The Non-league footy thread

spartan

• Paid Members
According to Dave Sharpe (and I have no idea where this comes from) Nuneaton are now the 29th best supported Non-League team in the country, with average gates up 18% to 974. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Ooh, where are we? - Not bad at all that.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Saturdays fixtures..

Conference Prem

AFC Wimbledon v Altrincham

Bath City v Southport

Crawley Town v Barrow

Fleetwood Town v Eastbourne Boro

Forest Green v Tamworth

Hayes & Yeading v York

Histon v Rushden & D'mnds

Kettering v Newport County

Kidderminster v Wrexham

-----

Conference North

AFC Telford v Corby

Droylsden v Gainsborough

Gloucester v Eastwood Town

Harrogate Town v Redditch

Hyde v Vauxhall Motors

Solihull Moors v Workington

Stafford Rangers v Boston Utd

Worcester v Alfreton Town

-----

Conference South

Boreham Wood v Braintree Town

Bromley v Thurrock

Chelmsford v Ebbsfleet United

Farnborough v Dorchester

Hampton & Richmond v Bishop's Stortford

Havant and W v Dartford

Lewes v Woking

Maidenhead Utd v Eastleigh

St Albans v Dover

Staines Town v Basingstoke

Welling v Weston-S-Mare

----

Hows the situation with Wrexham at the moment, owners selling or not?

i'm known locally as 'Mr Oxford City' due to my connections with the club, currently running the website (cheap plug- OCFC, the family name has been involved with the club since my late gramp in the 1930s up until his death in 2004

having a tough season in the Zamaretto(southern) Premier although had a great 2-1 win at Chippenham on Saturday.

Have been to loads of places named here, Ciren,Mangotsfield(always struggle there),Nunny,Bromley,Carshalton etc, i've missed 6 games in the past 4 seasons, home,away, league cup,fa cup,senior cup you name it, even did Truro away on a tuesday night last year, that was some trek!

notable names involved over the years, Bobby Moore managed us with Harry Redknap assisting (got us relegated!, Harry also played centre half for us!), Guy Whittingham,Garry Parker,Mark Lawrenson have all worn the blue and white hoops

• Paid Members
Draw for the Trophy Semi Finals

Darlington vs Gateshead

Chasetown or Mansfield Town vs Luton Town.

Go for Gateshead in that been playing really well lately.

Luton Town for the other.

And ahh I don't think Oxford have anything to worry about - there are worse teams i.e Halesowen that are far worse off.

Either way we've seemed to uncover a fucking diamond in Dave Challinor (him of the long throw), 2nd in the league, going for 2 successive promotions? Can we dream?

I went to see Colwyn Bay play Bradford Park Avenue in the FA Trophy on my birthday and groaned when I saw the name of the home manager in the programme, expecting transparently unattractive tactics, but was pleasantly surprised by the manner in which the opposition were dispatched 2-0.

As someone in a similar position I too have been having the same dilemma (with the ever so small difference that I'm a Tiverton Town season ticket holder and we'll be lucky to stay in the Southern Premier League!)

Not from this thread, but it seemed to make more sense replying here than to hijack Sym's topic. Paul Tatterton was a legend in defence for you lot in the late 90s. He taught me PE so we had a school trip to Wembley for the Vase final in '99.

Whenever I'm back in Somerset I try to make time to go and watch Weston-super-Mare, founder members of Conference South in 2004 and somehow surviving in it ever since. They also moved into a new ground that year, but the pitch is awful. Down the road their old home is now a housing estate.

Dunno, draw hasn't been made yet. Won't be surprised if it's TNS 'franchise scum' FC.

What was going on with them needing extra time to beat a 3rd division team at home on Saturday? As for the draw, they always used to do it after the match from the clubhouse of the home side at whichever tie S4C was featuring. With the weather causing so much havoc this season, it seems they prefer to wait until one round's completed before they make the draw for the next.

Anyway I hope it's Connah's Quay, not just because it'd be the easiest potential opponent, but it'd bring back memories of the '98 final too, which I watched on a slightly fuzzy BBC Wales analogue signal back in the day.

Draw for the Trophy Semi Finals

Darlington vs Gateshead

Chasetown or Mansfield Town vs Luton Town.

Gateshead beat Blyth fairly comfortably on Saturday and I reckon (through gritted teeth) that they stand a chance of going all the way to Wembley.

Luton must be favourites to win it though.

The game on Saturday was spoiled for me by the utter dickheads (i refuse to call them Blyth fans) behind the Gateshead goal throwing smoke bombs onto the pitch, hurling coins and other objects at the Gateshead goalie, taunting the police and generally being brainless pricks. Apologies to Gateshead and Deasy on behalf of BSAFC for this

• Paid Members

I used to love the Premier Cup!

Remember us beating Cardiff City's reserves at Farrar Road, before narrowly losing to Wrexham in the semi finals. A very young Ben Foster with some fine saves to keep the score at 1-0.

Anyway, thought this would make interesting reading - http://jonathandunt.wordpress.com/ . Not often you see blogs written by non-league players, so great to see that perspective.

Archived