they're only 5 minutes away from where I live. They play in the Evo-Stick League too and are a good little club with a decent local following. I watched them against Liverpool Reserves a couple of weeks ago in the cup - they played pretty well but lost 2-1.

Their ground backs on to Knowsley Safari Park. So if you fancy an amazing day out, you know where to come...

Been to Prescott amongst others (semi plug, I blog about my non league travels in the link in the footer). Worst ground I've EVER been to is Leigh RMI, the toilets were outside, so you could have a piss & still watch the game.

Now moved to a soulless sports centre which is becoming more common nowadays :(

Since moving to Manchester, getting to the Ricoh is a bit of a chore so Altrincham are my nearest team (Technically it's Man Utd but fuck ever going and supporting them). It's good watching Alty as they are shit, much like Cov so it's just a different level of shit than what I'm used to.

Obviously Cov City are and will always be my team but Alty gives my my football fix.

• Paid Members

King's Lynn were in the Conference North not too many moons ago. Despite staying in the league, they were relegated due to an issue with the ground, despite the fact they'd already reached an agreement or something. After relegation back to the level below, they later wound up getting put out of business completely. They're back under the new guise of King's Lynn Town in the United Counties League, level 9 in the league system. I've only ever been to one of tiher games and even that was to help out a friend for filming at the College, but I always look out for them as I'd always walk or drive past the ground every day in my College years.

I used to watch the whole gamut back home

Cheltenham were in the league below the conference, as were Gloucester City, and would watch Cinderford,Cirencester also Mangotsfield United, Forest Green and a myriad of others.. That part of the world is a hot bed of non league football, Beazer Homes League Rocked!

• Paid Members

I'm Everton true and true and spend most of me free cuntin wages going back and forth to Liverpool and beyond from Dublin, but I used to spend a lot of time when I was a kid going back and forth to Newsham to see me Aunty, Uncle and cousins, and they used to take me to see Blyth Spartans games, so I always keep one eye open for them...

Archived