The Non-league footy thread

spartan

Everybody has to be registered of course but surely they have a reserve team? My mate plays in the Kent County League and they have FOUR senior teams. There's literally no reason for this. Even if the reserve team acts almost like a seperate club under the same banner (very common), there's no reason to have seven players for a game, none.

Yeah, fair point. A reserve side didn't even occur to me. Judging by this though, there may have been a reserve side that all fucked the manager off too:

"I texted 22 players on Thursday and seven said they were unavailable," Youngman told BBC Sport.

And, just as I post about Barrow AFC's tragic form this season, I see tonight's local paper's front page: Manager Dave Bayliss has gone! Fucking hell.

The 'Barra' fans on the non league forum seem delighted, I'd be delighted if Oxford City could actually get themselves out of the bottom 3.

Our february looks painful travel wise, Barrow, Workington and North Ferriby all away, looking an expensive month for myself!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the English system is far more logical and better worked. Although a pyramid system of sorts is now in place in Scotland. The whole trialists thing is madness really, for years its been a recipe for disaster in amateur football with players registered as juniors playing fr a junior team on Saturday but still turning out in Sunday amateur games. This still goes on despite carrying up to a 2 year ban if caught. In fact the sunday league I referee in is the only league in Scotland to my knowledge where a trialist has to produce photographic I.D. before being allowed to play.

No, it doesn't. Scotland is a case study in how to punch below your weight in almost every aspect. This is non-league thread, I can discuss this!

They basically merged the South of Scotland and East of Scotland Leagues to create the Lowland League, ignoring a dozen junior clubs who refused to apply on technical grounds. There's no open gangway or re-election as yet, probably never will be. I wrote a massive blog about this a while back, there needs to be two designations for teams in Scotland; professional and amateur. If you pay players or aspire to pay players (Queen's Park being the notable exception), you're a professional club. If not, you're amateur. That's it! Senior clubs are clubs with a certain level of facilities and they receive a certain grade dependent on how good those facilities are. If you have inferior facilities, you're a junior club. It could all be so simple but they'd rather make it hard.

Is the whole season not complete murder with Oxford City being in a Northern League?

Oh it's a pain in the arse, last season was a novelty, but the novelty started to wear thin when we had to go to Colwyn Bay on a Thursday night!

We look forward to Leamington and Gloucester away because your arse isn't numb by the time you arrive

Yeah, the English system is far more logical and better worked. Although a pyramid system of sorts is now in place in Scotland. The whole trialists thing is madness really, for years its been a recipe for disaster in amateur football with players registered as juniors playing fr a junior team on Saturday but still turning out in Sunday amateur games. This still goes on despite carrying up to a 2 year ban if caught. In fact the sunday league I referee in is the only league in Scotland to my knowledge where a trialist has to produce photographic I.D. before being allowed to play.

No, it doesn't. Scotland is a case study in how to punch below your weight in almost every aspect. This is non-league thread, I can discuss this!

They basically merged the South of Scotland and East of Scotland Leagues to create the Lowland League, ignoring a dozen junior clubs who refused to apply on technical grounds. There's no open gangway or re-election as yet, probably never will be. I wrote a massive blog about this a while back, there needs to be two designations for teams in Scotland; professional and amateur. If you pay players or aspire to pay players (Queen's Park being the notable exception), you're a professional club. If not, you're amateur. That's it! Senior clubs are clubs with a certain level of facilities and they receive a certain grade dependent on how good those facilities are. If you have inferior facilities, you're a junior club. It could all be so simple but they'd rather make it hard.

They didn't 'basically merge' the South of Scotland League. Dalbeattie Star and Threave Rovers were the only ones to leave the SOS. Technically East Kilbride did too but seeing as they had only just applied to the SOS and moved on without ever playing a game. You are right beyond that though. It is more just another step below League Two than a pyramid. Nobody goes up or down in the Lowland League at the moment. Even after this season, a team could go up but no one has been relegated. You look at the Junior teams and in terms of fanbase/quality of team there are a number who would boost the lower leagues.

I was at Auchinleck Talbot/Stranraer yesterday and Talbot matched Stranraer for more than the two games. However, the flip side is the lack of floodlights, suitable toilets, tannoy system. Junior clubs know what they have to do to join the "pyramid" but they don't seem to want to. That's entirely up to them and I'm sure some of them simply feel it would be detrimental to the club to move into the senior ranks.

I think 'of sorts' is adequate enough to describe what is/will be in place. If the proposed idea of a promotion play-off between the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues, with promotion to League 2 for the winner, goes ahead then surely that is a pyrmaid system as there is a clear promotion/relegation between the 4th and 5th tiers for the first time?

With the junior clubs it's not just techinical reasons like grounds, floodlights etc ( the bronze membership needed for the Lowland league doesn't require floodlights anyway as far as I'm aware) that have led to them not applying. There is a real worry amongst the top junior clubs that joining the new set up would be disatrous financially. I've spoken to fans of a few clubs, Petershill and Arthurlie for two, and they really would rather keep the junior setup as it is and have their local derbies and the traditional big games against the likes of Pollok and Irvine Meadow, which in turn is making the committee men nervous about home match attendance figures shoudl they join a new set up and play the likes of Spartans.

I'm not in favour of abolishing junior football at all although I would like to see a little bit more forward thinking and progression from those clubs. I'd like to see more community work being done by them and having childrens and youth teams from a young age being established. Cost isn't even an issue because with a little bit of work junior clubs would easily qualify for the SFA quality mark because they have a clear pathway and having the gold level mark would open up a number of funding streams. Even at that, cost isn't any excuse because I know a guy who's run an established boys club team from under 12 all the way up to a good standard amateur team, winning numerous trophies along the way, just by fundraising and applying for grants.

Archived