The Non-league footy thread

spartan

I go to watch Prescot Cables quite a bit as they're only 5 minutes away from where I live. They play in the Evo-Stick League too and are a good little club with a decent local following. I watched them against Liverpool Reserves a couple of weeks ago in the cup - they played pretty well but lost 2-1.

Their ground backs on to Knowsley Safari Park. So if you fancy an amazing day out, you know where to come...

No Way!!

Valerie Park is approx 2 mins from my house! A fellow Prescot boy? Who'd have guessed?!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to a non-league game for a couple of years but my team has always been Bromley. Used to watch them regularly in the Ryman Division 1 South, when they were staring relegation to the Kent League in the face. Now they're flying high in the Conference South and I don't get down there. Strange stuff.

I'm in too minds about it. Ignoring AFC Wimbledon, who were formed for the right reasons and deserve every success they get, the likes of FCUM and AFCL will, at least short term bring a bit of money to the non-league game in terms of away travelling support etc.

A sizable percentage of AFC Wimbledon fans are arseholes and hypocrites. The rest of them hate those arseholes for giving them a bad name.

• Paid Members

Born and bred in Gateshead and brought up to support my local side, so been a Gateshead fan for as long as I've loved football. (well, the past 16 years anyway, not counting my bandwagon jumping days of being a kid).

As you'll guess, I'm very chuffed over the result from the past weekend. :thumbsup:

I haven't been to a non-league game for a couple of years but my team has always been Bromley. Used to watch them regularly in the Ryman Division 1 South, when they were staring relegation to the Kent League in the face. Now they're flying high in the Conference South and I don't get down there. Strange stuff.

Been to Bromley many a time with Carshalton Athletic (have family who have worked for or been involved with the club for about 40 years). The thing I remember is the worst car park EVER! That bloody great hole in the ground the second you get in to the place is a shocker!

Also when I was in my teens I moved to Yorkshire and went to see Frickley Athletic as they played just down the road. Not bad and pre-season was always fun with games against Rotherham when Shaun Goater played there.

• Paid Members

Not strictly non-league I know, as you can't qualify for the Champions League by winning the Blue Square South! But I support Bangor City in the Welsh Premier. Currently top of the league, 8 points clear. I can hear the Champions League anthem playing in my head....

• Paid Members
Bangor? Pah!

COME ON THE ANCIENTS!

The druids could be back in the big time next season though!

www.cefndruidsafc.co.uk

How's Dunty doing for Prestatyn, Gaz? He's a fucking good lad, him. Quality Rugby player as well.

Possibly the best keeper in the Welsh Prem, which is incredible given his size. I have good banter with him on Twitter too.

Jon%20Dunt.jpg

• Paid Members
We're having real problems with the new pitch though Gaz. I suppose that's the problem with building a new stadium on an old quarry.

Really? Drainage?

Haven't been to the Rock yet, but was quite regular at Plaskynaston when I lived in Ruthin for a while.

• Moderators

Yep. Ground is always fucking waterlogged. Shame as it's an awesome new ground for this level.

How's Dunty doing for Prestatyn, Gaz? He's a fucking good lad, him. Quality Rugby player as well.

Possibly the best keeper in the Welsh Prem, which is incredible given his size. I have good banter with him on Twitter too.

Jon%20Dunt.jpg

He's possibly one of the hardest lads I've ever known as well. Really, really good lad. I don't think I've seen a sport he's shite at either.

• Paid Members
Not strictly non-league I know, as you can't qualify for the Champions League by winning the Blue Square South! But I support Bangor City in the Welsh Premier. Currently top of the league, 8 points clear. I can hear the Champions League anthem playing in my head....

No worries mate, Irish Prem or Welsh Prem deserves some coverage/discussion.

Shit going on at Chester City, crowd trouble.

http://www.chester-city.co.uk/latest.asp

Archived