Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

• Awards Moderator

Has anybody thought about Sheamus as a potential Undertaker opponent at WrestleMania? It's a possibility ... and it could be half decent.

It would explain the RAW/SmackDown discrepancy with Taker returning to the former and Barrett being on the latter, and would free Barrett up for a Corre-Nexus 4-on-4 thingy. It doesn't look like the Triple H return is happening anytime soon, and I'm not sure if two HHH-Sheamus Mania matches in a row would be a route they'd go down, so it'd give Sheamus something to do - other than a Triple H match, I can't think of anywhere other than MITB where he might fit on the card, and that'd be a bit of a step down for him - and it'd be reasonably uncomplicated to build him up as a legit threat in the weeks leading up to the show. He could even attack Undertaker on the 21st, ruin his return, and challenge him then. Play up the 'is Taker healthy' aspect, have him do the mindgames thing, and so on.

Hell, you could even have Triple H come in at Mania and take Sheamus out, giving him a big "he's back! At WrestleMania!" moment and setting up his return feud ...

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind seeing Taker vs. Sheamus at WM at all.

... Just me, then?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think given the gong at the end of the latest vignette, they'll be teasing it as 'Taker's return and it'll turn out to be Sting. And it will be the dullest thing that ever happened. Sting doesn't even work out regularly. He's in his 50's. And he hasn't had a good match in 10 years.

That said, he's met all the criteria for Vince signing him.

• Paid Members
I think given the gong at the end of the latest vignette, they'll be teasing it as 'Taker's return and it'll turn out to be Sting. And it will be the dullest thing that ever happened. Sting doesn't even work out regularly. He's in his 50's. And he hasn't had a good match in 10 years.

Despite the fact it has been revealed that WWE are only interested in signing talent under 30 now?

• Paid Members

Also despite the fact although he doesnt "work out" he has gotten into shape and lost weight since he first turned up in TNA, and the fact hes had some amazing matches in TNA with the likes of Kurt Angle and AJ Styles?

If you dont like sting its fine, but to say hes been flat out "Fat, Old and shit" since hes been in tna would be a bit wrong.

• Paid Members
Of course how silly of me. That hard and fast rule that saw Booker T and Kevin Nash return. I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

One-off spots in a forty man Royal Rumble for nostalgia, which WWE has been known to do in Rumbles with 10 less participants. Neither have wrestled since, one in fact has become an announcer and the other has signed a legends contract. I would be surprised to see either wrestle on PPV.

• Paid Members

Sting is 51 years old and a needle hasnt touched his arse cheek since 1998. Last year he dislocated his shoulder and wrestled in a t-shirt for the first time in his career. Before his shoulder injury, he looked better than most of the WWE or TNA headliners. And Stings had more good matches in the last 5 years than he had throughout 1996-2001. Sting carried Abyss to a decent match in 2009. Fucking Abyss! And Sting is now one of the best promos in the business, which is something considering he always looked like he was reading off the back of JJ Dillons dinner jacket when he was in his pomp. You must not have watched him. Ever.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members
Has anybody thought about Sheamus as a potential Undertaker opponent at WrestleMania? It's a possibility ... and it could be half decent.

It would explain the RAW/SmackDown discrepancy with Taker returning to the former and Barrett being on the latter, and would free Barrett up for a Corre-Nexus 4-on-4 thingy. It doesn't look like the Triple H return is happening anytime soon, and I'm not sure if two HHH-Sheamus Mania matches in a row would be a route they'd go down, so it'd give Sheamus something to do - other than a Triple H match, I can't think of anywhere other than MITB where he might fit on the card, and that'd be a bit of a step down for him - and it'd be reasonably uncomplicated to build him up as a legit threat in the weeks leading up to the show. He could even attack Undertaker on the 21st, ruin his return, and challenge him then. Play up the 'is Taker healthy' aspect, have him do the mindgames thing, and so on.

Hell, you could even have Triple H come in at Mania and take Sheamus out, giving him a big "he's back! At WrestleMania!" moment and setting up his return feud ...

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind seeing Taker vs. Sheamus at WM at all.

... Just me, then?

I think that was actually one of the rumours making the rounds just before Undertaker got injured again. Having HHH take out Sheamus after Sheamus looks like cheating his way to a victory would be a pretty cool moment. In the build up you could Sheamus brag about how he took out Triple H and now he's coming for Undertaker. It'd be great for Sheamus to be involved in something with both guys.

i would imagine sting would now hold wwe to ransom to get him to appear, wonder why they have done these videos seems a bit over the top just for the undertaker to return , i get the feeling from the video its almost like he wil be playing a ghost charecter.

• Paid Members
People are saying the use of the Johnny Cash song points towards the guy in the black jacket must be Undertaker.

But another way of looking at last night's video, is that "Ain't No Grave" was used for a video last year in which a guy believed he had what it took to end the Undertaker's streak.

It could be seen as Sting taking up the challenge and attempting to do what HBK failed to do last year.

I like that. Last nights definitely had more of a western theme for me, and I do love that aspect of Undertakers character. But, I don't think its as simple or clear-cut as being Undertaker as others are. Why is it so mysterious? Usually if Undertakers on a return, his vignettes make it 100% clear its him. Whether its his symbol, druids or simply shots of him, himself, or its simply said at the end of the clip that 'Undertaker returns'. Especially this close to 'Mania, he'd be targeting his rival/opponent on the show itself with mind games/hints that he's coming back and he's coming for them. Still early days I guess, so that could still happen but, the way it's been played so far, being so mysterious, only a view of the feet, only a date as well as many other factors lead me to believe its not simply an Undertaker return. But, yeah...early days. The next two clips may reveal more, have a total giveaway clue or actually announce, next week Undertaker returns. Seems odd to me though, last weeks clip didn't make me think of Undertaker at all, until I came on here. This weeks makes it feel like the Undertaker rumour is being played on. The way its played out so far is clearly designed to get people talking on who it is, so seems strange it its simply revealed to be Undertaker.

I'm glad they pretty much gave the game away this week with that video. Using 'Ain't No Grave' and getting rid of the rumble noise seems to be WWE consciously setting the record straight.

'Takers act is so tired though. Yawn.

Agree with both points above.

I think another change in personality/attitude is needed to rejuvenate the character - Those matches with Kane were so unbelievably shit and boring I think some fans (including myself) are having a hard time getting excited about his return on this occasion.

Its the return of Ted Dibiase and the Fake Taker from 1994. He couldn't do it at Summerslam but now he wants a shot on the biggest stage of them all.

Edit:

The scary thing is, i'm only joking a little bit.

Edited by PSF