The Non-league footy thread

spartan

• Paid Members

Well, I was a couple of seasons ago. Being born and bred in Gateshead, that's who I support, have done for 15 years from the heights of two back to back promotions to the lows of being in the Unibond and nearly going out of business. Firm believer in supporting your local team.

See you on the 26th Spartan :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I was a couple of seasons ago. Being born and bred in Gateshead, that's who I support, have done for 15 years from the heights of two back to back promotions to the lows of being in the Unibond and nearly going out of business. Firm believer in supporting your local team.

See you on the 26th Spartan :)

Looking forward to that game immensely. Should be a cracker, with some great banter between the two sets of fans as always.

Nuneaton Town. Hopefully not Conf North for any more than this one season, but the way we've been messing things up in recent weeks suggests a play-off spot is probably still the most likely option.

Yep, Nuneaton Borough for me as well. I don't think we'll finish top (games in hand are ridiculous again this year) but I'm confident we can get promotion this season.

• Paid Members

Not exactly Conference North..Kidderminster Harriers will always be my non-league team - Although now I live nearer to Solihull Moors (who I go and see with mates who support them), its still only a 15-20 minute train ride from Solihull station.

Not far from the play offs even though we had 5 points deducted, the away win at Cambridge helped - you can catch Conference games on that Premier Sports Channel (and streams are available)

• Paid Members

Been bitten by the Non League bug, was at Kidderminster Harriers recently so decided to follow and support them since they're in my hometown and need the support at the moment (and now I live in Solihull I go see Solihull Moors when I can with some mates), also interesting to see clubs like FC United and Maine Road up in Manchester too..

Come on then, who's your team from Conference downwards...

I went to see Gateshead play every now and again when I lived in Newcastle, canny little side with former Magpies youth player Kris Gate leading the line.

I did an awesome job getting them into the Football League on Football Manager as well.

• Moderators

Wrexham. All fun and games at the racecourse ground as well yesterday.

We lost 2-7 at home to Gateshead after a decent run of form. Anyway, Wrexham's owner is an asset stripping fuck, and he's been banning Anti-Moss (That's him) and Anti-His Business interest banners from the ground. Of course, he went to the BBC and said he's banned Anti Dean Saunders banners (of which there are none, he's a very popular manager these days) in order to make the fans look shite in the press. He's also trying to sell us to Stephen Vaughan, who Joe Mills could tell you all about. Anyroads, after the game the Wrexham front line ripped advertising hoardings for Moss and his Co-Conspirators down from the stands, and had a long protest at the administration after the game. It's an interesting time to be a Wrexham supporter. And not in a good way.

• Paid Members
Wrexham. All fun and games at the racecourse ground as well yesterday.

We lost 2-7 at home to Gateshead after a decent run of form. Anyway, Wrexham's owner is an asset stripping fuck, and he's been banning Anti-Moss (That's him) and Anti-His Business interest banners from the ground. Of course, he went to the BBC and said he's banned Anti Dean Saunders banners (of which there are none, he's a very popular manager these days) in order to make the fans look shite in the press. He's also trying to sell us to Stephen Vaughan, who Joe Mills could tell you all about. Anyroads, after the game the Wrexham front line ripped advertising hoardings for Moss and his Co-Conspirators down from the stands, and had a long protest at the administration after the game. It's an interesting time to be a Wrexham supporter. And not in a good way.

Trust me you could have Steve Evans, be thankful it isn't - btw I think your game against AFC Wimbledon is on the telly on Tuesday, and I could say a lot about our owners for nearly putting us in financial shit, but thankfully its starting to sort itself out now thanks to the Supporters Trust and donations.

As I was just saying in another thread, I support Nuneaton Borough, currently of the Conference North. I'm an exile these days, but only as far as Leicester so I still get back for most home games.

It's been a tough few years for the club. After a run of making the playoffs for a few seasons and everything generally looking rosy with a new stadium and that, we went out of business (seemingly overnight...) and were demoted two divisions. We came straight back up over two years, and are currently top of the league...Although second place Alfreton have eight games in hand...Still, playoffs again this year for sure, and I feel confident.

Speaking of Solihul Moor, they have one of the nicest club houses I've been in on an away trip.

• Paid Members
As I was just saying in another thread, I support Nuneaton Borough, currently of the Conference North. I'm an exile these days, but only as far as Leicester so I still get back for most home games.

It's been a tough few years for the club. After a run of making the playoffs for a few seasons and everything generally looking rosy with a new stadium and that, we went out of business (seemingly overnight...) and were demoted two divisions. We came straight back up over two years, and are currently top of the league...Although second place Alfreton have eight games in hand...Still, playoffs again this year for sure, and I feel confident.

Speaking of Solihul Moor, they have one of the nicest club houses I've been in on an away trip.

Yeah its a nice one indeed Nigel isn't stupid with his money and is a nice guy and cheap prices too, the Moors manager Bob Faulkner recently died after almost 25 years there a few weeks ago.

Shit, I didn't know Bob Faulkner had died. Always remember him from the trips to Moor Green before the place got burned down.

I've decided my second favourite non-league team behind Boro is Leek Town now. They've let me in to do some reports a few times, it is a proper old-school, falling apart ground, but they have the best pre-match and half time music I've ever heard-full of absolute classics from the 50's and 60's.

As for Nuneaton (I still can't get used to the Town suffix), the good thing about Conference North is that living in Stoke for uni makes it really easy to get to a load of away games. Especially as I'm not keen on going to home games particularly-Liberty Way is just a non-league equivalent of these new soulless stadiums in the league that are all the same and have no atmosphere. And as I'm sure you'll know Alexander, the whole thing is just nuts and bolts, so if Neale decides he's had enough, he can pretty much take the whole ground with him.

• Paid Members
Shit, I didn't know Bob Faulkner had died. Always remember him from the trips to Moor Green before the place got burned down.

I've decided my second favourite non-league team behind Boro is Leek Town now. They've let me in to do some reports a few times, it is a proper old-school, falling apart ground, but they have the best pre-match and half time music I've ever heard-full of absolute classics from the 50's and 60's.

As for Nuneaton (I still can't get used to the Town suffix), the good thing about Conference North is that living in Stoke for uni makes it really easy to get to a load of away games. Especially as I'm not keen on going to home games particularly-Liberty Way is just a non-league equivalent of these new soulless stadiums in the league that are all the same and have no atmosphere. And as I'm sure you'll know Alexander, the whole thing is just nuts and bolts, so if Neale decides he's had enough, he can pretty much take the whole ground with him.

Yeah they had a tribute day to him last weekend, hammered Corby Town 7-2, not bad for a send off! - Completely off topic but there is an AFC Liverpool - http://afcliverpool.org.uk/go/

I wasn't aware of AFC Liverpool till I read about them in When Saturday Comes the other month. It seemed like they were trying to hop on the AFC Wimbledon/FCUM bandwagon in terms of using a bigger club for attracting support, publicity and commercial gains, but it hasn't really happened for them.

I'm in too minds about it. Ignoring AFC Wimbledon, who were formed for the right reasons and deserve every success they get, the likes of FCUM and AFCL will, at least short term bring a bit of money to the non-league game in terms of away travelling support etc. but I'm not entirely sure they were formed for the right reasons. FCUM seems to be very hypocritical, happy with their club being franchised until they get some owners they don't like and throw their toys out of the pram. While AFCL seems to be formed on the simple basis that Premier League ticket prices are too high. To me, if you're not happy with how your club is going, by all means go and support a local non-league side. There are loads of teams around Merseyside and Manchester that could do with even a small amount of this support, there is no need for these 'breakaway' clubs.

However, I suppose that link, however tenuous to a big club is always going to make more money, and attract the plastic fans that go to OT or Anfield once a year more than a Maine Road or Prescot Cables ever would.

Archived